Razer BW Ultimate

I'm thinking of getting a BW Ultimate, I currently have a Razer Lycosa. From what I've read on mechanical keyboards what makes them "better" than other mechanical keyboards, is their switches. So in the market of mechanical keyboards, is the black widow ultimate a good choice? I can get it for a good price at Amazon.
    Sig by Listrata

This is the lowest-end mechanical keyboard there is, with a lot of issues.
    Mechanical keyboards are "always" better and preferrable to membrane, but these aren't as good as virtually any other mechanical on the market.

FWIW I have one (a BW) but I have never tried another mechanical before this one.

I like it a lot but I am only comparing it to other cheap ass keyboards for 40 bucks or less.

Deleted
    I would suggest searching for "Razer BlackWidow" and "Mehcanical" in this forum. There are probably over 50 current threads regarding this and mechanical keyboards.

In short:
    - The BlackWidow is decent.
    - Cherry MX Blues are preferred for typing, not gaming.
    - You pay a bit for "Razer" and flex.

Conclusion:
    There are better alternatives. I'd recommend the CM Storm Quickfire line as a good but cheap alternative. After that you have Filco, Ducky Shine, Corsair Vengeance K-series, etc.

There are many iteration of mechanical keyboards. The MK-80 from QPAD is pretty good for example.

Guide on mechanicals. I suggest you give it a read:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/me...keyboard-guide

TL;DR
    The BlackWidow is mediocre. There are better options. Try different switches before you make your purchase.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-08-26 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    This is the lowest-end mechanical keyboard there is, with a lot of issues.
    Mechanical keyboards are "always" better and preferrable to membrane, but these aren't as good as virtually any other mechanical on the market.
    Ugh, what a shame. All the other popular mechanical keyboards don't look as nice as the blackwidow. Anyone else got input on the BW Ultimate?
    Sig by Listrata

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTitan View Post
    Ugh, what a shame. All the other popular mechanical keyboards don't look as nice as the blackwidow. Anyone else got input on the BW Ultimate?
    I'll have to disagree with you there. I think the BlackWidow looks horrid. But even so, the Corsair K90 is probably one of the better looking keyboards on the market.

I read briefly the guide someone linked, seems the MX Blues are still pretty good for gaming. The MX Black, doesn't have the clicky sound according to the guide. So I'm most likely on the search for MX blue w/ LEDs. (Preferably blue). BW Ultimate will be my choice in case I can't find something I like.
    Sig by Listrata

Deleted
    Do mind that the MX Blue switch can cause issues when double tapping as the release point is above the actuation point, meaning that sometimes when double tapping you will go up far enough to re-activate the "click", but not the actual keypress. I happen to be typing on a Filco with MX Blue switches right now, and when double tapping I can get this:

(Tapping 10 times): oooooooo

As you see, only 8 registered. I did do hover-taps, meaning that I didn't let go of the key completely (something that happens very often when double tapping in games; so called spamming).

So if I do the usual keypress, of pressing and letting go, if I hit o 10 times I will get 10 o's?

edit: The Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 was the closest I could find to the BW Ultimate, but the switches are brown -.-. Going to look at ducky now.
    Last edited by ShadowTitan; 2012-08-26 at 11:10 PM.
    Sig by Listrata

Deleted
    Of course, I was just trying to illustrate that it's a real issue (at least to some).

Pressing and letting go of the key 10 times I get this: oooooooooo (10). No issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    i had BW for a while but had to return it, the typewriter-like noise when presing keys on it was simply unberable >.<

Alright, I'll keep looking. Good news that the BW Ultimate is something to resort to though.

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    i had BW for a while but had to return it, the typewriter-like noise when presing keys on it was simply unberable >.<
    Really? Lol, that's what attracts me to it so much.
    Last edited by ShadowTitan; 2012-08-26 at 11:27 PM.
    Sig by Listrata

All mechanical keyboards makes noise though, if you bottom them out. Even blacks and browns.
    The blues will do so even if you don't bottom out and only ride the actuation point.
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    Take a peek over at the NKRO thread...
    Anti-ghosting ftl.

Overall, I've had bwu for about 3 years? maybe. It's a good keyboard, that is supposed to be big on anit-ghosting... but it obviously is not.

Lights are bright (3 settings, lowest is what I use). Macro keys are ok, except only 5. "Game" mode only works in some games, and some times.
    It's VERY loud...

I wouldn't buy another. the CM quickfire storm is my next buy..