Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am sorry I've given you the impression I don't care for new tanks. The exact opposite is true. I wouldn't have put the time in if I didn't want to help any and all tanks looking to improve. What i meant by that is that I didn't feel the need to say "hey, if you pick an ability you actually have to use that ability", since that should be fairly obvious. Do you think a mage guide would be required to say "living bomb is the highest dps choice of the t75 talents, but you have to use the living bomb in order to get the benefit," or is the fact that you have to use the button you pick obvious enough to be left out?

The DKs I was referring to are the DKs who just go through their spell book, put spells that look good on their action bars, and have at it without thinking of whats optimal or not. It's not a DK thing, all classes have this level of player. surely you've seen arms warriors using 1h weapons, or a ret pally who just chills in righteous fury despite repeated prompts from the group. What i'm trying to say is that there are many levels of players in this game. People will play the game how they wish to play it, and I will never tell them to do otherwise. I've got nothing against players who play that way, and can't fault them in any way for playing the game how they wish to play it. My target audience with this guide is anyone who sincerely wants to improve their DK tanking, and i try to give them any and all tools to do so at any level. For someone just learning how to tank I feel the simple playstyle section is enough to get started:

Single Target:
    Use FU runes (including combos of F U and D runes) on Death strike, dump Runic Power with Rune Strike, make sure you always have diseases on targets you are tanking, and dump blood runes with heart strike (above 35%) Soul Reaper (below 35%) and make sure you are keeping diseases up through Blood Boils from Crimson Scourge to maintain diseases. If you are left with an open GCD, use Horn of Winter. It's free Runic Power and should be used anytime you don't have something else to use.

AoE:
    very similar to the Single Target, except you may have to use D runes on Blood Boil (4 or more targets) or Heart Strike (3 targets or less), as well as D or U runes on Death and Decay. Try to balance survivability with AoE threat, since D and U runes spent on non death strike abilities means less death strikes. It's better to err on the side of survivability, since a dead tank doesn't hold aggro well.
    I hesitate to simply it much further because if i lay out a "rotation", I fear people will adhere too strictly to it, which is bad for blood tanking. You can't put DK tanking into a simple rotation and get good results, and i'm afraid if I simplify it too much it may do more harm than good.

I have no feelings of condescension towards tanks at any levels, and am sorry you got that impression. If you feel the guide needs to have a more simplified section for brand new tanks, I will see if I can write a section that simplifies it without going too simple, and risks doing what I mentioned above.

Problem I see with DK tanking as it is. Is that until at least 80 it is way to easy (can't talk about higher than 80 yet) There is no effort needed cooldown wise, or skillwise needed to constantly pull whole rooms/hallways.

And sorry bout the ealrier post, it's how I read it, and was thus wrong :P

Low level content is rarely balanced. Things even out when you get to 90. you'll need to be using cooldowns efficiently for 25H bosses as a DK. Especially Gara'jal...*shudder* And double especially when literally 5 seconds after you say "please don't use an external on me until I call for it" someone puts a pally sac on you out of the blue...sigh...wtb geared lvl 90 monk alt? Unfortunately the voodoo doll damage while i'm tanking isn't even whats keeping us from killing it. oh well. off-topic mini-rant over. yeah stuff balances at end game

true, what I was more aiming at is the huge gap of tanking difficulty between lower level (anything 1-85) and then suddenly a spike in "Stand in bad shit? You dead" abilities. While I am not complaining about it, it doesn't really go in a straight line. More like

1-85 Pull room after room after room
    85-90 OW FUCK dead because healer or I didn't notice anything

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    But your personal opinion people,
    Conversion or Death Siphon.
    Death Pact . It's the only choice that doesn't interfere with DS usage and is a really powerful heal.
    Conversion only works well if you're swimming in RP which you pretty much never do unless there's a massive haste buff.
    Death Siphon requires the same runes as Death Strike, usually heals less and doesn't give a shield. It's a reasonable dps choice over DS on bosses like Elegon though (+50% damage buff)
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

So wait, Death Pact?

So I should:

Summon Ghoul -> Death Pact?

Worth a shot

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    So wait, Death Pact?
    So I should:
    Summon Ghoul -> Death Pact?
    Worth a shot
    In general that's how it works :P
    Since the ghoul lasts 1 min though you can summon him beforehand if you know you're going to need a big heal soon.
    Armories:

Since summoning the ghoul no longer triggers a GCD you can macro it together with Death Pact.

I pretty much turns Death Pact into a on-demand heal, where you do not have to care about your ghoul being up or not.

Summoning still triggers a gcd - Death Pact does not.
    Armories:

Ah, yeah, my mistake there, mixed them up for some reason.

But yeah, it's viable to macro it, due to Death Pact being off the GCD.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is the DMC trinket decent or terrible? Doesn't seem all that bad to me, at least as an entry level trinket.

What do people think about the tier pieces for blood dk? What pieces should I aim for?

If you are aiming for 4pc then hands/chest/legs/shoulders would be ideal. If you are just going for 2pc, then legs/shoulders would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is the DMC trinket decent or terrible? Doesn't seem all that bad to me, at least as an entry level trinket.
    Considering how cheap you can get it (10k for all the cards on my server).
    I would say it's a good trinket to get, the stamina on it is pretty decent, and the use effect is good. Not BiS, but worth getting imo.

It's not a bad card by any means. I'm still using it for our 25H progression (since i prefer 2 stam trinkets for progression). Though I don't use any stam trinkets for gara'jal...I tend to equip the trinket that is least likely to be used as a weapon of self harm after a night of 25H gara'jal as a DK tank....

Hi,

I have 3 wep right now,

Lightbreaker Greatsword
    Starshatter(LFR)
    Screaming Tiger, Qiang's Unbreakable Polearm(Normal)

Which do you think is the best choice? Thanks

I'd use lightbreaker.
    the mastery gain from using the polarm doesn't outweigh the loss of parry (from strength), and the gain in weapon damage (in my opinion) on the LFR starshattering doesn't outweigh the loss of mastery compared to lightbreakers.

The OP needs to be updated, get rid of all those 480 stamina bonuses. You can get more than enough EH without geming/enchanting for it. Mastery > stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    The OP needs to be updated, get rid of all those 480 stamina bonuses. You can get more than enough EH without geming/enchanting for it. Mastery > stamina.
    Too bad other than JC and BS none of those professions offer a mastery bonus so unless you suggest going for 320 str with them 480 stam is still the way to go.
    The guide has more pressing issues like the walls of text, one sided recommendations for gearing/talents and a far from helpful skill priority/rotation section.
    Armories:

If you think you know a way to improve the guide, let me know and i'll see what i can do. Don't just bash it and say "it isn't helpful".
    Last edited by Reniat; 2012-11-12 at 01:49 AM.