Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Izonami View Post
    I've been a DPS since Wrath so it's hard to shake that mindset. It's just depressing when he does like 70% more damage than me on some fights. I imagine tank DPS will matter in heroics so it's not something I want to ignore entirely.

However I will try to prioritize DS usage and such.
    Well you don't want to ignore it entirely. You also have to realize everything is a process. You can't insta-learn DK tanking at a higher level overnight. Spend the time to learn your survival REALLY well before moving on to dps, so that when you do move on to DPS your survival doesn't dip. It's all about internalization. You want to be able to "auto-pilot" death strike timing (that means doing it correctly without thinking about it, not spamming it and calling it good enough) so that you can focus more on raid mechanics as well as DPS. As a DK tank (well any tank really) being raid aware is SUPER important, so the first step to being a great tank is taking the time to really lock down your survival, so you can have optimal survivability without tunneling on your runes/HP.

high level DPS works the same. It's not enough just to know how to do the highest dps, you need to practice and internalize it so you can do it while paying great attention to your surroundings. It even extends outside of wow. Any type of performance field (wow included) involves internalization and repetition so that when the time comes you can perform powerfully and consistently, be it sports, music, public speaking, video games, you name it.

Ok mini rant on performance in general over
    Last edited by Reniat; 2013-04-02 at 06:32 AM.

Yeah DS timing is pretty tricky, but I'll get it. I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Izonami View Post
    Edit: Yeah I'm super bad at Soul Reaper as Tank. I just forget to use it among all the other stuff I focus on.
    It just takes a bit of getting used to imo after that it's pretty simple - just don't use HS after 35% and get some notification for either SR proccing or it being off cd (which is within a second of each other).

Yeah good idea, we'll see how that goes.

A solid UI goes a long way in helping with getting things to be "automatic". Basically if you can train yourself to react correctly to certain stimuli (like an icon popping up that you made in Weak Auras or something) you can remove a lot of the "thought" part of your playstyle and instead rely on the muscle memory you've created through careful repetition. In other words, instead of constantly monitoring your targets health to know when to use soul reaper, create a weak aura icon that pops up when you have a blood rune available and your target is under 35% and just get used to using Soul Reaper whenever that icon pops up. It doesn't have to be an obnoxious icon, just something tastfully woven into your user interface.
    Last edited by Reniat; 2013-04-02 at 07:37 AM.

is there a set up best used in ToT on the 2nd boss ? because im using a pretty straight forward AoE build. but im just taking to much damage to my liking

Quote Originally Posted by Pazx View Post
    is there a set up best used in ToT on the 2nd boss ? because im using a pretty straight forward AoE build. but im just taking to much damage to my liking
    for our progression kill I did masteyr>hit/exp with 2 stam trinkets and used Blood Tap. Hit/exp for add damage, stam trinkets for final phase, and BT for puncture in general. He hits pretty hard, so making sure you're using death strikes and cooldowns appropriately (glyphed IBF works well here) because this one is a tank check.

Quote Originally Posted by Reniat View Post
    glyphed IBF works well here
    Wouldn't recommend this for 10H though since you really really need a full duration IBF in p2 and outside of p2 the combos shouldn't be able to one-shot you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Wouldn't recommend this for 10H though since you really really need a full duration IBF in p2 and outside of p2 the combos shouldn't be able to one-shot you.
    depends on how long you stay there. if you're going to tank him more than once (which is very likely if you are not tanking War God, which means that you are likely going to have him first going into final phase) glyphed IBF can still be utilized. He does hit very hard, but it's still the puncture that's going to kill you.

I've been killed by auto hits alone so ehh I'd rather have my full duration also the time between Jalak dying and Horridon dying was less than 90 seconds for us => I wouldn't gain anything in p2.

the time between Jalak dying and Horridon dying was less than 90 seconds for us => I wouldn't gain anything in p2.
    Is that pretty much standard for 10H? our kill this week still had 133.3 seconds of rampage, and last week horridon had a whopping 217.1 seconds of rampage. so maybe it's just a 10vs25 thing.

for our progression kill I did masteyr>hit/exp with 2 stam trinkets and used Blood Tap. Hit/exp for add damage, stam trinkets for final phase, and BT for puncture in general. He hits pretty hard, so making sure you're using death strikes and cooldowns appropriately (glyphed IBF works well here) because this one is a tank check.
    Thanks ill give it a try

Thanks ill give it a try
    Experiment with glyph of IBF. I had no idea 10H ph2 lasted so short, so if you end up tanking horridon more than twice while he is rampaging over a 90+ second period then it will likely be worth glyphing. Let me know what works for you. But the stamina trinkets + BT will definitely help if you are not already.

Experiment with glyph of IBF. I had no idea 10H ph2 lasted so short, so if you end up tanking horridon more than twice while he is rampaging over a 90+ second period then it will likely be worth glyphing. Let me know what works for you. But the stamina trinkets + BT will definitely help if you are not already.
    yeah i will try that.
    no i havent been my telents are: RB Lich DA DP RC DG. so ill try all that out when i go in next . thanks

yeah i will try that.
    no i havent been my telents are: RB Lich DA DP RC DG. so ill try all that out when i go in next . thanks
    Oh, also try purgatory. It could either buy you one extra puncture if you're the last tank and there are no BoPs available, or it could give you one get out of jail free card if you misjudge your cooldowns. this isn't a Lichborne fight.

Oh, also try purgatory. It could either buy you one extra puncture if you're the last tank and there are no BoPs available, or it could give you one get out of jail free card if you misjudge your cooldowns. this isn't a Lichborne fight.
    sure, will do. thanks

Is that pretty much standard for 10H? our kill this week still had 133.3 seconds of rampage, and last week horridon had a whopping 217.1 seconds of rampage. so maybe it's just a 10vs25 thing.
    I guess it might be standard because I don't think you can really last that long in 10H (only 1 BR, only 2 tanks and overall less tank cds).
    Ya Lichborne is almost completely useless here and Purgatory will definitely save you once or twice per fight.

Imo the things that are needed to make Lichborne useful are:
    Lack of burst damage that can kill you within <2 seconds.
    Having to stay alive without a healer.

So in current content:
    -Useless : Horridon , Tortos normal , Ji-Kun , Eyeball (healing debuff), Dark Animus, Twins
    -Grey area where I'd still use Purgatory: Primordius , Iron Qon , Lei Shen , Megaera
    -Maybe somwhat useful: Jin'rokh lightning phase on heroic , Council (if you're off-tanking the priest), Tortos heroic (thanks to the shield but I'd still say Purgatory is the save way to go)
    Last edited by Nillo; 2013-04-05 at 04:33 AM.

I guess it might be standard because you I don't think you can really last that long in 10H (only 1 BR, only 2 tanks and overall less tank cds).

Ya Lichborne is almost completely useless here and Purgatory will definitely save you once or twice per fight.

Imo the things that are needed to make Lichborne useful are:
    Lack of burst damage that can kill you within <2 seconds.
    Having to stay alive without a healer.

So in current content:
    -Useless : Horridon , Tortos normal , Ji-Kun , Eyeball (healing debuff), Dark Animus, Twins
    -Grey area where I'd still use Purgatory: Primordius , Iron Qon , Lei Shen , Megaera
    -Maybe somwhat useful: Jin'rokh lightning phase on heroic , Council (if you're off-tanking the priest), Tortos heroic (thanks to the shield but I'd still say Purgatory is the save way to go)
    sweet, very helpful for the heads up.

They're all purgatory fights for me. Too many 'oops' moments when the healers are paying attention to something other than me.* Purgatory gives them that chance to say, "Oh yeah, the tank!" Although that's partly a lack of communication in my raid. If I know I'm going to be on my own for a bit, I have lots and lots of buttons to push, but it usually comes as a bit of a surprise. Purgatory is invaluable in any raid where you don't have world-class healers. Even good healers make mistakes, and purgatory can turn those mistakes from wipes into close-calls.

*When I'm being generous, I believe they're paying attention to other people dying, or encounter mechanics. When I'm being less generous, I'm pretty sure they're watching TV or on the phone.
    Last edited by Kurgosh; 2013-04-05 at 02:52 PM.

Honestly I haven't used lichborne since it was part of the old talent tree
    even AMZ has more situational use than lichborne for progression raiding.