Thread: Space elevator

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Space elevator

Just saw this on yahoo. So how long do you guys think it will be till something like this is up and running
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10, 15 years at least.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

I don't think it will happen in my lifetime, but I'd absolutely love to be wrong.

edit - To be clear, it's a funding issue. While there are numerous technical challenges, I'd be confident in our ability to solve them if our science wasn't funded like shit compared to our war machine.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2012-08-27 at 02:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    10, 15 years at least.
    I think at the earliest is a better estimation. This isn't exactly a new concept, and I remember seeing talks of this a couple years ago. I don't see it happening any time soon.

Would like to be wrong, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    How would that even work? Would the like.. literally attach the cables to the moon? Wouldn't that interfere with the rotation of the earth and moon? xD (Sorry, haven't read the article)

Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    In other words, it is the gateway towards colonizing the solar system.
    What we really need to get in order to colonize solar systems is a rainbow bridge.

But preferably one that's not broken.
    Last edited by Galloways; 2012-08-27 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I think at the earliest is a better estimation.
    That's what I meant, yes.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

The cables can't support their own weight. I don't think that an Earth space elevator will happen any time soon.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-08-27 at 11:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not in our lifetimes. We don't have sufficiently strong materials. If there were a revolution in materials science tomorrow and we could suddenly mass produce materials stronger than carbon nanotubes, maybe, but I don't see that as likely.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't think it will happen in my lifetime, but I'd absolutely love to be wrong.

edit - To be clear, it's a funding issue. While there are numerous technical challenges, I'd be confident in our ability to solve them if our science wasn't funded like shit compared to our war machine.
    Once we learn how to mass produce carbon nanotubes, a space elevator might become more of a realistic option, for now though, we are quite a ways away.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Gundam 00, really good example of what an happen if this actually happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Probably not in our lifetimes. We don't have sufficiently strong materials. If there were a revolution in materials science tomorrow and we could suddenly mass produce materials stronger than carbon nanotubes, maybe, but I don't see that as likely.
    What is our lifetime? I am 18 and I betcha by 2050 (unless I die earlier) it will happen. There are going to be HUGE breakthroughs between now and 2050
    -K

Even carbon nanotubes weight too much for a space elevator.

Deleted
    I bet we even wont see a man on mars in next 50 years, feels like the technology progress (not talking about computers) has been as stagnant as it possible (how on earth we still use gas!).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by H3llion View Post
    What is our lifetime? I am 18 and I betcha by 2050 (unless I die earlier) it will happen. There are going to be HUGE breakthroughs between now and 2050
    I'm only about 11 years older than you, but I don't think we're going to have a space elevator in 2050.

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 04:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Even carbon nanotubes weight too much for a space elevator.
    It's not so much the weight as the tensile strength in the middle. Gravity reduces the farther away from Earth you go, and at some point, you have the mass of both the cable/ribbon and the counterweight pulling against Earth gravity. It ends up being a question of the levels of stress in the middle of the cable.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Space elevator will be built when we need to send to space a lot of materials (probably mega tons, it can be calculated) for any future purpose, untill that moment rockets are cheapper.
    This will not happen before a long time I think...

We also have to make some improvements for some specific technologies in materials science, but it won't take long on the contrary

Space elevator is a perfect and realistic idea, made up many years ago.

Deleted
    Around 50 years or so.

15+ Year Old Account
    Extrapolating from the technological advancement during the last 20 years, I predict that by 2100 we'll have achieved nothing in the area of spacetravel. Yet we'll walk around with awesome, lasershooting, foodproducing mobile phones with a teleport function.

Unless ofcourse, Apple decides to use their fresh 1 billion dollars to build said space elevator.

10+ Year Old Account
    most of the reason i linked that was because of the kickstarter link it had they have already doubled thier goal
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    I hope to one day ride in an orbital elevator (sorry, it just sounds better than "space elevator").

I also can't wait for that call for homesteaders to Mars .
    The "orbital elevator" made me think of how the Covenant are going to do a slipspace jump in New Mombassa and ruin our elevator :<