Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Upgrading to mechanical keyboard (finally). Looking for recommendations.

I've done a fair bit of research on various things, and have concluded a mechanical keyboard is going to be a huge upgrade for me...but I'm not sure which to buy. Here's what I'm looking for:

Cherry MX Blue switches
    full-size keyboard (no tenkeyless)
    not a gaming keyboard (no macro keys, I have them now and never use them)

I'm looking for good quality above everything else.

I was pretty set on getting a ducky shine, but they seem to be out of stock of blue switches.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your future lies with DAS Keyboards....

http://www.daskeyboard.com/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

DAS keyboards look nice, I especially like the look of the Ultimate one, although I'm a type-by-sighter. I know in the longrun it would help me, but I'm not sure if I could adjust very easily...

10+ Year Old Account
    Then get the Professional. :P
    "A flower.

Yeah the one without letters is just for smartasses, they make a Das with the letters on it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yeah the one without letters is just for smartasses, they make a Das with the letters on it
    I want one of the blank ones. ;p

Just imagine:

Have friend over.
    Friend asks, "hey can I use your computer?"
    "I'd rather you didn't....."
    "Too bad!!... WHOAA WHAT THE THE KEYS!!!!"

"A flower.

I suggest that you try out different MX switches before you make the final decision. I have both MX blues and MX browns and I like the latter a lot more. While it still has that tactile click, it is indeed much quieter. The keyboards I have are Razer blackwidow ultimates. I'd prefer Corsair's K90, but I've tried MX blacks and reds and couldn't get used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by thorrion View Post
    I suggest that you try out different MX switches before you make the final decision. I have both MX blues and MX browns and I like the latter a lot more. While it still has that tactile click, it is indeed much quieter. The keyboards I have are Razer blackwidow ultimates. I'd prefer Corsair's K90, but I've tried MX blacks and reds and couldn't get used to them.
    If I could try out the other switch types, I would. As it stands though, I don't have access to any. I was able to true blues though and am pretty confident that I'd like those.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823839012

lil gawdy looking etc, but the board has usable macro keys and a lot of morphing ability.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I want one of the blank ones. ;p

Just imagine:

Have friend over.
    Friend asks, "hey can I use your computer?"
    "I'd rather you didn't....."
    "Too bad!!... WHOAA WHAT THE THE KEYS!!!!"

I came SO close to buying the Blank Keys one ... Mainly because when I type I Extremely Rarely look at my keyboard anyway, and it looks fucking boss.

Das Keyboard is definitely a Winner; Sleek, Simple, Sophisticated. It's a triple threat. The ONLY con I've found is that the keys which are used frequently (WASD etc) have faded slightly after about 6months of use. Not to the point where they're rubbing off, but they've just lost that 'Fresh out the Box' white glow and have gone slightly grey. Otherwise an Amazing line of keyboards.

Deleted
    Filco Majestouch 2!

Boring looking - very good build quality - fits almost any custom keycap - a lot of the cherry mxkeys available.

only minus - the price

I got a filco majestouch 2 a few weeks or so ago with the brown switches, it feels nice to type on, the only downside for me is the fact I have to go back to using a rubber dome one at work which after using mechanical feels strange.

Filco Majestouch Ninja.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823839012

lil gawdy looking etc, but the board has usable macro keys and a lot of morphing ability.
    Did you read the OP? >_>

He said Cherry MX Blue and no media keys.

The one you linked is a tacky Cherry MX Black media key covered jumbled up mess.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823816001

Out of stock currently (look at the price and take an additional 15% off and that's why) but it's mechanical (the keys that matter at least), not going to break-the-bank, and no macro keys on it
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Filco Majestouch Ninja.
    I own a Filco Majestouch 2 with Cherry MX Blues, I can second that it's a brilliant keyboard.
    You can't go wrong with a Das either. Take the Das if you want a 2x USB hub and a Filco if you want something a little plainer; both are excellent quality.

Hijacking this thread a bit since it's the same topic
    Are there any good silent mechanical keyboards with macro keys? I can't stand that clicking noise that they all seem to have. Media keys doesn't matter but it needs to have a volume controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown User View Post
    Hijacking this thread a bit since it's the same topic
    Are there any good silent mechanical keyboards with macro keys? I can't stand that clicking noise that they all seem to have. Media keys doesn't matter but it needs to have a volume controller.
    Technically, the Corsair K60/90 don't have the "click-clacky" aspects of the Cherry MX Blue switches (because Corsair implemented the reds) but still, does make some sound.
    "A flower.

I use a Ducky Shine with MX Brown switches. It's basically the same but has the added benefit of being backlit.
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Technically, the Corsair K60/90 don't have the "click-clacky" aspects of the Cherry MX Blue switches (because Corsair implemented the reds) but still, does make some sound.
    Thanks for the tip. It sounds a bit loud when you see it on streams but maybe that's just something with the streamers' microphones. Gonna see if I can find one IRL to listen to.
    Not really a fan of not all keys being mechanical though. The reviews I've seen all said it feels really strange when they mixed mechanical and rubber like that.