Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    a very good game, but it's totally different from wow so stop putting em in the same category, anyway wow will crush gw2 every day for the next 5 years at least XD
    they are totally different games but if you want to compare them for their audience, and every single marketing aspect well wow is simply unbeatable /endthread

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    This is all that I see fanboys of the game post.

Just because you like running small 5 man dungeons with no gear progression doesn't mean competitive hardcore raiders are going to like it as well. Endgame in GW2 as you call it doesn't apply to an extremely large percentage of other MMO players.
    Just because you like raiding doesn't mean everybody else in the world cares about it. It's a verifiable statistical fact that "competitive hardcore raiders" are a minority. Something like 10% of the WoW population, last I checked, and that's with Cata population numbers instead of the obviously higher Wrath numbers.

Endgame as you call it in WoW doesn't apply to an extremely large percentage of other MMO players, and there is statistical evidence for that.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Just because you like running small 5 man dungeons with no gear progression doesn't mean competitive hardcore raiders are going to like it as well. Endgame in GW2 as you call it doesn't apply to an extremely large percentage of other MMO players.
    You mean the 5-10% who actually finish the raids without using LFR?

Huge percentage.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Yeah, know, this isn't me trying to "invalidate" other people's opinions in the slightest.

I think people are confusing the words "encourage" and "force" in a lot of situations. Everywhere I go in WoW, I am literally forced to deal with the lore. I have to see the quest text. I have to deal with cinematics. I have to wait for Thrall to do his crap before we can move on with Dragon Soul bosses. I can skip the cinematics, but I still gotta wait for the characters to talk with each other.
    How do you mean "I have to see the quest text"? There's an option in the interface that makes the quest text appear instant so that you don't have to wait for it.

Yeah, know, this isn't me trying to "invalidate" other people's opinions in the slightest.

I think people are confusing the words "encourage" and "force" in a lot of situations. Everywhere I go in WoW, I am literally forced to deal with the lore. I have to see the quest text. I have to deal with cinematics. I have to wait for Thrall to do his crap before we can move on with Dragon Soul bosses. I can skip the cinematics, but I still gotta wait for the characters to talk with each other.
    Funny, I find myself being forced to wait for characters in GW2 to start their events as well. I also seem to be endlessly waiting for the large meta dynamic events to start for ages.

You need to learn how to separate your like for the game from fact.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny, I find myself being forced to wait for characters in GW2 to start their events as well. I also seem to be endlessly waiting for the large meta dynamic events to start for ages.

You need to learn how to separate your like for the game from fact.
    You're waiting around? Funny, I'm running around and doing stuff.

You need to learn how to play this game rather than act like you're doing it right, and then complaining that it's not fun to play it your way.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurumiki View Post
    I don't understand why games need an "end-game" to be considered enjoyable. Much like life, many times most of the fun is the journey, not just the destination. Sit back and enjoy the ride there, instead of making yourself miserable by rushing to maximum level to be the first person there.

I love the lack of tiered progression. Many of my friends have a lot of real-life commitments and don't have much time to grind gear; so I can play with them and we can have a good time without worrying about being two seasons behind on gear.

Right now, my favorite feature is.. crafting. I love cooking, I love the discovery system. I'm sure there's probably a list of discoveries somewhere, but I'm having fun exploring on my own. I've gotten several levels just from leveling cooking!
    To me both are equally important, however your journey will reach it's pinnacle once you experienced enough, and for those like me who can't enjoy the PVP as the sole purpose of a game it'll grow old sooner. I wanna raid and kill stuff and have some rewards for doing it. So, the end-game matters, but I'm not saying GW2 is not a good game, it just doesn't have the things I want in a Triple A MMORPG.

We all have real-life commitments, it's not because those who love raiding are lifeless goons, it's how they enjoy it, something like wow has a quite bit of everything for everyone. But most games lack certain contents that'd make everyone happy.

For me personally when I get to max level I wanna experience better stuff and for me it was always raiding and some PVP when I had a need to smash some horde scums' head.

And, for my first Hunter and DK I actually took my time and enjoyed the world around me when I leveled them to the max, I also enjoyed my rogue a lot too, as I stroke my enemies from the shadows it felt great.

All said, as someone who enjoyed Guild Wars in the past, I'm sure I can enjoy Guild Wars 2 as well, as a side gig though.
    Last edited by Darkfie1d; 2012-08-27 at 07:13 PM.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Eike View Post
    a very good game, but it's totally different from wow so stop putting em in the same category, anyway wow will crush gw2 every day for the next 5 years at least XD
    they are totally different games but if you want to compare them for their audience, and every single marketing aspect well wow is simply unbeatable /endthread

WoW's market is mostly brain dead idiots who can only play a game that requires massive addon usage to tell you what to do and when and classes that only require 3-4 buttons along with gear that requires no skill or effort to obtain. I mean do you really need an addon to tell you that you are standing in fire and need to move? Well it seems all WoW players do because they still stand in it and die. Im glad Im not part of that audience anymore. WoW doesnt crush anything except the hopes of players that one day it will return to its glory days of actual challenging content. Lets just look at how much "better" wow has gotten over the last 2 expansions

No more attunements
    No more progression
    Free epics via faceroll 5 man instances
    More free epics via faceroll LFR
    Less endgame content because each new patch makes the previous raid useless
    25% loss of players
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-08-27 at 07:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't tank, not interested.

Did you just say that competitive hardcore raiders make up an extremely large percentage of other MMO players? Do you have numbers to back that up? Besides, who said that GW2 was here to grab the interest of the raiding scene? If they were interested in that, they would have made raids, guess what? They're not. If you want WoW raids, this is not the game for you. Plain. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    You mean the 5-10% who actually finish the raids without using LFR?

Huge percentage.
    Oh I guess you're just conveniently skipping over the part where I said "hardcore raiders". If you consider LFR runners "hardcore", then obviously we're on different wavelengths.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowz View Post
    How do you mean "I have to see the quest text"? There's an option in the interface that makes the quest text appear instant so that you don't have to wait for it.
    Regardless, the point I'm making is simply that the systems in GW2 are not "discouraging" people from knowing the lore - they simply make it easy to skip the lore, if you have no interest in it, and give you the ability to quickly and seamlessly jump right into the action.

People are confusing "force" with "encourage" in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    It's great, only if it had end game...
    Oh max level are we?

You're waiting around? Funny, I'm running around and doing stuff.

You need to learn how to play this game rather than act like you're doing it right, and then complaining that it's not fun to play it your way.
    No where did I complain about the game. Go ahead and point out where I did.

See, you're doing that thing again with letting your like of the game cloud your argument by making things up.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I guess you're just conveniently skipping over the part where I said "hardcore raiders".
    I didn't. I've looked up the statistics before. wowprogress.com is admittedly not the end-all be-all source of the numbers, but you can quickly find out that it's FAR less than even 25% of the population that downs even normal-mode raiding content, let alone heroic.

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 02:13 PM ----------

No where did I complain about the game. Go ahead and point out where I did.

See, you're doing that thing again with letting your like of the game cloud your argument by making things up.
    No, I'm not doing that thing. I'm obviously just confusing you with somebody else, or even merging you two together, because I'm not taking the time to pay attention to who is responding to me.

If you were familiar at all with me, you'd have noticed my hundreds of posts complaining about the personal story, the WvW balance, the tiered traits, the specific design of Mesmer clones, about the little bugs that some vistas have that make them much harder than they should be, about the small errors I've had with mail and network connection, and much more. I don't let my "like of the game" cloud my judgment.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-27 at 07:15 PM.

Oh I guess you're just conveniently skipping over the part where I said "hardcore raiders". If you consider LFR runners "hardcore", then obviously we're on different wavelengths.
    Every game can't appeal to every player. However, aspects of the game can appeal to people who they don't appeal to in other games if done properly, most people don't have a single thing that's enjoyable. If you can't find something to enjoy in the game, move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    Did you just say that competitive hardcore raiders make up an extremely large percentage of other MMO players? Do you have numbers to back that up? Besides, who said that GW2 was here to grab the interest of the raiding scene? If they were interested in that, they would have made raids, guess what? They're not. If you want WoW raids, this is not the game for you. Plain. Simple.
    No where did I say any of that, nor am I arguing that it's a bad game. I was simply pointing out the fanboyism in another poster's post. You're unfortunately jumping on the same bandwagon twisting words and making things up.

I own GW2. I like the game.

build pics

il agree with most of what said here the game is great is it ground breaking hell no not by a long shot.i have seen a few here saying its the best mmo ever very bold statement and one that can't be made until the game has some xpacs under its belt the game may feel fresh and new for all that are playing it. now i said the same thing about wow rift and SWtor guess how many of them I am playing right now 1 and that is rift.my point being give the game a chance before you start calling it the king of mmo

If people want to raid hardcore they would play Rift or Everquest, which are niche games that cater mostly to raiders. WoW is just carebear land for people who want free loot without putting in any effort. It stopped resembling a raiding game when patch 3.0 hit the live servers.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-08-27 at 07:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamCast View Post
    I just have to say, it's been a long time since I stayed awake 30 hours for a game, I think the last time was in burning crusade wow when i was doing my Kara Attunement (Also good times) and trying to gear up.

I just love the art style, the cities look absolutely incredible, the combat is fluid although I am still getting used to perfecting it. I just love the gimmicky stuff in the game too. The pvp is also just so addictive, I would gladly pay a sub for this.

Finally a MMO that has me hooked again!
    I agree with everything here. I have never played an MMO as much as I have been playing GW2. Not even WoW when it was fresh (and i played WoW alot)