10+ Year Old Account

Photoshop for Vegas

I'd like to create a small logo + website URL only covering the chat portion of the WoW videos I render in Vegas. I'm a noob in PS, have used Vegas much more though. I record in 1680*1050 and render in 1920*1072.
    How would I go about creating one?
    Last edited by Vargur; 2012-08-27 at 07:32 AM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

make a new thing on photoshop with that is 1920*1072 pixels and fill it with crap
    Last edited by skatblast; 2012-08-27 at 07:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    make a new thing on photoshop with that is 1920*1072 pixels and fill it with crap
    I should mention, I'm using CS6. There's no File > New Thing in it.

1) Don't upscale in rendering. Either render at 1680x1050 and accept the extra black bars leaving youtube to handle it, or buy a new monitor to be able to play on native 1920x1080. Upscaling from 16:10 1680x1050 capture to 16:9 1080p will reduce quality and either cause distortion in proportions or add extra black bars at the sides. It will also increase filesize with no match in increased quality.

2) <nope>

3) Basic foolproof procedure for adding a logo in Vegas would go something like:

- Take a screenshot of your video and load it into image editing program
    - Cut out and make transparent all parts you want to see through leaving only the logo opaque (position and size of your chat box)
    - Resize your logo to fit the opaque portion
    - Save picture into some format that retains the transparency information (alpha channel), png and tiff for example should work.
    - Load the picture into Vegas on it's own video track, stretch it to duration of whole video, move the picture track to be the topmost (highest priority) video.

* User was infracted
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-08-27 at 01:26 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know how to do that in Vegas, I don't know how to go about doing it in Photoshop.. which was my question. :\

I've upscaled over 80 vids so far for my channel, nobody complained. I'm doing it for the people with 1920 resolution anyway, not for myself. There shouldn't be any black bars btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    I've upscaled over 80 vids so far for my channel, nobody complained. I'm doing it for the people with 1920 resolution anyway, not for myself. There shouldn't be any black bars btw.
    Was poking randomly around and most of your newest videos don't even have 1080p option. When I got to older material that did have 1080p the quality problem of upscaling was easily noticeable: names in raid frames are barely readable. This might be happy coincidence for most people, but if you compare it to true 1080p people are uploading where you can still read very small text in UI the difference is pretty big.

Anyway, the procedure outlined in my post above works for all image editing programs. Maybe try something simpler like the free paint.net instead if you have problems navigating around PS. Important things are to keep the image at the size of the video project in Vegas, and save it with full transparency/alpha channel information.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-08-27 at 09:33 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I'm not quite sure what your question is. How you create a logo? Well, draw it.

When creating something like a logo in Photoshop you'll want to work with very large sizes. Create a new document with at least 4x the proportions than what your logotype should have, create a new layer (ctrl + shift + n or a tiny button at the bottom of your Layers window) then drag the layer named Background to the trashcan at the bottom of the Layers window. Now you have a transparent workspace. Draw your logotype then save it as a PNG or whatever, make sure to save it with transparency (and to keep a PSD file for the project).

If possible, use Illustrator for images you want to be clean at any size. Illustrator is probably more difficult to you than Photoshop though and if you have a hard time getting around in it I'd probably suggest you found somebody who could do it for you. I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube channels who'd do it for free for a shoutout in a video or two.
    Last edited by mmoc0a04ed3db8; 2012-08-27 at 09:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys.

My recent vids, except Ragnaros, don't really have 1080p, no, because I had to record in a lower resolution due to HDD constraints. The blizz raid frames were reduced in size on purpose, to have more screen room. I can barely read them either, in-game.

I'll check out Illustrator, good idea.
    Last edited by Vargur; 2012-08-27 at 11:25 AM.