1. #1

    A few tweaks needed?

    Hello, i built my first computer, and i feel my method was off...

    it was a case of...ooo shiny and can afford...buy!

    Im currently running:

    OCZ petrol SSD 128 gig
    windows 7 home premium 64bit
    8 gig of ram
    Asus Nvidia Geforce GTS 450
    AMD FX(tm)-4170 Quad core processor (unlocked extra clocks to 4 with asus core unlocker)
    Motherboard- M5A78L-M USB3 by asus.

    The motherboard, ram and processor came as a package, i read on the box something about "bulldozer technology"?

    Cant remember the exact name of my powerpack but if i remember correctly its a 750 watt.

    The issues i am having snce building are as follows..

    When tabbing out of wow i somtimes get a blue screen that seems to be doing a memory dump? i always wait till it gets to 1--% before resetting as instructed.

    I cant run 2 24" monitors off my graphix card as if i do one the screen im gaming on will freeze every few seconds and i get really bad FPS spikes.

    upon start up it always asks me to run repairs but this doesnt seem to do anything.

    Lastly, if i over clock my card thrhough the Asus smart doctor and play a game it will somtimes close the game and reset the cards clocks. this is a good thing, yes. so i dont over clock my car now.

    However my computer will somtimes just close wow on standrd settings if it seems to be getting too warm. is there a way around this? my case has 2 exhause fans, a 8inch front turbine and 2 side cold air intakes, aswell as a large built in fan on the GFX card and CPU.

    Sorry its a badly written post but im rushing through frustration, any help will be appreciated,

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Mechagnome RaZz0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    sweden
    Posts
    518
    I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you should have saved you money.
    And gone with like a i5 2500k cpu and at least a 560ti sense your running dual monitors.

    The blue screen i cant really help you with unless you post the error code.
    As for the computer asking to repair files every time on boot.
    It's a sign of your boot drive starting to die due to files being corrupted.

    And a 750W PSU is overkill for that rig i just hope its decent branding.
    But it should still provide more than enough power
    Last edited by RaZz0r; 2012-08-27 at 03:24 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz0r View Post
    I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you should have saved you money.
    And gone with like a i5 2500k cpu and at least a 560ti sense your running dual monitors.

    The blue screen i cant really help you with unless you post the error code.
    As for the computer asking to repair files every time on boot.
    It's a sign of your boot drive starting to die due to files being corrupted.

    And a 750W PSU is overkill for that rig i just hope its decent branding.
    But it should still provide more than enough power
    Thanks, as i say, othere then that it seems to be working fine.

    A lil off topic question now, what can i do to improve this? you say my boot drivers on its last legs, can this be remidied?

    So i would benifit more by starting again ratehr then replacing bits here and there?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz0r View Post
    I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you should have saved you money.
    And gone with like a i5 2500k cpu and at least a 560ti sense your running dual monitors.

    The blue screen i cant really help you with unless you post the error code.
    As for the computer asking to repair files every time on boot.
    It's a sign of your boot drive starting to die due to files being corrupted.

    And a 750W PSU is overkill for that rig i just hope its decent branding.
    But it should still provide more than enough power
    KK #1 if your pc crashes for any reason windows 7 will say its repairing things, SSD and this does not automatically mean failing boot drive, it could be and id look into it asap tho. 4170 is a damn good little cpu it will play everything on max w/o issues, wow it wont stay as great as an i5 but you act as if its not capable because it didnt live up to its hype, oh and btw the 4100 series did live up to the hype, but its not the "TOP" of the food chain so its neglected and tossed aside as trash. If the i5-i7 both sucked it up big and the i3 was a huge success we wouldnt hear about it for nothing.

  5. #5
    Mechagnome RaZz0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    sweden
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    KK #1 if your pc crashes for any reason windows 7 will say its repairing things, SSD and this does not automatically mean failing boot drive, it could be and id look into it asap tho. 4170 is a damn good little cpu it will play everything on max w/o issues, wow it wont stay as great as an i5 but you act as if its not capable because it didnt live up to its hype, oh and btw the 4100 series did live up to the hype, but its not the "TOP" of the food chain so its neglected and tossed aside as trash. If the i5-i7 both sucked it up big and the i3 was a huge success we wouldnt hear about it for nothing.
    Yea i know it will say that if windows crashes but hes getting it on every boot witch is a clear sign that the Boot drive is about to fail as windows detects errors every time the computer boots
    and i never said that the CPU where bad i mean its still a decent cpu but the i5 2500k is still better for gaming in the long run it gives you more bang for your buck

    Quote Originally Posted by saracen View Post
    Thanks, as i say, othere then that it seems to be working fine.
    A lil off topic question now, what can i do to improve this? you say my boot drivers on its last legs, can this be remidied?
    So i would benifit more by starting again ratehr then replacing bits here and there?
    the only thing i would really recommend upgrading is your GFX Card to ether a 560ti or if you have the money a 660ti.
    unless you want to start completely from scratch.

    As for your boot drive im not sure if there is any thing you can do i would start by getting Blue Screen Viewer.
    To help figure out whats causing your computer to crash you can get it here.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

    You can also run a memtest for a few hrs to make sure that you don't have faulty ram.
    You can find memtest over here http://www.memtest86.com/
    Download it and burn it to a bootable CD and boot from it
    There is prob nothing wrong with it but it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by RaZz0r; 2012-08-27 at 05:01 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •