Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    $60 on vanity armor (ie, pay for the new expansion just for the vanity armor)? If I'm reading you correctly, I have to just laugh...I'll buy the expansion, for the content. The "vanity armor" is just a bonus, above and beyond that, and allows goals to be set. It's the exact same model that worked for years in GW1, so such skepticism is unwarranted.
    Yea, I know what you are saying. I feel I could do this (raid without gear) in WoW because the content is sufficiently engaging; at least so far as it's not outlived its useful life, such as the current set of content in WoW. But that's mostly because I enjoy the people I play with. I'll reiterate what I've said 3 times now; I'm hopeful for explorable dungeons as engaging content.

This game seems like it has a lot of content to play around with. I suppose it matters how much time you have to put into it as to how much (or how little) it seems to the individual. I work two jobs, so I get to play a couple hours (5ish max) a day and Even with the headstart, I still haven't been able to 100% Plains of Ashford (Charr starting area). I'm ALMOST done though! Doesn't help that I keep getting side tracked into doing Dynamic events that pop up out of nowhere while I'm out exploring (not that I'm complaining!).
    Now as far as gear goes, iirc, <that other game> implemented something recently that made players want to go get gear for cosmetic reasons. Nothing wrong with having an epic looking piece of armor. At max level your gear will still make you a bad mamma jamma.

I haven't seen anyone mention (I might have missed it in all the Game Vs. Game comments), but there are tiers of gear that I have found. Located in each race's capital city will be a set of three vendors that sell Tier 1 through 3 of Cultural gear (like RSE gear from FFXI) each with better stats than the last and each set costing more Karma than the last (Tier 3 costing 63k karma per piece I believe). This would, essentially, be that "gear treadmill" everyone is talking about since you can't get karma on the AH with gold, or with gems(afaik) but only by completing events in world. And since each piece costs quite a bit, it will take time to save up and acquire a full set of each.

TL;DR
    This game has lots to do, you just have to look for it. Especially if you have limited time to play it.
    There is a gear treadmill, sorta, just not in the traditional sense and it's pretty much optional but still there.
    Last edited by BahamutOmega; 2012-08-28 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Spelling