1. #1
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    183

    i7 860 & HD 7950 bottleneck?

    Hi guys!

    I've been running an i7 860 @ 3.4GHz /w 2x HD 5850 1GB for 2.5 years now and I felt it was time for an upgrade.

    I no longer want a CF setup, to many driver issues when games have just been released.

    So I decided to get a mid to high end card, that can handle things on it's own. I fell for the Asus Radeon HD7950 DirectCU II Top V2.

    Though, can my i7 860 @ 3.4GHz keep up with the HD 7950 3GB? Will it be bottlenecked by the CPU or should it be fine?

    Thanks.
    Last edited by Astug; 2012-08-27 at 03:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Elemental Lord Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    8,231
    The word "bottleneck" is used way too much, yes you'll be perfectly fine.
    CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4.7GHz MB: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1-Gaming 1519MHz Boost RAM: Corsair Pro 16GB 1866MHz
    SSD: Samsung 850-EVO 500GB PSU: Corsair RM550 CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Monitor: 1440p Dell U2515H 1080p LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2015 || AV-TEST 2014

  3. #3
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    The word "bottleneck" is used way too much, yes you'll be perfectly fine.
    Thanks. My bad, didn't know how to say it in a different way. I was just worried.

  4. #4
    Elemental Lord Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    8,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Astug View Post
    Thanks. My bad, didn't know how to say it in a different way. I was just worried.
    Nah you're fine it made perfect sense, it was just a general statement and like I said you have nothing to worry about.
    CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4.7GHz MB: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1-Gaming 1519MHz Boost RAM: Corsair Pro 16GB 1866MHz
    SSD: Samsung 850-EVO 500GB PSU: Corsair RM550 CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Monitor: 1440p Dell U2515H 1080p LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2015 || AV-TEST 2014

  5. #5
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Nah you're fine it made perfect sense, it was just a general statement and like I said you have nothing to worry about.
    That's great to hear. I hope it'll fit in my case. It's a very close kind of thing.
    Last edited by Astug; 2012-08-27 at 04:04 PM.

  6. #6
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,280
    I'm running an i5 760 @ 3.8 - 4.2 GHz (I change it often) and two HD6900-series GPU, and I'm in no way bottlenecked by my CPUs ability to keep up.
    You should have no issues whatsoever.

    Out of curiosity, what games are you looking for an upgrade in? And remember that to utilise your current crossfire setup, you must run fullscreen without windowed.

  7. #7
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I'm running an i5 760 @ 3.8 - 4.2 GHz (I change it often) and two HD6900-series GPU, and I'm in no way bottlenecked by my CPUs ability to keep up.
    You should have no issues whatsoever.

    Out of curiosity, what games are you looking for an upgrade in? And remember that to utilise your current crossfire setup, you must run fullscreen without windowed.
    That's great!

    Currently I'm mostly playing BF3, D3 & GW2. GW2 is having some CF issues atm, a new CAP should be out soon I read but still. However, my main reason is for future games and being able to run BF3 on ultra. The 5850 only has 1GB VRAM, this does not stack in CF so I get insane stuttering with textures on ultra in BF3.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •