Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    I don't like the way achievemts are presented in the game, you dont get any notification of you guild members achievement, nor any cool sound when you get one.
    WoW and especially Rift got much better system (loved the collectables in Rift)
    Guildies don't really need to know your achievements when you get them (can't you just link them?) and you get a message on the right side of your screen saying the achivement, its icon, and what you did. It's not in the middle of the screen blocking your vision when you are doing something.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a nice tracking feature, especially if you didn't know about something in advance.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I like the way they did them. Some of them act like dailies, giving you little rewards for doing stuff that you were doing anyways, on a day to day basis (some are even weekly and monthly). Aside from those, I like them being there as a way to keep track of some things. Jumping puzzles for example; it's nice to get that achievement for doing them (other than the chest, if the puzzle has a chest).

I am a fan of the way they are presented when you complete one that rewards you with something as well, just a nice little animation down in the lower right hand corner, barely taking up and screen real estate. You don't need your entire guild to see them, and chat is filled with achievement spam, especially if you're in a larger guild. And there is a way to see others achievement scores; it wont tell you what individual achievements they have done, but if they are on your friends list and online, you can see their actual total points.

And as noted earlier, there are sounds for them. If you aren't hearing them, you may want to adjust your sound settings. With all the spoken dialogue that happens in this game, I turned up certain sounds and turned down music a bit and the sounds from abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    With so much emphasis on breaking away from the current mould by ArenaNet are achievements necessary in guild wars 2? And if you feel they are/are not please state why or why not.
    Are offering "virtual shinnies" for people who feel they need a "virtual shinny" to do something and like that little popup when they complete something... kinda like giving out "well good job for trying (and coming in last place)" trophies to little kids so they don't feel bad because it makes them think they did better then they really did.

Are they needed for a majority of the people playing? Eh hard to tell how many people feel a need to see the shinnies. But it does give many people an objective to do something they may otherwise not do because they want to complete everything.

Anyways it doesn't hurt the game at all to offer virtual shinnies, in fact the way daily achievements have a chance to reward you with gem store items it does give a reason to at least do all the dailies when you play even if your not a "competitionists".

10+ Year Old Account
    Achievements in GW2 don't feel the same as achievements in WoW. O_o

Not good at explaining why it's different. The kinds of achievements in each are just... different.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 01:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    I don't like the way achievemts are presented in the game, you dont get any notification of you guild members achievement
    Oh good, I don't have to see 50 "GRATZ!" pop up in guild chat whenever I gain a level.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

So do you feel achievements should or shouldn't be in the game?

Some people just posted about their likes and dislikes with the gw2 system and ignored the question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    So do you feel achievements should or shouldn't be in the game?
    At worst they don't add anything to the experience. It's not like they take something away. And I think it's rather nice how they implemented daily rewards in the achievement system.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    At worst they don't add anything to the experience. It's not like they take something away. And I think it's rather nice how they implemented daily rewards in the achievement system.
    Not to mention monthly. I'm not gonna get the chance to complete August, simply because I'm not planning to dive into WvW until they switch to the 2-week battles...

Not to mention achievements, account-wide achievements, like "Greatsword Master, 500 killing blows!"
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Dunno but they seem fun to me and definitely better implemented that SWTOR's I never have been a huge fan of achievements but I do find myself enjoying them in GW2 for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    Dunno but they seem fun to me and definitely better implemented that SWTOR's I never have been a huge fan of achievements but I do find myself enjoying them in GW2 for some reason.
    Mostly because it's not one-and-done silly things like "Hey, you collected 100 pets!" "Hey, you did all the quests in this zone!" "Hey, you got a mount!" "OMG GRATZ YOU'RE MAX LEVEL!"
    Here's a tabard! And a title! Or maybe a mount, or a pet! NOW GO COLLECT MORE OF THEM, TO GET ANOTHER ACHIEVEMENT!

It's things that are actually fun to do. I get rewarded for zone completion, sure, but that's not really an achievement in the achievement window. You get rewarded for doing events. For killing enemies. For killing a certain variety of enemies. For killing enemies with certain weapons. For gathering so many times. For salvaging so many times.

And it's all daily and monthly. It basically rewards you for playing the game frequently/often.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-28 at 03:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Achievements in GW2 don't feel the same as achievements in WoW. O_o

Not good at explaining why it's different. The kinds of achievements in each are just... different.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 01:11 AM ----------

Oh good, I don't have to see 50 "GRATZ!" pop up in guild chat whenever I gain a level.
    Shhh people like being the ubber snowflake showing "HEY IM COOLER THAN YOU" on the guildchat, link a interesting weapon you got and everyone is going to be "woah", plus it makes no conversation whatsoever, "Gratz" spam all the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if I do see an awesome weapon model, or do something awesome, I'll talk about it in chat myself and maybe stir something up. If I just link an achievement, that's just E-PEEN waving.