Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is your power consumption when running WoW at Ultra settings?

Hello guys,

I play WoW on ULTRA settings.

My spec:

CPU: Intel Yorkfield, Quad Core, Extreme QX 9650, Undercloked at 1.7/2.6 GHz.
    GPU: Gigabyte Nividia GTX 580, Underclocked at GPU clock 684 MHz and Memory Clock 820 Mhz.
    Memory: 4 Kingston 1 GB sticks, underclocked at 357.8 MHz.
    MOBO: ASUS P5Q Deluxe

Power Consumption:

CPU, idle: 6.79 Watts
    CPU, medium load: abt 12 Watts.
    CPU, playing WoW at Ultra settings : 15-25 Watts

GPU, idle: 12.5 Watts
    GPU, medium load: abt 35 Watts
    GPU, playing WoW at Ultra settings :40-88 Watts (depending on game activity)
    =====================================================================

I get abt 48-170 FPS, depending on location and how crowded the place is, or whether it's a raid or BG, etc.

Edit: I play at 1920X1080, single monitor.
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2012-08-27 at 06:11 PM.

I don't see what you are trying to accomplish. If you want to save power, get a low powered system. Thats like buying a large suv and driving it under the speed limit to save gas.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

Not exactly sure what you're measuring your consumption with, but your numbers are way, way off. A C2Q @ 2.6Ghz is still going to have a full load power consumption around 100w, and a GTX 580 underclocked by only 88Mhz is going to be around 220w under full load. Slap in around 35w for your motherboard, 8w per mechanical drive, 2w per fan (including CPU heatsink), and a few watts for your RAM and you're looking at around 400w under max load.

Sure you're not maxing your hardware while playing WoW, but I have no doubt whatsoever that your setup is still pulling well over 250w playing it.

If you want to get an accurate reading of your consumption, you need to get a power meter at your wall socket and take the power pulled and calculate the (advertised) efficiency of your PSU into that number.

EDIT: Is it even worth your time to save the power? Standard rule of thumb in the US is that running a 100w light bulb 24/7 all month will cost around 10 bucks. Let's say your system at normal clocks pulls in 450w under full load. Now factor in that no game actually 100% maxes your system, and that you're obviously not gaming for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Idle (or even browsing / watching videos) computer systems pull tiny amounts of power around the 30w mark.

So even if one gamed for 40 hours a week, you're looking at pulling 370w~ under gaming load for that duration. Divide that by the approximate 720 hours a month, and you get less power consumed than that 100w light bulb running 24/7 mentioned earlier.

What does it all mean? Underclocking your system like that may save you a whopping $1.50 a month.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-08-27 at 06:37 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Your readings are completely inaccurate. No way that hardware is drawing so little, even if it is underclocked.

Not exactly sure what you're measuring your consumption with, but your numbers are way, way off.
    No, they are not.

My CPU readings are reported with ASUS EPU-6 Engine v 1.01.17.

My GPU readings are reported through Gigabyte OC GURU Version 1.25.

These readings are not quite as accurate as if I had a watt meter connected at the mains, but they are a quite accurate ballpark figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    No, they are not.

My CPU readings are reported with ASUS EPU-6 Engine v 1.01.17.

My GPU readings are reported through Gigabyte OC GURU Version 1.25.

These readings are not quite as accurate as if I had a watt meter connected at the mains, but they are a quite accurate ballpark figure.
    Yeah, they are.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Process...er-Consumption

You're claiming your system consumes as much power while gaming as a C2Q + GTX 280 (lesser power consumption than a 580) setup does at idle.

It's impossible. I'm not sure why you think that a 10% underclock on your CPU and GPU would result in a 60% reduction in power consumption. Simple logic applies here.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

/facedesk @ logic!

No, they are not. I am not claiming anything, you are making your own claims you give your own responses. BTW, my CPU is a C2Q.

Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2012-08-27 at 08:49 PM.

Did you just take a picture of your desktop? Teehee
    Last edited by protput; 2012-08-27 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    Did you just take a picture of your desktop? Teehee
    Made me laugh a bit to xP

@Synthaxx:

21W usage for my CPU at stock clock speeds sounds about right. I got about 25 W reading with ASUS EPU Engine with my CPU underclocked at 2.6 GHz.

Also, my CPU is a Core 2 Quad not a Core 2 Duo.

So you're saying a 125 watt power supply would be enough for your build?

Find a 125 watt PSU that you can use in your build, I dare you.

10+ Year Old Account
    underclocking is pointless, CPUs and GPUs throttle when idle to save power, nor does it let you run at the same performance as stock, it gives almost no advantage anywhere, your games run slower, and you save diddly on your power bill, nor does it save the environment, computers are nothing more than organized functional pieces of toxic waste

also, software doesn't show true power draw

@Synthaxx:

Core 2 Duo were the earliest Core 2's made, and as the name suggests, they were a dual core (2 cores) achitecture CPU.

Core 2 Quads are the latest Core 2's made, and as the name suggests, they are a four-core chip (2x Core 2 Duos per).

----------------------->So, there isn't such a thing as a Core 2 Duo QX 9650, but there actually is such a thing as a C2Q QX 9650.

the extra time it takes to complete things, the lower performance, and the potential stress this could cause.
    I am not seeing any of these. WoW has got the same performance for me with my CPU OC'd @ 4.2 GHz as it has with my CPU UNDERclocked at 2.66 GHz. This is actually the reason why I underclocked it in the first place.

^^From my experience as noted above, I conclude that MY CPU's speed has got absolutely NO effect whatsoever on WoW. The GPU does, however, have a rather huge effect on WoW performance. The performance difference between my old ATI RADEON HD 5830 and my new Nividia GTX 580 is rather huge.

----------------------->In addition, operating a CPU and a GPU underclocked, means that both parts work at lower temperatures, thereby REDUCING the temperature induced wear-and-tear both on the said components as well as on the MOBO chipset itself.

Further, there is no such thing as "stress" applicable to an $1k Extreme CPU such as mine, especially when it works underclocked.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2012-08-28 at 01:19 PM.

@Synthaxx:

Core 2 Duo were the earliest Core 2's made, and as the name suggests, they were a dual core (2 cores) achitecture CPU.

Core 2 Quads are the latest Core 2's made, and as the name suggests, they are a four-core chip (2x Core 2 Duos per).

----------------------->So, there isn't such a thing as a Core 2 Duo QX 9650, but there actually is such a thing as a C2Q QX 9650.

I am not seeing any of these. WoW has got the same performance for me with my CPU OC'd @ 4.2 GHz as it has with my CPU UNDERclocked at 2.66 GHz. This is actually the reason why I underclocked it in the first place.

^^From my experience as noted above, I conclude that MY CPU's speed has got absolutely NO effect whatsoever on WoW. The GPU does, however, have a rather huge effect on WoW performance. The performance difference between my old ATI RADEON HD 5830 and my new Nividia GTX 580 is rather huge.

----------------------->In addition, operating a CPU and a GPU underclocked, means that both parts work at lower temperatures, thereby REDUCING the temperature induced wear-and-tear both on the said components as well as on the MOBO chipset itself.

Further, there is no such thing as "stress" applicable to an $1k Extreme CPU such as mine, especially when it works underclocked.
    I have no more faith in this topic, your not pulling less than mobile wattage from your desktop, if you think you are then your ignorant to all the facts put in front of you and argumentative for nothing. On topic I use nothing green, I drive a big ass cadillac escalade, I love big macs in the box and sometimes I just spray aerosol into the ozone. Guess my wattage @ peak.

Also reducing the speed of your cpu makes it harder for the CPU to do things, i.e STRESS not the same thing as doing a stress test to induce a bsod.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 03:25 PM ----------

This just proves a number of things, closest frequency shows 6watts @ 2.4Ghz we will chock that up to voltage.
    However the chances your voltage is low enough to half the wattage @ 2.4Ghz is highly unlikely.

Furthermore this will show likely a semi overclocked system of a much more efficient design @ idle with a 580 and many other gpus'
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2012-08-28 at 03:30 PM.

@Milkshake

Thanks for taking the time to find those great tables. I maintain that an Extreme CPU like mine cannot be considered stressed anywhere below 4.0 Ghz. And, oh yeah, I love green.

@Milkshake

Thanks for taking the time to find those great tables. I maintain that an Extreme CPU like mine cannot be considered stressed anywhere below 4.0 Ghz. And, oh yeah, I love green.
    Your missing the part that overclocking doesnt STRESS your cpu, it alleviates stress, requiring more to bog it down. So your actually increasing the stress to your system by underclocking. Again we are not talking about wear and tear from higher temps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has nobody pointed out how the GPU program measures energy saved in watts/hour?

Also, your cpu undervolting program has shown you've saved about 35 cents worth of energy in the last 2.5 months.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account

^^From my experience as noted above, I conclude that MY CPU's speed has got absolutely NO effect whatsoever on WoW.
    unfortunately, your conclusion is wrong, queue up for LFR, set all settings to ultra, and run ultrax 25, both underclocked and overclocked, use a 3rd party framerate benchmark such as fraps, you will see not only a noticeable difference, but a huge difference, the fact that wow's framerate is related to core clock speed is a well known fact and cannot be debated

The GPU does, however, have a rather huge effect on WoW performance. The performance difference between my old ATI RADEON HD 5830 and my new Nividia GTX 580 is rather huge.
    that is only going to make a difference when you are running a large resolution, ie greater than 1080, when you run 1080 or less, a simple 550ti is more than enough for WoW

yes there is, being a bit blunt, but your "$1k Extreme CPU" is crap on a stick compared to mine, and i can stress mine, your CPU is dated and 4 generations old, it's not that good anymore and i doubt it can run wow as good as a 2500k or 3570k at the same clock speed,

if you really want to run power efficient, go out and get all new parts, new 600/7000 series GPU, new ivy bridge CPU, new PSU
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-08-28 at 05:54 PM.

@Synthaxx

I just asked what is your power consumption at ultra settings, and you are giving me the story of your life and then you are telling me that I suck, because my $1k CPU is able to play a 7 year-old game underclocked.

I really don't care what is the model and make of your CPU and sorry, I am quite happy with my QX 9650 which is able to run WoW at ultra settings underclocked.