Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I could post screenshots to prove it, but since we are getting back on topic...

I think features are more important, to an extent, as long as the graphics are playable. For instance, when I tried the GW2 beta, I enjoyed the game, but the graphics were just so freaking terrible that I could not tolerate looking at them. So I did not enjoy myself and stopped playing. It would have been fun if the graphics weren't so painful on my eyes.

I have not noticed any of the instances that the OP mentioned about it just not looking right, other than the bugs. I do wish they had delayed the launch to include more required features though, I think we would be looking at rising subs instead of falling if they had released it in say April or May with all of 1.3s features.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the graphics complaints I remember are the people complaining over how cartoony it looks. IMO a cartoony art style ages better than the more realistic approach.

The graphics themselves are fine. The art style is what players seem to either shy away from or run toward. I enjoy both realistic and stylized art in my games, so TOR never bothered me. The gameplay had some bumps I just couldn't get over, so I ended up unsubbing several months back.

I am okay with any style - cartoony, realistic, epic - as long as it's executed right. In the end, all I care about in graphics is if the game LOOKS GOOD. SWTOR looks good. If there is a reason I unsubbed - it would definitely not be graphics.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree with OP. In 2012, graphics are important in an mmo as well as any game. I won't look at a game if it is sub-par. Every time I get the urge to sub back to WoW, I log on with my lvl 20, walk around a bit and realize it was all just misplaced Nostalgia.

However, I want both. Good graphics and gameplay. I can't comment on SWTOR as it's still not available in SA as far as I am aware last I checked, but even if it now is, it's missed the boat.

GW2 and Rift deliver quite well on both of these fronts, imo, so it's not impossible. WoW just needs to get the graphics right. I wouldn't exactly call them cutting edge on animations either. I think this is an excuse used when people haven't actually seen what the competition do and just believe "hear-say".

Sorry, but no. TOR gets shit on in the graphics department. No amount of disingenuous cheerleading is convincing enough to say it has graphics that can approach:

Last edited by Arlee; 2012-09-10 at 02:35 PM. Reason: fixed picture size

Quote Originally Posted by Magzilla View Post
    Sorry, but no. TOR gets shit on in the graphics department. No amount of disingenuous cheerleading is convincing enough to say it has graphics that can approach:
    This is just another approach in graphic design, 2nd mmo they code, there are still things that look really terrible. Someone might not like this uber hero art style every character inherit. All of the 2h swords are way to long / big, nothing to say about charrs. No Weapon swtich animation, but namely one of there key fight feature. Gross look of onehanded weapons on your hip. Known clipp problems with hair, hats, helms (swtor does have them to).

There is many discussable, but to call one game bad because of graphics is the wrong way to do this. Remeber Tetris, a game you still can play without a need for updated grafic. And after I have played kotor I and II swtor fits nicely in the style. In my opinion they have undergone a good evolution. Could be better, yes, but to call it bad (I think) is false!

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

I love swtor, much more than GW2, but I'd never say the graphics are on par with GW2. not only has GW2 the much better graphics (and I dont mean the graphic style), GW2 also runs about 10x smoother. palying GW2 after a year swtor feels like heaven.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keren View Post
    This is just another approach in graphic design*snip*Could be better, yes, but to call it bad (I think) is false!
    I just want to say thanks for your well thought opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    I love swtor, much more than GW2, but I'd never say the graphics are on par with GW2. not only has GW2 the much better graphics (and I dont mean the graphic style), GW2 also runs about 10x smoother. palying GW2 after a year swtor feels like heaven.
    This part I can 100% agree on. I don't think anyone is arguing that SWTOR has stellar optimization. I think even the most die hard fans know that the game is optimized for a computer 20 years in the future. It is unfortunately one of the most affecting problems with the game. It drastically reduces the amount of things I can do in a certain time frame which really does put me off of logging in sometimes.

Yes I realize they have fixed it so that once you are in the game, just about anyone *can* play it..albeit with an hour of loading times for 30 minutes of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    This part I can 100% agree on. I don't think anyone is arguing that SWTOR has stellar optimization. I think even the most die hard fans know that the game is optimized for a computer 20 years in the future. It is unfortunately one of the most affecting problems with the game. It drastically reduces the amount of things I can do in a certain time frame which really does put me off of logging in sometimes.

Yes I realize they have fixed it so that once you are in the game, just about anyone *can* play it..albeit with an hour of loading times for 30 minutes of play.
    They've done a lot to improve it since launch though. Those load times though -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    They've done a lot to improve it since launch though. Those load times though -_-
    Even an SSD doesn't seem to improve the load times all that much. Though you are correct, they have improved it a lot since launch... so that is enough for me to keep believing that improvements will keep on comin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Even an SSD doesn't seem to improve the load times all that much. Though you are correct, they have improved it a lot since launch... so that is enough for me to keep believing that improvements will keep on comin'!
    The worst is when you are queued for ranked and waiting for like... an hour. So you go to a planet to work on some data crons and the queue pops as you enter a loading screen... And the loading screen lasts for more than a minute.

Its like. You don't want to sit in fleet for 1+ hours waiting for the queue but you know that if you leave the fleet youll get skrewed.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I wouldnt say SSD doesnt help, I'm down to 13-15seconds from 20 on the fleet and down to 27 to 30 seconds from 45 on hoth.
    the only one still over 40 is correllia.