Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

White men - do you really feel victimized?

This isn't racial motivated at all, It's just what I keep seeing and it's quite annoying since it holds little truth.

I just want to ask a question.

On a topic about sexism eventually someone will comment something sardonic akin to this " and if you're a white man you're evil" or "if you're white you can't makes jokes about blacks" or "we all know only whites can be racist"

This happens on topics that have NOTHING TO DO WITH WHITE MEN, and yet those little snide sardonic comments will find their way into the topic. Why? Do you guys feel the need to lay down a soap box? In the topic about the women looking for female room mates I didn't see anything that would lead the topic to the comments made above, and yet it did. Why? I am quite sick of all the complaining of "whites can't xxx" or "colors can xxx and I can't " especially when it is not the case.

The notion that white comedians can't make racist jokes is ridiculous when they do. I post a video of lisa and the argument turns to "well white men can't" and yet they have... I have seen them, I find the jokes funny and I am not white.
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-08-28 at 01:26 AM.

Perhaps you should be more specific with your title. It's an apparent deride against all white men, when obviously many of us aren't that way. I've seen it, and I know who/what you're talking about, but you're inevitably going to invite a lot of discussion from "non-victimized" white men, who ironically are indirectly victimized by this thread.
    Last edited by Dendrek; 2012-08-28 at 01:28 AM.

This is the first thing I thought of when I read this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8U-FWupP-o
    D3 - Aggs 60 Barbarian | Paladin | Warlock | Shaman | Death Knight | Warrior |

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    This isn't racial motivated at all, It's just what I keep seeing and it's quite annoying since it holds little truth.

I just want to ask a question.

On a topic about sexism eventually someone will comment something sardonic akin to this " and if you're a white man you're evil" or "if you're white you can't makes jokes about blacks" or "we all know only whites can be racist"

This happens on topics that have NOTHING TO DO WITH WHITE MEN, and yet those little snide sardonic comments will find their way into the topic. Why? Do you guys feel the need to lay down a soap box? In the topic about the women looking for female room mates I didn't see anything that would lead the topic to the comments made above, and yet it did. Why? I am quite sick of all the complaining of "whites can't xxx" or "colors can xxx and I can't " especially when it is not the case.

The notion that white comedians can't make racist jokes is ridiculous when they do. I post a video of lisa and the argument turns to "well white men can't" and yet they have... I have seen them, I find the jokes funny and I am not white.
    I don't feel victimized, but I feel generally blamed for many things I had absolutely no hand in, nor would I ever condone. I could care less about jokes about me, and white comedians do makes jokes all the time that are mildly racist, but I do believe there is a small double standard. Now I don't go around complaining about it constantly unless someone straight out complains about how terrible I am, and I understand completely there are many inequalities on both sides, but that's my general view on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Perhaps you should be more specific with your title. It's an apparent deride against all white men, when obviously many of us aren't that way. I've seen it, and I know who/what you're talking about, but you're inevitably going to invite a lot of discussion from "non-victimized" white men, who ironically are indirectly victimized by this thread.
    I imagine my title will attract those people who tend to complain the most though.

White Priveledge kind of makes up for it, to be honest.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't care, people who claim only whites can be racist are them selves ignorant. Those who claim white men are evil only know of recent history and ignore their own. I generally just brush off what i hear of those types of comments, Although i get a few interesting comments due to being jewish.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2012-08-28 at 01:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As said in another thread, I feel we have reached a point where being a minority in this nation offers more opportunities and advantages then being white. In the United States anyhow, and that is just how it feels, not stating it as fact. Seems like we are influenced to be "equal" but not really "equal". I don't know how to phrase it.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Affirmative Action > White Privilege

To start, yes I am a white male. If I have complained about a situation people have honestly told me that I have no right to say anything since I am a white male. When I was in college a brother and sister were attempting to make an argument that "White" men should have to pay retribution to "African Americans" for slavery. I made the statement that I was second generation Irish and that there was no fair reason that I should every have to pay retribution, (I don't think anyone ever should for past generations) they just yelled at me to "Shut up you Racist ...."

Personally I wish that everyone would treat everyone else as a human being rather then painting them with the gender, sexual ordination or race brush.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    As said in another thread, I feel we have reached a point where being a minority in this nation offers more opportunities and advantages then being white. In the United States anyhow, and that is just how it feels, not stating it as fact. Seems like we are influenced to be "equal" but not really "equal". I don't know how to phrase it.
    People enjoy equality, unless they can gain an advantage. This is a common trait of all people.

I've never felt victimized as a white male. Regarding your generalizations, it may seem like white men are 'victimized' due to the general acceptance that someone with no face can typically be racist and sexist against them (In the US, where there is a strong Caucasian majority). As far as being sexist against them, I'm not entirely sure because in the US there is a 0.97:1 ratio of men:women.

When I say someone with no face what I mean are things like television commercials and various other advertisements. Due to the previous mentioned strong Caucasian majority you can make fun of whites and it can be assumed non-racist because the writer was likely Caucasian, I think it is just easy and popular to make fun of dumb Caucasian white male husbands in commercials and it isn't attacked by any feminism movements that way.
    Last edited by Aethilus; 2012-08-28 at 01:50 AM.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I'm a white male that is relatively strong. I can't complain.

Op just started what he hated in this thread, but he pretty much asked for it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaroth85 View Post
    To start, yes I am a white male. If I have complained about a situation people have honestly told me that I have no right to say anything since I am a white male. When I was in college a brother and sister were attempting to make an argument that "White" men should have to pay retribution to "African Americans" for slavery. I made the statement that I was second generation Irish and that there was no fair reason that I should every have to pay retribution, (I don't think anyone ever should for past generations) they just yelled at me to "Shut up you Racist ...."

Personally I wish that everyone would treat everyone else as a human being rather then painting them with the gender, sexual ordination or race brush.
    Overall people just need to not blame current society for things that happened more than 100 years ago. Not like we had any choice in the decision. And if my ancestors are complete assholes, that doesn't mean I am one.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    I don't know what you mean... What is this White Privilege you speak of? Do you mean the privilege to get passed on for a job opportunity because the employer doesn't have enough "Minorities" working for them? Or how I if I wanted to start a "Caucasian club" then I am racist but pacific islanders, African Americans or Latinos all can have clubs?

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Once upon a time there was some kind of benefit in being white, male and heterosexual. Those days seem to be long gone. To equal things out to "repay" the injustice I'm starting to get the feeling it has gone a bit to far really, I didn't do anything so why should I have to repay anything? Why do I have to pay for other white peoples guilt or burden. I wouldn't say I really feel victimized, but I'm starting to get the distinct feeling I'm getting blamed for stuff I never did and I'm somehow supposed to stand back and let other people have their turn even tho I never did anything wrong, and that is pissing me off.

If comedians, blacks, women make fun of white male people, it seems to be a common theme in comedies and commericals, that doesn't really bother me. I can take a joke. But there seems to be a limit, I can't make joke at their expense but somehow I'm supposed to just take theirs. That sucks, so I don't just take it. Which apparently makes me a bigot, a racist and chauvinist (male, sexual, whicheverkind). I find that odd.

Perhaps I should stop letting that annoy me tho cause apparently I RULE THE WORLD! I'm just waiting for my membershipcard so I can go to the meetings ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive View Post
    I don't feel victimized, but I feel generally blamed for many things I had absolutely no hand in, nor would I ever condone. I could care less about jokes about me, and white comedians do makes jokes all the time that are mildly racist, but I do believe there is a small double standard.
    Very much this.

We are victimized, and often, but not in any way that compares to the motivations. Let me explain: there are many charities that are strictly for other races and/or the opposite sex. No white men allowed. Some white men need the same assistance those other groups do, but we can't get it from those groups. That's pretty messed up that we can be discriminated against openly, and in many cases the people discriminating against us are praised for doing so.

But why is that the case? Because women and minorities were systemically treated pretty fucking awfully by white males in times past. They suffer to this day for how they were treated then. How? The equalizing measures (voting rights act, suffrage, Civil Rights Act, and much more) all tried to make us equal. They legislated equality. Well yah, great, we're all equal now.

Horrible analogy time! You are in a race on a track with 10 other people. Nine of them start walking towards the finish line before the gun goes off. The judges just watch, while you wait in the blocks. You get pissed and yell about how those guys are cheating. The judge says "Fine, fine, everyone go then" and fires the starting gun, everyone takes off running. You're all equal at that point, you all get to run as fast as you want. But you're fucked before you start.

Yes, white men get shit on. And no, we don't deserve it, because we didn't do it (not us personally, but our ancestors). But we have a decent head start, and it's hardly fair.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

To me, race, religion, nationality.. whatever, is all irrelevant. If a white guy is better for a job, he should get it over a black guy and vice versa. I've known people of all different backgrounds, and their race has never been a deciding factor in whether or not they were good friends, workers, or just people in general.

Quote Originally Posted by anaroth85 View Post

You should have used the argument that irish people at one point were also slaves at one point and were cheaper than africans at one point and were even treated worse due to their cheaper price; however, the effects of slavery didn't linger for the Irish since assimilation wasn't as difficult.

I find their argument interesting... I am black and indian and I have some white relatives and my ancestors owned slaves. The blacks in my family and the whites in my family both owned slaves. Should blacks that belonged to black families who once owned slaves also pay "retribution" lol. It's a slippery slope for those who use this argument.
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-08-28 at 02:04 AM.