Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Could a real life Batman technically exist?

I mean Batman is just a really rich guy with a fancy suit. Technically a person with sophisticated martial arts skills, highly technical gadgets and weaponry, a research and development team that makes him badass accessories and vehicles, billions of dollars, and just a shit ton of skill could essentially be a real life Batman?

Obviously this batman would have to use guns, or some variant thereof, but besides that, I see no reason why someone like Batman couldn't exist. Most of the tech in Batman, or at least similar technology already exists as Military weapons projects, it just isn't available in the mainstream, or to the wider public.

Batman seems to be a comic-book superhero that could actually potentially exist in real life.

There are some features that just wouldn't work out in real life. Like the bat grappler that let's him scale buildings. He couldn't do that as smoothly.

The bulletproof armor he wears wouldn't give him enough room to move around to fight, probably. I don't think we have that technology.

I think he would probably get killed before he made a big enough impact.
    i5 3570k
    WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    16GB DDR3 1600 Ram
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD

Most people who get that rich are only interested on keeping their wealth, I can't see them risking their lives to save complete strangers. I don't want to sound like a Microsoft fanboy but minus the guns and martial arts, isn't Bill gates doing just this, maybe he's Batman lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue is his set of skills.
    To obtain all that you would actually need years and years of training and then end up too old to use all of them efficiently.
    You might even not be able to learn all that in one life time
    Last edited by Nelavar; 2012-08-28 at 12:18 PM.

http://www.geekologie.com/2012/07/68...eing-batma.php

If you got the time to put together almost 700 million then you probably don't have the time to become a ninja, just sayin.

No. In real life we do not have the technology to make someone so agile and yet so well protected and with the endurance to fight that long covered in so much equipment and body armor. A real life Batman would be more like those wannabe's in The Dark Knight, and they'd probably get themselves killed in less than a month.

Deleted
    You forgot the important fact that nobody should take the law into his own hands ...

No. Batman isn't just super skilled, he's perfect. He is in absolute peak physical condition. Batman could go to the Olympics and he'd be just slightly better than everyone there. With his body type, that's not even possible. For example, he regularly benches 1000 pounds in his workout routine. Yet with that level of physical strength, he outclasses chinese acrobats and the best Olympic gymnasts concerning agility.

Then you have his skill set. "Wayne is well trained in multiple martial arts. His primary form of combat is an idiosyncratic admixture of Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Muay Thai, Dragon Style Kung Fu, Boxing, Jujitsu, and Ninjitsu. Wayne is one of the finest human combatants Earth has ever known." "Through his martial arts training, he has become an expert on all melee weapons. Wayne has displayed exceptional sword fighting capability and proficiency with knives, sticks and various other weapons. He practices during his combat sessions to keep his skills intact, but he prefers unarmed combat." "His Ninjutsu training has made him a master at stealth and capable of breaching high security facilities without being detected." "Wayne is an expert marksman. He is skilled with throwing projectile weapons, archery and firearms. He has been practicing such skills since the early days of his training and is almost on par with the Green Arrow in terms of accuracy."

That's too much shit for one person to learn in a lifetime. And let's not even get into his intelligence. He earned over 100 years worth of degrees in all sorts of fields by the time he was 21. No real life person, no matter the circumstances, could ever match Batman. Unless we get the technology to Matrix information directly into people's brains, but that's cheating.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2012-08-28 at 01:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    I mean Batman is just a really rich guy with a fancy suit. Technically a person with sophisticated martial arts skills, highly technical gadgets and weaponry, a research and development team that makes him badass accessories and vehicles, billions of dollars, and just a shit ton of skill could essentially be a real life Batman?

Obviously this batman would have to use guns, or some variant thereof, but besides that, I see no reason why someone like Batman couldn't exist. Most of the tech in Batman, or at least similar technology already exists as Military weapons projects, it just isn't available in the mainstream, or to the wider public.

Batman seems to be a comic-book superhero that could actually potentially exist in real life.
    Except in real life a masked vigilante would be hauled in by the police and put in prison.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

In my eyes, everyone owning enough money to pull it off (given the technology would exist), is in such a focus of papparazzis that he couldnt get 5 minutes not observed. Once we had a batman and we knew who it was he´d be dead the one way or the other.

It is possible, I've seen him.

Deleted
    Like Iron Man, the fact that it seems possible is appealing.

Deleted
    nopeeeee though ofcourse you may believe so

He would get shot on his first heroic attempt.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I am Batman!....Ohh wait I wasn't meant to say that.
    "There is no honor in mediocrity."

Deleted
    No, you may like to believe it's possible but it's not.

Somebody with a lot of money and with some kind of military equipment can take a shot at it, but he would get caught by the police pretty fast. End of story right there.

10+ Year Old Account
    In real life he'd die quite quickly, because I don't 'think' they could make a real bat suit that is as effective at stopping bullets well allowing for such bad ass fighting. If they could then it might be possible, but someone would really have to devote their lives to it, and they could never live up to the batman.

Well, we have to also consider that a real life batman wouldn't have to fight supervillains or massive hordes of evil henchmen. Becoming proficient in a technique like Krav Maga would be feasible in a shorter time and just about as useful against your average thug.

I have no idea what kind of protective gear you could get if you could literally sink hundreds of millions of inherited wealth into it. It doesn't sound impossible to have adequate protection against small arms fire while retaining enough mobility to pick tiny groups apart if you surprise them in a poorly lit enviroment.

He'd save himself a lot of touble if he used tasers and pepper spray though.

EDIT: And yes even this is in the purely hypothetical scenario that the police wouln't interfere. No one would forget seeing a masked vigilante and tips from people who've seen him would lead the police right to his doorstep.
    Last edited by Woebegone; 2012-08-28 at 01:51 PM.

Deleted
    Well first problem is money. People with enough money are usually old. Seniors dont really go around being vigilantes. And young rich guys just go around picking women, not criminals.
    Second problem is law, as pointed out. Tho he doesnt kill its victims..
    Third is probably the nature of current day crimes. Does he go and beat up bankers for doing something? Or does he go on corners beatin drug dealers who have guns. You'd have to be quite stealthy or fast to not get shot when against 3 people.

And well. It wouldnt take long to find out who he is irl thanks to modern times..sell papers to risk hes life.