Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Failed to read a required file.

Mod edit: With the new patch today, we'd prefer if people posted their problems and solutions in one thread instead of a huge pile of them, cluttering up the forum.

If you're having a problem, please post in this thread, and those that know what to do can help you out.

I have searched this problem and have tried most fixes, but none of them have worked...

I've tried ending the Agent.exe process
    I've tried deleting the folder in ProgramData
    I've tried running it as Admin
    I've tried restarting.
    I've temporarily disabled ALL shields on Avast.

I don't know what else to do

Any suggestions?

I'm trying to patch up and when I get to the optimization part I get a popup that says

"Failed to read a required file. Please close all other applications, temporarily deactivate your anti-virus software, and try again."
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-08-28 at 02:31 PM.

Deleted
    right clear on folder and change from read only
    that world of warcraft folder
    Last edited by mmoc08cd8d092e; 2012-08-28 at 01:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rextoyou View Post
    right clear on folder and change from read only
    that world of warcraft folder
    I tried that and it didn't work

stuck on checking for updates

Yo i been stuck on the checking for up dates for almost a hour...
    Anyone else have that issue?

its locking up my computer.hmmm
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-08-28 at 02:31 PM.

Also have this error - and done everything also, and cant find the repair tool file to try that out aswell ... dunno where it went lol

10+ Year Old Account
    No problem here. Up-to-date and optimized. Try rebooting - maybe even deleting the patch data.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Show hidden folders" - C: -> ProgramData -> Remove or move the Battle.net folder
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Failed to download required install file?

Any idea how to fix it?

reconfiguring game files, please wait (forever)

been stuck at 0% for about 15 minutes now and not sure why it isnt going anywhere lol.

Anyone else getting this Patch Error?

After waiting 45mins for it to get to 1% I get this, I removed all my 64bit files. Restarted PC disabled all my anti-virus stuff. Closed chrome ect...and still I get this error. Anyone have an idea to fix it?

Failed to read a required file. Please close all other applications, temporaily deactive your anti-virus software, and try again.
    youtube.com/ShammyWoWLoL

got it ty guys

Haven't gotten an error yet, but it has taken ages just to get to 1%. Just keeping my fingers crossed at this point. I'll letcha know if an error pops up though

Also experiencing this same issue. Disabled anti-virus software. Task manager closed just about everything, and yet I still get this issue. Running as Admin ect..no help.

Also removed all 64bit files, restarted PC completely, STILL NO HELP.

Update: Calling Technical Support to see if they have any suggestions. Will update when done.
    Last edited by ShammyWoWLoL; 2012-08-28 at 02:46 PM.
    youtube.com/ShammyWoWLoL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss757 View Post
    Any idea how to fix it?
    You could try removing the patch files from the TempMig folder, then starting again. Make sure that folder isn't read-only, either.

blah.. stuck at 1% reconfiguring after 40minutes

I was stuck in the same place, then I noticed a new button flashing on my Task bar. When I clicked it I found my computer was waiting for me to authorize Blizzard access to my computer (I was not logged in to Administrator). When I clicked OK, it finished almost immediately and is now optimizing.
    Last edited by Maricia; 2012-08-28 at 02:41 PM.

its saying "not connected to internet" and I have restarted my computer. I'm not to tech savvy so I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any clue whats wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    So far nothing has worked for me! D:

Not a launcher problem per se, but even though I allowed Battle.net stuff through windows firewall it keeps asking me on updates if I should allow access. Is there ant way other than turning off the firewall to give Blizzard access so it doesn't keep asking on updates?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddyv View Post
    So far nothing has worked for me! D:
    Have you ensured that all of the folders from the parent folder of WoW are NOT read-only, hidden, or locked for read/write for your account? Even an administrator can't write to a read-only folder.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdangle View Post
    its saying "not connected to internet" and I have restarted my computer. I'm not to tech savvy so I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any clue whats wrong?
    That one is harder to do. You could have accidentally blocked the updater. First, make sure you're connected to the internet. If you can browse a web page, you are. If you are, go to Control Panel > Windows Firewall. Click on "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall". You might see a pile of entries for Blizzard Agent or Blizzard Launcher. Remove them all, then click on "Allow Another Program...". Click on "Browse", navigate to the folder you installed WoW into, and select the background downloader again. You should be able to run it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Manarama View Post
    blah.. stuck at 1% reconfiguring after 40minutes
    That's normal. It might hang up to 15 minutes at 0 or 1% during the process

Quote Originally Posted by Balazaar View Post
    Not a launcher problem per se, but even though I allowed Battle.net stuff through windows firewall it keeps asking me on updates if I should allow access. Is there ant way other than turning off the firewall to give Blizzard access so it doesn't keep asking on updates?
    Yes, you can turn off the Windows Firewall, but I suggest you don't. Go to Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Home Or Private Networks, and select Off from the dropdown list.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-08-28 at 02:49 PM.