10+ Year Old Account

Things to Consider When Fearing (Fear in MoP)

MoP has brought ALOT of changes to fear, how it works, most of the changes been under the hood and easily missed, nonetheless incredibly important. I will try to comprise every Fear related change in here, and hopefully come up with some good strats (Correct me if I'm wrong in anything!)

Lets start with the "run-path" of fear, in cataclysm, and hell, for the entire history of WoW when you feared someone he would run off into some random direction (Sometimes towards you.) in Mist of Pandaria Fear consistently makes your enemy run somewhere away from you. This might suck if they are mounted, and your trying to get a long cast of, or when they have some sprint. For better or for worse at least it is consistent >,<

Blood Fear was added to make instant Fear available. Some things of not however. Blood Fear and Fear have the same "cast time" in the sense that Fear's cast time is the equivalent of 1 Global Cooldown, Blood fear has a 10 second cooldown on top of it (so if you chain fear someone he she will have consistently atleast 27 secs of DR on fear) On the other hand it eliminates the possibility of been LOS'ed, Interrupted, etc Consistency is the name of the game with Blood Fear even if it is nominally worse than fear.

Howl of Terror has been reworked extensively. Now it provides the full benefits of an instant fear. That is while in cataclysm it provided only a 6 seconds fear as opposed to an 8 second fear, now it provides the full duration. Added to this, each Direct hit reduces it's cooldown by 1 second. This effect as of now does not have an internal cooldown. I tested it against a rogue and a demo lock. Against both the cool down got reduced consistently to 20 secs. Which means you might need to watch out to howling into a DR in arenas >,<

Now the Succubus, normally considered subpar by most (including me) there was a change that could make this baby come back into the arena. The seduce still DR's with fear, HOWEVER if you take Grimoire of Supremacy and upgrade her into the Shivarra, her mesmerize offer a wide range of advantages. First of it can't be removed by tremor, Beserker rage, Lichborne, nor will of the Forsaken. Secondly it ignores anti-fear effects, meaning a priest will get Mesmerized even if he has Fear Ward (The succubus already did but worth mentioning ), and same for all of the effects mentioned earlier. The shivarra however is not without meaningful drawbacks... Her mesmerize is still channeled, and still shares DR with fear, also it now produces a rainbow effect that screams INTERRUPT ME.

If any of you know of anything I missed, or I got wrong please do tell (Even Grammar >.<)! Thanks for reading, and Good Hunting !
    Last edited by Frinkles; 2012-08-28 at 09:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wondering about the Shivarra's mesmerize. I assume since you didn't mention it, that it shares DR with fear like seduce but I just wanted to make sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol I assumed that yea xD Let me add clarification :P

This may or may not be worth mentioning, but if you take Blood Fear, and your are reduced to 10 % health or less, you will not be able to fear at all. I doubt this situation will come up often but it is something to think about.

Another fear related question, does anybody know if the damage from Archimonds Vengeance will break fear? If it did that would really suck.
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

I would assume Archimonde's Vengeance can break fear, but it's probably not likely it will exceed the damage threshold of fear alone.

Seduction has always ignored anti-fear abilities (except for Lichborne). It ignores Fear Ward, Zerker Rage, etc... Just thought you might want to edit that. Don't want people thinking it's new, just like the knock back when some known WoW player was surprised to see it and acted as if it were new, thus backing up his "nerf warlocks" theory.

"Don't want people thinking it's new, just like the knock back when some known WoW player was surprised to see it and acted as if it were new, thus backing up his "nerf warlocks" theory."

That was Swifty. I laughed my ass off watching that video.
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

question: do sleep and fear effects share dr?

so the new fear allways sends them away? -.- hope that was just a bug, i love the way it random sends them somewhere, wherever that might be

sleep? that can only be cast on feral druids and hunter pets, and i guess no
    Last edited by darkminaz; 2012-08-29 at 03:47 AM.