Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Farewell Paladins Auras

Hey everyone, first of all this is not a qq post I'm just wondering what is the main reason you guys think that Blizzard decided to finally remove our beloved auras? I mean paladins auras been there since the dawn of WoW, it always felt that these auras mechanism are also what make us more unique than any other melee class in the game. I always feel that paladins auras are one of the major aspects that define the class itself by removing them it's like removing shamans totems which also define the class.

Discuss please and thanks for reading.

10+ Year Old Account
    As iconic as the abilities were, they just weren't useful. They were removed for much the same reason that the shaman 'buff' totems were removed: they were boring and forgettable.

The new incarnation of Devotion Aura is a step in the right direction, though. Perhaps we'll see some of our other auras make a comeback in a cool-down at a later date.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Well, Crusader Aura went from being an Aura, to a passive, self-only buff, which is good by me. Means DKs and Paladins are the fastest things in the sky/ground, bar none.

Devotion - New incarnation works great, taking the old Aura Mastery, and giving it some more oomph, and putting it class-wide.
    Retribution - Ummm... when was this useful again? Oh right, if you had all the other buffs covered.
    Resistance - Meh, could be covered by a Shaman (who also gave Nature, and likely gave it on their Healing Stream Totem) and a Priest buff in any raid. Not very important. Plus, resistances as a whole are gone.
    Concentration - Not ever played Holy so, no judgement here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whilst I agree that new devotion aura is a step in the right direction, I can't help but feel the following:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes as iconic as they were to our class they were often forgotten about, how many times did you enter a group and forget to turn off crusader for example. They were just boring and perhaps may come back more meaningful someday. Less buttons in a way woo :P

I won't miss them to be honest. They were not an interesting mechanic because you just select the appropriate aura before the boss and then you never have to think of it again. Happy for the Devotion Aura change though

Deleted
    I think it is a problem that they are removing some of the abilities that define paladins but tbh I think removing auras was a good thing. They should give us back DI, now that is a real paladin ability.

loosing the not useful but still iconic aruas feels bad... maybe the should kept devotion aura as a passiv since its from wc3.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I miss my old Paladin before all the changes a couple years back :-(

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 03:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I think it is a problem that they are removing some of the abilities that define paladins but tbh I think removing auras was a good thing. They should give us back DI, now that is a real paladin ability.
    Indeed. The Paladin is supposed to sacrifice itself to defend the weak. Now it's just like everyone else. Not unique in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we should have at least one aura. Half the classes have auras. Shamans have 3 auras on them at a time. They could have replaced one of the blessings with an aura.

15+ Year Old Account
    No!! It's sanctity aura all over again!! I can't take the heartache!!
    Jorundr, Blood Elf Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Belkar Bitterleaf
    "Run, my pretty little chunks of XP, run!"

I wont miss them. Passive crusader aura and the new CD that's like AM + the old raid wall combined... nomnomnom.

And no more bitching about crusader aura, as if it were a debuff. Yes, please.

Pallies had auras since Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2.

But buffs are being homogenized even more in MoP, so there is sadly no more room for them.

Farewell, auras!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I mean paladins auras been there since the dawn of WoW, it always felt that these auras mechanism are also what make us more unique than any other melee class in the game. I always feel that paladins auras are one of the major aspects that define the class itself by removing them it's like removing shamans totems which also define the class.
    They tried to make auras useful and fun to use, but it just didn't really work out. GC actually summed it up pretty well with with a recent post.

we scrapped paladin Auras because we didn't think there was much gameplay there, but plenty of paladins rallied to their defense. They missed Auras. They didn't necessarily like the Cataclysm or perhaps any version of them, but they liked the idea and didn't want us to give up. You all posting here individually may not miss Aspects, but I have 100% confidence we'd see them requested constantly as soon as we removed them.
    It's just people and their feeling of having something taken away from them. Unrational, but expectable nontheless. The thing is: the impression of loss isn't really about what the auras actually are and the gameplay they provide, but about the theoretical idea and iconic nature of them.

When was the last time you really got any play out of the paladin auras? I have Crusader and Devotion macroed to my mount on my Prot Paladin, automatically switching depending on wether I'm mounted or not. That's about it. And it's actually annoying.

I really think calling the auras an unique and class-defining mechanism is a strong exaggeration. They're just passive buffs and don't influence the feel of your character or the way you play at all. The whole interaction with paladin auras consists of making sure you're in the right one before the first pull. And there's no potential situations of trade-off whatsoever, because 90% of the time, there's one definite aura for every spec anyway.

There wasn't really any "mechanism" to them at all. Therefore, I absolutely don't see how they supposedly defined the Paladin class. They were of course iconic as an idea, but they never managed to translate the idea into actual gameplay (as opposed to druid animal forms, for example).

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now what am I gonna do in farmed raids for the lulz, no crusader buff displaying to be told why you using crusader aura .

I actually kept changing my auras for about 2 minutes before I logged off last night. Farewell my little friends!

I will certainly miss Sanctity Aura.

Wait a second...

Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    As iconic as the abilities were, they just weren't useful. They were removed for much the same reason that the shaman 'buff' totems were removed: they were boring and forgettable.
    You clearly have not been in LFR with a Paladin (like me) who refused to use anything but Crusader Aura. "Forgettable". Hah!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Whilst I agree that new devotion aura is a step in the right direction, I can't help but feel the following:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Love it!

Deleted
    To be fair, in my 10 man I did get a decent use out of Auras.
    I was the only one able to provide Fire Resistance and extra Armor.
    It was very rarely choose one at the start of a fight and forget about it. When we were doing Heroic Morchok for example I was constantly switching between Devo and Resistance Aura and that reduced the damage by a far greater amount than I would have had to heal if I'd just picked one and forgot about it. To say there was no gameplay with them is wrong.

That said. In MoP with spell resistances being gone, the only real useful aura would have been Conc Aura, and there is no point keeping a class mechanic in like that for just 1 useful aura.