What kind of GPU can I put into this motherboard?

I'm currently running on my back up computer while I wait for a replacement motherboard. I want to be able to play WoW but it looks like onboard graphics will not be supported as of 5.0.
    The specs on the system are

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 2.66GHz
    RAM 4.0GB
    Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0RY007 (Socket 775)
    Graphics: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

The specs on the motherboard are

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    Model 0RY007
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model P35/G33/G31
    Chipset Revision A2
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model 82801IR (ICH9R)
    Southbridge Revision 02

Does my motherboard support adding a graphics card? PCI or PCI-E?
    Last edited by Johnx014; 2012-08-28 at 09:27 PM.

That motherboard supports PCIe x16 so you can put any GPU in it. The thing you have to be weary of is the wattage of your PSU, and how much your CPU will bottleneck it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rytalin View Post
    That motherboard supports PCIe x16 so you can put any GPU in it. The thing you have to be weary of is the wattage of your PSU, and how much your CPU will bottleneck it.
    Forgot to mention I have a 300 watt PSU. Thanks for the info. I'm a bit of a noobie. What do you mean by "...how much your CPU will bottleneck it"?
    Last edited by Johnx014; 2012-08-28 at 09:32 PM.

Bottleneck is where your system is weakest. So you could put in an okay GPU or you can put in a top-of-the-line one, but they'll run about the same because your CPU will be holding back any potential speed upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    Bottleneck is where your system is weakest. So you could put in an okay GPU or you can put in a top-of-the-line one, but they'll run about the same because your CPU will be holding back any potential speed upgrade.
    Oh thanks. My budget is going to be roughly 35 dollars so bottlenecking won't be a problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnx014 View Post
    Oh thanks. My budget is going to be roughly 35 dollars so bottlenecking won't be a problem.
    Looking on newegg.com your best choice would then be either a Radeon HD 6450 or a GeForce GT 610 with the former being 3 dollars above your budget due to shipping. Both cards are bad. Next one in line that is worth mentioning is the GeForce 9800 GT, $63 (shipping included).
    Last edited by mmoc05ec9a3aca; 2012-08-28 at 09:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My budget is going to be roughly 35 dollars
    Honestly just find some clunker PCI-E card on craigslist. There's no point in paying retail prices with that much money.

Since I'm only going to be using the thing for the next couple of weeks I'm just going to buy the cheapest card I can find at Best Buy and then return when my main computer is fixed. Best Buy is very lenient with returns.

Since I'm only going to be using the thing for the next couple of weeks I'm just going to buy the cheapest card I can find at Best Buy and then return when my main computer is fixed. Best Buy is very lenient with returns.
    I work in retail, and this is despicable.

I nearly face palmed for real.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2012-08-30 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    I work in retail, and this is despicable.

I nearly face palmed for real.
    eh, when i worked retail all those years ago, i prefered these customers over the ones that kept bringing in those shitty offers from sites like pricegrabber, etc demanding some insanely low price.

OP Craigslist one, you'll find something more decent than dropping 35 bucks at bestbuy tbh, and it'll do for the time being.
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2012-08-30 at 07:20 AM.