Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Did your "main" class end up disappointing you?

Anyone else feel let down by the class they were expecting to be using as their main?

So i'll get straight to the point. As someone who always plays rogue/thief types in MMOs (FFXI for 3-4 years, WoW for 5+) and other games that aren't MMOs (online and off), I've found the thief in GW2 to be quite disappointing. Stealth plays such a tiny role that it hardly feels like a thief/rogue class, and honestly I feel a bit too inclined to use pistol/dagger & shortbow in pvp while focusing on bleed damage as my seemingly best option. The damage feels too based on bleeds and the burst seems lacking for the class in general. There are also too few weapon choices for thief, give them axes or maces or even a 2h sword would be very interesting imo.

Despite this, I still play and level my thief sometimes (mostly because I feel obligated as someone who always plays the type and my brain keeps telling me it'll get better at some point), but to my surprise I've been enjoying warrior quite a bit so I'll probably be sticking with that unless something changes to the thief class.

edit: this thread isn't just about thieves, but feel free to discuss it or whatever class you feel like
    Last edited by Ralamus; 2012-08-28 at 10:17 PM.
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

Nope. I love my warrior - we are having a good time!

I knew from Stress tests and BWEs what Im getting myself into.

Funny how it affects you, since I never liked Rogue and ninja in ffxi was absolutely lame. Yet, I enjoy Thief in GW2 quite a lot! It's evasive attacks are awesome and the stealth requires you to use it wisely rather than whenever you feel like not being noticed. Great balance imo.

Deleted
    Fairly satisfied with my choice, always played melee characters in games and having a blast with a warrior.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralamus View Post
    Anyone else feel let down by the class they were expecting to be using as their main?

So i'll get straight to the point. As someone who always plays rogue/thief types in MMOs (FFXI for 3-4 years, WoW for 5+) and other games that aren't MMOs (online and off), I've found the thief in GW2 to be quite disappointing. Stealth plays such a tiny role that it hardly feels like a thief/rogue class, and honestly I feel a bit too inclined to use pistol/dagger & shortbow in pvp while focusing on bleed damage as my seemingly best option. The damage feels too based on bleeds and the burst seems lacking for the class in general. There are also too few weapon choices for thief, give them axes or maces or even a 2h sword would be very interesting imo.

Despite this, I still play and level my thief sometimes (mostly because I feel obligated as someone who always plays the type and my brain keeps telling me it'll get better at some point), but to my surprise I've been enjoying warrior quite a bit so I'll probably be sticking with that unless something changes to the thief class.

edit: this thread isn't just about thieves, but feel free to discuss it or whatever class you feel like
    You have been playing easiest class in the game = rogue in wow, and you thought in others games will be the same lol.

Let's not go down this path, it leads to gave vs. game discussion and ruins threads. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-08-28 at 10:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I rather enjoy my Elementalist. Haven't done much in terms of PvP but the abilities from a 2 Handed Staff are just awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Funny how it affects you, since I never liked Rogue and ninja in ffxi was absolutely lame. Yet, I enjoy Thief in GW2 quite a lot! It's evasive attacks are awesome and the stealth requires you to use it wisely rather than whenever you feel like not being noticed. Great balance imo.
    was referring to thief in ffxi, ninja was weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    You have been playing easiest class in the game = rogue in wow, and you thought in others games will be the same lol.
    facepalm. take your trolling / stupidity to another thread.
    Last edited by Ralamus; 2012-08-28 at 10:26 PM.
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

Funny how he never mentioned difficulty. Just because they're dominating, doesn't mean that's why he likes the class. Notice how his whole post is about play style and the like.

Deleted
    I quite enjoy thief partly because they aren't heavy on stealth, although the limited weapons are a bit annoying.

Nope. Fully knew what I was getting myself into with a guardian since the start and I've been enjoying the hell out of it so far.

Deleted
    Yes I levelled a necro but I tried mesmer for the first time last night and have been hooked ever since. But I have to say;

The damage feels too based on bleeds and the burst seems lacking for the class in general. There are also too few weapon choices for thief, give them axes or maces or even a 2h sword would be very interesting imo.
    Get dagger storm and collect heads

Deleted
    I'm using dagger/dagger, with the two aoe stealth abilities, smoke wall and the stealth heal. Taking the trait that blinds when you stealth and then pretty much constantly using the 5 ability to stealth everytime the debuff runs off me. So far it's just about the best thing I can think of for utility when I did Ascalonian Catacombs and with all those backstabs the damage is nice and bursty. I'm 37 at the moment and I really do like this build for blind mitigation. It's also the one I use in sPvP, pistol/pistol is my offset, just so I can back out when I get low and heal is on CD, dropping the 6 second stealth pulse and Unloading twice for Lifesteal combo field and then jumping right back in. It's tough to say whether or not I'm doing more damage than other players, but I tried sword/pistol and a single backstab was usually doing more damage (single target) than an entire pistol whip slash and I applied blind much more regularly with stealth than the smoke field from pistol. Didn't mean to make this a build thread, sorry. On-topic, I was also a little disheartened by my Thief but I'm back into it now after trying a few alts.

Deleted
    Even if it don't take much skill to play a rogue their skill cap is still fairly high when it comes to that game, low skill floor while taking skill to truly master.

I little bit. Elementalists feel like they are spread out a bit too thinly over the 4 attunements. Guesstimating CDs while heavily depending on them is not my ideal idea of exciting combat. Maybe I'll plunge deep and go Mesmer after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests
    I thought I'd love the necromancer because of how awesome the gameplay looked on it, but I ended up sticking with melee characters because that's what I find most enjoyable.

Deleted
    Let me tell you this... If you do it right, the burst with a thief can be devastating. During BWE3 I could crit 10k+ on medium armored players in spvp with backstab + some triggs, after that you just spam heartseeker and they're down! So, you could basically oneshit a clothie with a bit of luck. I'd say that's fairly good burst

Anyhow, I really love the thief, the stealth mechanic feels harder to "master" if you will than in other mmos (WoW lol), and try sword MH pistol OH for PvP, the damage will be quite low, but you'll have a blast harassing enemies with the number 2 skill.

I do agree on the weapon choices, I'd atleast like swords for OH, that would give a couple more combos and could be interesting. I like the 2h Sword idea though it would be highly impractical for a sneaky/stealthy character to rock around a huge 2h sword =P

was referring to thief in ffxi, ninja was weird.
    Thief is ffxi had nothing to do with stealth, or 'rogue-classes' in general though... It was the dualwielding DD class. But I do think ffxi's thief is more similar to GW2's thief, than rogue - luckily.

Nope. As soon as I realized I couldn't micromanage an Elementalist (early tournament footage, pre BWE1) I went with Mesmer and found myself loving every little bit of it. So so much.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope my ranger and i are having an absolute blast

Deleted
    Warrior 4 lyfe! <3