Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Will there be a LFG system?

I read something awhile back that there would be some kind of LFG system in GW2.. Do you know if they still plan on adding one to the game? If not, they should at least give us a LFG channel that goes across all the maps.

Wow pretty much made this a game standard so im sure they will . Sadly yet another developer launching without the same core features as wow ..trying to keep it " old school " ....we see how that went with SWTOR

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Wow pretty much made this a game standard so im sure they will . Sadly yet another developer launching without the same core features as wow ..trying to keep it " old school " ....we see how that went with SWTOR
    Or because, you know, just because WoW did it doesn't mean everyone else has to. -_-

You don't have to use good ideas, you'd just be foolish not to. The question is whether GW2 needs it. If there's ever a time someone says, "I can't find a group for this dungeon", then you have your answer.

Believe it or not, there is LFG system in the game. It's the single worst LFG implementation I've ever seen to date, and I'm not exaggerating.

Open friend list and look a few tabs down. You'll find looking for group tab. There, you can type text in and specify yourself as looking for group.

What this will do is so hilariously pointless, it's not even funny. It will place a looking glass next to your name for those who can see you to see. It will also change the colour of the small square left of your name in guild tab to blue. It also seems to show the same to people on your friends list.

That's pretty much it. Enjoy GW2's "LFG". I actually got one query when I had it up for a few hours for AC story while running around 30-ish zones. A randomly encountered player asked me "why do you have a looking glass next to your name?".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    Or because, you know, just because WoW did it doesn't mean everyone else has to. -_-
    Don't think it will be necessary in this game, the events are in the actual zones, and the Dungeons are very easily acessed via Waypoints. That is provided you explored the zones where the dungeons are.

Personally I think an LFG tool shouldn't even be needed. GW2's design and layout is so totally away from endgame dungeon grinds that it's literally not as vital as in WoW (and SWTOR), where everything they feed you comes from dungeons. It simply doesn't apply to the game, the sooner people get that in their heads the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    Don't think it will be necessary in this game, the events are in the actual zones, and the Dungeons are very easily acessed via Waypoints. That is provided you explored the zones where the dungeons are.
    Also true, you don't stand around in cities the whole day in GW2, you are in the zones. There isn't even a need for certain roles, just pick up the next 4 players you find and go have fun. Easy as that.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2012-08-29 at 12:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    I read something awhile back that there would be some kind of LFG system in GW2.. Do you know if they still plan on adding one to the game? If not, they should at least give us a LFG channel that goes across all the maps.
    There already is an LFG system. Push Y, and noticed there's a Looking For Group tab. If you set your online status as LFG, you show up in that tab, across the whole server.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    There already is an LFG system. Push Y, and noticed there's a Looking For Group tab. If you set your online status as LFG, you show up in that tab, across the whole server.
    I didn't know that. I will try it later tomorrow.

Red face I make a find group.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    I didn't know that. I will try it later tomorrow.
    Here is the link of my tool.

findagroup.tk/

Give me some tips on how to improve this tool.

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
    You don't have to use good ideas, you'd just be foolish not to. The question is whether GW2 needs it. If there's ever a time someone says, "I can't find a group for this dungeon", then you have your answer.
    Thanks to fractals this is true for 95% of dungeons. You literally have to use a third party site to find a group for anything other than 4-5 dungeon paths.

I don't even want an automated dungeon finder like WoW, I just want a fucking LFG tool in game that is actually useful. Don't even get me started on the genius behind splitting the community with "levels" for FotM.

So many bad design decisions trying to bring this game down... Oh wait there's more:

Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    Also true, you don't stand around in cities the whole day in GW2, you are in the zones. There isn't even a need for certain roles, just pick up the next 4 players you find and go have fun. Easy as that.
    Aaaannd what's the way you find 4 players so you can go have fun? Stand around in LA and spam... oh wait you can't do that either because your messages get suppressed after you say the same thing 3 times in 10 minutes.

Lawl just saw this was a bit of a necro... ah well it actually just highlights how bad the system is, where the situation is now significantly worse 3+ months later.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-12-06 at 01:35 PM.

I really hope they implement a LFG system... A little bit more than 3 months after release and it's nearly impossible to find story mode groups on my high pop realm, while a few exp modes happen every now and then. Everyone seems to be busy doing Fractals.

LFG would be nice for "off-peak" hours group making. But for the most part if you ask in Lion's Arch there's people who will go, or there's usually people outside the instance you're planning to run who need a group.

I wouldn't want an automated system in GW2 (Though I like it in other games), but I'd love to have a UI based LFG system implemented. Think along the lines of the LFG system in classic WoW or Aion, where it just flags you/your group as looking for something and lets you put in notes. I think that would be spectacular though, access to the system from anywhere in the world, without needing to be in LA or the dungeon zone itself to see people LFM, would be a huge benefit to those of us who are out and about in random places all the time.

There is a GW2 LFG website now. It's really useful, and I've never had trouble finding groups. It's fast.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    There is a GW2 LFG website now. It's really useful, and I've never had trouble finding groups. It's fast.
    If your players have to resort to using a website to find groups regularly and in a timely fashion then you've fucking failed as a developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    If your players have to resort to using a website to find groups regularly and in a timely fashion then you've fucking failed as a developer.
    Erm, not really. It's creating additional tools to satisfy a desire. So any time a third party website/addon does anything that the dev's haven't built into the game, have the devs "failed" as developers?

This one of the few times I'll agree with Bovinity here. They really dropped the ball on this. A decent LFG tool should have been in at release. Hell they had the template already from GW1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I knew someone would do this.

If it's something like...WoWProgress...sure, that's something you don't really expect a developer to do on their own. It's fine for a third party to work out something like that. An in-game tool to do something as simple as find other people doing a dungon? C'mon.
    An in-game tool to do something as simple as track damage? Or allow customization of the UI? Or provide visual queues for certain class-based procs (which Blizz did a great job of implementing after years of mods doing it, kudo's to them)? C'mon.

What I'm trying to say, is that the argument is bunk.

redit: Don't get me wrong, I think they should have had something to help players find groups in at launch (see my post earlier in the thread for implementation), but you can't really say that they're "fail devs" because it's not in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    lol worst part is getting "chat suppressed" qhen using chat to find a group wether you spam it or not and what i found out yesterday is that the silence time is ingame time so logging off and waiting an hour doesnt remove the suppression

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 07:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    This one of the few times I'll agree with Bovinity here. They really dropped the ball on this. A decent LFG tool should have been in at release. Hell they had the template already from GW1.
    current gw2 lfg tool mustve been rushed as no way they actually took time for that
    last few games to not have one eventually got one im pretty sure swtor got one eventually