Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Employee forsed to take leave over trolling".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/aus...-1226459899947

Sorry, posted early! Still working on it.

Hi all,

Small issue has arisen at my University. A staff member made some comments on her personal twitter account, Pretty harsh if you are new to the internet. A celebrity stepped in and demanded comments from the University. The end result being the staff member taking leave with pay while they investigate.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts on this are.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/medi...-1226460632367
    Last edited by Feral Camel; 2012-08-29 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Posted early

Deleted
    Good. I fucking hate trolls. They're scum that use anonymity of the internet to say the most hateful, hurtful things. The troll should be sacked and jailed. Fuck 'em.

Her reaction kind of reminds me of the girl on a cam show website who freaked out.

Pretty entertaining thought though, trolling a troll in real life. ❤

10+ Year Old Account
    lol look at the comments of her chating with some people below
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

Meh, not really any of her employers business unless she did it from a work email account (she may have I didn't read the article in it's entirety).

If she did, it's a judgement call on the employers part, being on twitter it would most likely not bring any attention to them.

As for what she said, who gives a crap. She's allowed to say whatever she wants, to whoever she wants. People are too sensitive, one of the major problems in the world right now. Everyone is a special little flower. No. They're not.

I found the whole exchange rather funny, but I'm old and jaded by the world we live in. Everyone has lost someone, the fact that someone this person knows was so weak willed they took their own life doesn't make their story more sad than everyone elses. Too sensitive.
    If we cut out comments or jokes about any way a person has died that somebody knew, the world would be an intensely dull place.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    Meh, not really any of her employers business unless she did it from a work email account (she may have I didn't read the article in it's entirety).

If she did, it's a judgement call on the employers part, being on twitter it would most likely not bring any attention to them.

As for what she said, who gives a crap. She's allowed to say whatever she wants, to whoever she wants. People are too sensitive, one of the major problems in the world right now. Everyone is a special little flower. No. They're not.

I found the whole exchange rather funny, but I'm old and jaded by the world we live in. Everyone has lost someone, the fact that someone this person knows was so weak willed they took their own life doesn't make their story more sad than everyone elses. Too sensitive.
    If we cut out comments or jokes about any way a person has died that somebody knew, the world would be an intensely dull place.
    She had her work details attached to her twitter account.
    I'm personally a little annoyed that the university was involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turns out if you're famous, people exercising their right of speech around you doesn't apply. I enjoyed the "I would hang myself if I was your fiance too" part though.

Bernadette Casey @blcasey66
    "My fiance hanged himself HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT TO ANOTHER HUMAN BEING."

Tanya Heti @Karleeka
    "if I was your fiance I'd hang myself too #gohangyourself"
    come onnnnnn... that's funny.

Charlotte Dawson is old .. and its obvious old people cant handle the internet.

any young person would have just read that and would be like "stupid trolls" and move on .. this lady had to go crying to the university

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post

any young person would have just read that and would be like "stupid trolls" and move on .. this lady had to go crying to the university
    You know, it's that kind of attitude that makes me wish I could uncover the one thing that hurts you the most, then throw it in your face and see if you shrug it off because.. you know... It's the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    You know, it's that kind of attitude that makes me wish I could uncover the one thing that hurts you the most, then throw it in your face and see if you shrug it off because.. you know... It's the internet.
    I've been trolled, I've had my pics posted on wow forums of my gf and I... you can troll me about my family / my life / my dog / killing myself

at the end of the day I know its a troll and i'm not gonna waste my time on it.

It's sort of like the troll got trolled back. I never understood the whole "if you respond or react to the troll they've won because it's what the want" ...

You are free to troll if you are so pathetic that that is what you get your kicks out of but don't cry when there are consequences to your shitty conduct.

That's not trolling >.>

Deleted
    I've been trolled, I've had my pics posted on wow forums of my gf and I... you can troll me about my family / my life / my dog / killing myself

at the end of the day I know its a troll and i'm not gonna waste my time on it.
    Yeah fuck that, if someone's trolling the death of someone close to me, I'll react, I'm only human afterall. What you're saying is, that this kind of behaviour be accepted as part of the norm because of a device invented by people to do it anonymously. It's literally the 21st century equivalent of shitting through someone's letterbox. It's not right and the full weight of the law should come down on the heads of people that do it.

Why don't people have thicker skin? Why do people care what anonymous people think? I'd have brushed it off and continued with my business. I don't see why this is a big deal.

And I mean, as long as the person isn't representing that university, how is it that someone is suspended for telling someone to hang themselves? Seems quite unrelated

---------- Post added 2012-08-29 at 05:00 AM ----------

Yeah fuck that, if someone's trolling the death of someone close to me, I'll react, I'm only human afterall. What you're saying is, that this kind of behaviour be accepted as part of the norm because of a device invented by people to do it anonymously. It's literally the 21st century equivalent of shitting through someone's letterbox. It's not right and the full weight of the law should come down on the heads of people that do it.
    No, it's like telling a person to hang themselves... I would react by saying fuck off and I would continue my normal life. These people really need to stop being offended by every fart.

---------- Post added 2012-08-29 at 05:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Why don't people have thicker skin? Why do people care what anonymous people think? I'd have brushed it off and continued with my business. I don't see why this is a big deal.
    This x1000

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by staart View Post
    No, it's like telling a person to hang themselves... I would react by saying fuck off and I would continue my normal life. These people really need to stop being offended by every fart.
    No, it's saying what you want, when you want, how you want without sparing a thought for the person you're saying it to. Here's the thing. I guarantee, if you wanted to troll me you'd never do it to my face.

Good. I fucking hate trolls. They're scum that use anonymity of the internet to say the most hateful, hurtful things. The troll should be sacked and jailed. Fuck 'em.
    You're either a troll or don't know what a troll is.

No, it's saying what you want, when you want, how you want without sparing a thought for the person you're saying it to. Here's the thing. I guarantee, if you wanted to troll me you'd never do it to my face.
    If I wanted to troll you, you wouldn't know I was doing it. You would just think I was crazy or weird.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-08-29 at 03:05 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    You're either a troll or don't know what a troll is.
    aha. Brilliant!

Congrats, you know how swearing works. And if I could say something to your face I would, way to be pretentious.

P.S. telling someone to hang themselves isn't trolling

---------- Post added 2012-08-29 at 05:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    If I wanted to troll you, you wouldn't know I was doing it. You would just think I was crazy or weird.
    Only this guy seems to know what trolling is..