Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by staart View Post
    Congrats, you know how swearing works. And if I could say something to your face I would, way to be pretentious.

P.S. telling someone to hang themselves isn't trolling

---------- Post added 2012-08-29 at 05:07 AM ----------

Only this guy seems to know what trolling is..
    Ofcourse you would, because rational people walk around telling other people to go hang themselves face-to-face.

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    No, it's saying what you want, when you want, how you want without sparing a thought for the person you're saying it to. Here's the thing. I guarantee, if you wanted to troll me you'd never do it to my face.
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Getting pretty darn tired of people saying that ANYTHING they do not like is trolling.

Maybe there should be a service announcement whenever you try to reply to something on the net that people THINK is trolling that tells them it is really not..

---------- Post added 2012-08-29 at 01:11 PM ----------

Ofcourse you would, because rational people walk around telling other people to go hang themselves face-to-face.
    I'm rational, and I tell people to go fuck themselves on a daily basis.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Yes they would, have you been in the outside world lately?

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    QFT
    Last edited by staart; 2012-08-29 at 03:12 AM.

Getting pretty darn tired of people saying that ANYTHING they do not like is trolling.

Maybe there should be a service announcement whenever you try to reply to something on the net that people THINK is trolling that tells them it is really not..

---------- Post added 2012-08-29 at 01:11 PM ----------

Sometimes I pretend to be angry at people being dickheads on the internet and call them trolls just to troll other people who know what trolling actually is.

For example:
    They haven't, and they wouldn't.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-08-29 at 03:12 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by staart View Post
    Yes they would, have you been in the outside world lately?
    They haven't, and they wouldn't. Fantastic to see you lot defending the rights of people to be fucking arseholes via the internet. Thankfully we have laws against it. What happens to insignificant people when you give them the power of anonymity I suppose...
    Last edited by mmoc36f8af66e9; 2012-08-29 at 03:13 AM.

They haven't, and they wouldn't. Fantastic to see you lot defending the rights of people to be fucking arseholes via the internet. Thankfully we have laws against it. What happens to insignificant people when you give them the power of anonymity I suppose...
    I defend the right of people being able to be Arseholes anywhere. If someone wants to be a dick that is their prerogative. I'm one of the few people I know that will say the same things in real life as I would on the internet.

Anonymity is hardly the only reason people are dicks, it is just an added perk.

Deleted
    I'm one of the few people I know that will say the same things in real life as I would on the internet.
    Again, see my comment about people saying what they want behind the anonymity of the internet.

I defend the right of people being able to be Arseholes anywhere. If someone wants to be a dick that is their prerogative. I'm one of the few people I know that will say the same things in real life as I would on the internet.

Anonymity is hardly the only reason people are dicks, it is just an added perk.
    Unless you're promoting physical violence or threatening with physical violence I see no reason to prosecute anyone anywhere for whatever they say.

People need to stop being such crybabies who call for their mummy because someone said a bad word to them

No, it's saying what you want, when you want, how you want without sparing a thought for the person you're saying it to. Here's the thing. I guarantee, if you wanted to troll me you'd never do it to my face.
    I would; what you going do about it tough guy? You want to go to jail that bad? It's called be a grown up and don't stoop to their level.

Again, see my comment about people saying what they want behind the anonymity of the internet.
    How is someone who is "trolling" (by your definition) any worse than the groups of crusaders that march into forums telling trolls to go die, or calling them insignificant, or calling them fuckheads/arseholes etc etc.

At least the "troll" generally does it out of Jest, though the crusader generally does it out of anger and spite.

Who is really the bad person, it is all semantics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    I would; what you going do about it tough guy? You want to go to jail that bad? It's called be a grown up and don't stoop to their level.
    Oh you!! Again, see comment about anonymity.

---------- Post added 2012-08-29 at 04:23 AM ----------

How is someone who is "trolling" (by your definition) any worse than the groups of crusaders that march into forums telling trolls to go die, or calling them insignificant, or calling them fuckheads/arseholes etc etc.

At least the "troll" generally does it out of Jest, though the crusader generally does it out of anger and spite.

Who is really the bad person, it is all semantics.
    At what point does it cross a line?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    Meh, not really any of her employers business unless she did it from a work email account (she may have I didn't read the article in it's entirety).

If she did, it's a judgement call on the employers part, being on twitter it would most likely not bring any attention to them.

As for what she said, who gives a crap. She's allowed to say whatever she wants, to whoever she wants. People are too sensitive, one of the major problems in the world right now. Everyone is a special little flower. No. They're not.

I found the whole exchange rather funny, but I'm old and jaded by the world we live in. Everyone has lost someone, the fact that someone this person knows was so weak willed they took their own life doesn't make their story more sad than everyone elses. Too sensitive.
    If we cut out comments or jokes about any way a person has died that somebody knew, the world would be an intensely dull place.
    I agree with this wholly. If you can't learn to laugh and move on then you are in for a long miserable ride and she just wants to make it miserable for others. It's really rather pathetic. It's not the universitys problem since its outside of their environment and is not detrimental for their public appeal.

10+ Year Old Account
    word

just because it's mean, doesn't mean it's trolling. You want a good example of trolling? Go say there's something wrong with Guild Wars 2 and specifically describe one of those things as "bollocks" or "dog shit", read the replies you get. Or watch that one video on youtube where some dickhead is like "lol this is how you xray w/ photoshop" and he just cuts out the fucking clothes with the selection tool like a little bastard. Fuck that kid.

Telling someone to go hang themselves is not trolling. Its being an asshole.

Blowing up your teammates Jet in BF3 with C-4 on the other hand, is trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah if its not really clear to anyone, trolling is either A) aggressive kneejerking or B) aggressive pisstaking or really incessant whining and bitching towards other people for not agreeing with you.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2012-08-29 at 03:31 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    word

just because it's mean, doesn't mean it's trolling. You want a good example of trolling? Go say there's something wrong with Guild Wars 2 and specifically describe one of those things as "bollocks" or "dog shit", read the replies you get. Or watch that one video on youtube where some dickhead is like "lol this is how you xray w/ photoshop" and he just cuts out the fucking clothes with the selection tool like a little bastard. Fuck that kid.
    I think our laws cover it pretty well, in relation to the initial article:

(1)Any person who sends to another person—
    (a)a letter or other article which conveys—
    (i)a message which is indecent or grossly offensive;
    (ii)a threat; or
    (iii)information which is false and known or believed to be false by the sender; or
    (b)any other article which is, in whole or part, of an indecent or grossly offensive nature,

Fuck em. Anyone that does this deserves what they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    Telling someone to go hang themselves is not trolling. Its being an asshole.

Blowing up your teammates Jet in BF3 with C-4 on the other hand, is trolling.
    Still technically not "trolling", unless afterwards you said something like "Oh I thought that C4 were miniature repair-kits that fix vehicles when I pressed the button."

Wow. This thread's making my faith in humanity drop faster than any war could make it.
    I know there are arseholes out in the world. I know everyone can be one given the right circumstances. I also realise being an arsehole isn't illegal usually.

But defending the absolute right to be one so passionately is just sad to see.

I'm iffy if they should actually fire the guy, at the end of the day it was internet trolling, hardly a serious crime.

The comment to go hang herself was uncalled for though, that might qualify as E-bullying or whatever. Did this happen more than once?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'm iffy if they should actually fire the guy, at the end of the day it was internet trolling, hardly a serious crime.

The comment to go hang herself was uncalled for though, that might qualify as E-bullying or whatever. Did this happen more than once?
    It does not say and I'm not able to find the context for why she said "go hang yourself".