Swapping from HDD to SSD + HDD

Hi guys,

As some who check this forum regulary may know, I'm about to install a new motherboard/memory/cpu and a brand new SSD in my PC.

As the PC parts arrive within a few hours, I wanted to prepare by formatting my current HDD. I'm planning to:

-Put Windows 7 and games I play often on the SSD to improve loading times and such.
    -Put software like my virusscanner/steam/origin and games not demanding much of my PC on my HDD.

(Please, correct me if I'm doing this wrong. I'm not an expert).

I just don't know how to format my C without using the Windows disk to reinstall windows on it. I've also tried to go to the DOS thingy and typing format c: , but that doesn't work because it says a program is active or something like that.

Thanks in advance!
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless your using another boot disk with Linux or PartitionMagic or something similar on it, you can't until you have Windows installed on another disk.

Personally I would recommend just plugging in your new SSD when it comes installing windows onto it (boot off the Win Install disk and install as normal) then copy any files you may need, and then format the now secondary HDD from your new Windows installation on your SSD :-)

Deleted
    yeh, I just plugged the SSD into my computer and installed windows on it via the ISO while logged onto my regular HDD's version of windows. after it's installed you can just change the boot order so it runs off the SSD, log into windows and then take all the files you want off your old hard drive. once you've done that you can easily delete or format the old HDD.

Right. Once I've gotten the windows on the SSD working I just plug the HDD in.. Then I go to my computer, right click on the HDD and select "format" ?

How should I order my files? Is the windows + games on SSD and rest like virusscanner on the HDD a proper way of doing it?
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    How should I order my files? Is the windows + games on SSD and rest like virusscanner on the HDD a proper way of doing it?
    Windows + small programs on the SSD. If you have something that is 20GB big, you obviously don't want it on the SSD unless you use it very regularly and the SSD gives you a huge boost in it.

Yeah I'd like to have GW2 on my SSD. Only game I play right now and wouldn't mind a improvement on loading and stuff.