Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Store Named Hitler - Owner Obviously Lying

Here is the "story" (a term I use loosely): http://news.yahoo.com/hitler-clothin...133743884.html

First to post why the owner is obviously lying about his knowledge wins.

10+ Year Old Account
    the Schwastika dotting the i did for me

10+ Year Old Account
    The swastika is used in the Nazi way instead of the Indian way. What do I win?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruMorgor View Post
    the Schwastika dotting the i did for me
    Bingo.

(short contest though)

---------- Post added 2012-08-29 at 08:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    The swastika is used in the Nazi way instead of the Indian way. What do I win?
    How is it used in the Indian way?

Lawl he even has a swastika in the i of hitler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Bingo.

(short contest though)

---------- Post added 2012-08-29 at 08:22 PM ----------

Swastikas are a common symbol in Hinduism. The word itself comes from the Sanskrit word svastika. Ironically, this word translates roughly as "to be good." However, in Asia, the swastika is rarely rotated in the manner the Nazis used it.
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-08-29 at 08:27 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Swastikas are a common symbol in Hinduism. The word itself comes from the Sanskrit word svastika. Ironically, this word translates roughly as "to be good."
    I did not know that.

I wonder if he sells cans of "Hitler did nothing wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

Different rotation of the symbol itself. Too bad the Nazis ruined the svastika, since its actually a symbol of goodwill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Using the Swastika doesn't mean he's lying. He may have heard the Swastika was associated with Hitler without knowing anything about him.

The crescent is associated with Mohammed, other than being the founder of Islam, most people in the Westerrn world know squat about him.

The swastika doesn't prove he knew. What you may fail to consider is that he didn't design that card or logo. I'm sure you all noticed (those who read the thread anyways) that he said he'd change the name and logo if he got compensation for it. That's because he had to pay someone to do that work and now he'll have to pay someone, possibly the same person, to do something else instead. Keep in mind, then, that it was likely the artist who designed the logo who chose how and where to use the swastika, and he's possibly the same person to come up with the idea to use the swastika in the first place.

Swastikas are a common symbol in Hinduism. The word itself comes from the Sanskrit word svastika. Ironically, this word translates roughly as "to be good." However, in Asia, the swastika is rarely rotated in the manner the Nazis used it.
    swastikas also showed up in various native american art forms. i cant remember which direction they rotated, might have been both ways. of course this was long before hitler, even before white people even showed up here

edit: OT: i think the guy is full of shit and that he knew, but there is nothing in the article i would consider concrete evidence
    Last edited by smelltheglove; 2012-08-29 at 08:52 PM.

Deleted
    Big deal out of nothing, even if he knew who he was.

WW2 was over 70 years ago. Many people who fought in the war is over 90 at least and probably dead. I would imagine most schools still require schools to teach about it but as time goes on that is going to be phased out to make way for newer events. My general reaction to the story was unlikely but plausible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Folks, the swastika is a Hindu symbol of good luck. The orientation isn't relevant in Hinduism. In the last 60 years, Hindus have tended to avoid the classically Nazi orientation out of respect for their victims, but there is no "good" swastika or "evil" swastika.

Hitler used it because it was a mystical symbol of good luck that was kind of Christian-looking but not really (hence the other German name for it; hakenkreuz, or "crooked/bent cross"; "swastika" is a Hindu word). There was no negative symbolism to the image before this.

I'm not saying what this guy did was okay, but there is no "Indian" swastika vs. the "Nazi" swastika; the Nazi swastika IS a Hindu swastika. That's where they took it from. There's plenty of them in Hindu symbology of both orientations, prior to the Nazi regime's rise to power.
    Last edited by Endus; 2012-08-29 at 08:47 PM.

Chuckle... It's like those extremist antisemitic Muslims demonstrating with "Heil Hitler" signs. If they only knew what Adolf would have done to them if they had lived in Germany at the time...
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I wonder if he sells cans of "Hitler did nothing wrong"
    I don't know but I bet Gushing Grannies would love that.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Folks, the swastika is a Hindu symbol of good luck. The orientation isn't relevant in Hinduism. In the last 60 years, Hindus have tended to avoid the classically Nazi orientation out of respect for their victims, but there is no "good" swastika or "evil" swastika.

Hitler used it because it was a mystical symbol of good luck that was kind of Christian-looking but not really (hence the other German name for it; hakenkreuz, or "crooked/bent cross"; "swastika" is a Hindu word). There was no negative symbolism to the image before this.

I'm not saying what this guy did was okay, but there is no "Indian" swastika vs. the "Nazi" swastika; the Nazi swastika IS a Hindu swastika. That's where they took it from. There's plenty of them in Hindu symbology of both orientations, prior to the Nazi regime's rise to power.
    I hope its okay to post it, if not, pls just edit it into a link

The Hindu and the Nazi swastika are NOT the same. The angle is different and thats very important.

That being said, the Indian guy used the Nazi version; therefore, hes lying about not knowing shit about Hitler and what he did.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-08-29 at 08:54 PM.

Doesn't the Hindu version have the arms going counter-clockwise instead of clockwise?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

15+ Year Old Account
    The symbol in the form of the one the nazis used are ancient in western culture as well, greek, celtic and many others.

So beside thinking it is not the hindu version (which is correct), it is also wrong to think that there is a nazi version, it was just a rip-off as most of the nazi, specifically SS culture.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2012-08-29 at 09:44 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.