Thread: 5.0.4 Resto

5.0.4 Resto

As with other healers, we've seen a big boost in our healing at 85. The Mastery buff is nice. Having mana locked to 100k is wierd. Regen could be better. Major Glyphs are lacklustre. I'm not sold on glyphed riptide yet. But it does make me feel like a druid dishing out rejuv. Any opinions?

Deleted
    I really like what they did with resto shamans, for DS I had to reforge into a lot of spirit this week, from the 2k(+1k from trinket) I had, since they nerfed TC I reforged and went for 3k(+1k from trinket) spirit and it still feels like I'm going OOM really fast, I might have to reforge into some more spirit for HC Spine.
    The healing stream totem is healing for a lot currently which I really like too

Im not sold on the glyphed riptide either, doesn't feel like it would be much help at this stage in DS, since people are topped off really quickly leaving not much room for the riptide hot to tick, I think I'll probably end up using it for t14.
    I dont think having 100k mana is weird, it makes it a lot easier to balance and handle in my opinion, having every healing spec with different amount of mana isn't something I liked.

Overall I'm really happy with resto shamans, we were given more cds which is incredibly awesome
    Last edited by mmocd4569adb10; 2012-08-30 at 06:56 AM.

We cleared DS HC 8/8 yesterday on 25 man, everything was a bit chaotic from my POV as resto. I had to heal for the first time using macro mouse-over + standard framews (been a user of healbot/Clique for 3 years) and was struggeling to watch the new cooldowns. I did try out the riptide glyph, and I am 100% sure I will not do that for the next runs.

I am a big fan of HTT + HST, and chain healing off riptide targets. Still need to get used to using Unleash Elements and Healing Rain; but will get there. Nice with the 1 Min CD on Ancestral Swiftness. Overall its a step forward as I see it. Will be interesting to see how it works out in MOP/T14.

I'm not sold on it yet, I feel we've went from one extreme to another, from no cooldowns to loads and some insignificant. I also feel 2 tiers of our talent tree are not great and it doesn't really matter what we pick it will make little difference level 30 and level 45?

We no longer have totems out all the time and the ones we do have out all the time have no cd, so why would we need to refresh the cooldown on them, for a resto this only affects capacitor, the fire totem and healing stream, we can't use it on spirit link, mana tide of healing tide. I can't ever see us having to move them as we ensure we will get the full benefit when we drop them and reducing the cooldown by the same % as the time left on the totem is an average ability.

As for Asteral Shift you will need to be spot on when you use this, the 6 seconds for 40% reduction is not great compared to a shadow priest’s dispersion.

Also our Glyphs are not great, for example, riptide removing 90% of the initial heal for no CD or chain heal, increase the distance by 100% but at a cost of 4 second cooldown, those seem to be massive trade-offs. Even the water shield glyph reducing normal mana return by 15% for 50% more when taking damage, I’ve seen what other classes have been provided by members of my guild and they do not seem to have the same reductions in their glyph choices.

I’m trying to stay positive though and won’t make any proper judgements until we get to level 90.

Deleted
    I play Resto Shaman in PVP mostly, but i have to say the healing is nice, the new totems are very usefull in PVP.

but for others also playing PVP resto, did you notice the change in damage?
    as my damage went up drastically, i can take down an elemental shaman with no problem and be on the same lvl of damage with the elemental shaman as a resto, i like it but this seems to be wrong and very OP.
    havent tried it on much other classes yet, but also had no issues with rogue's and just take them down.

apart from that the fire elemental's damage got down massively.

anyone else noticed that?
    Last edited by mmoc793ee47b37; 2012-08-30 at 08:00 AM.

I have healed exactly the same as I used to, healing rain on cdown, riptide on cdown although now its riptide when sum1 has taken damage and then spam Lightning bolt with TC with the exact same reforges, just going pure haste and mastery on every piece of gear and next to no spirit and I can heal competitvely, even on spine hc I could have enough mana to last the fight. It just requires a bit slower on heals and not rushing for everything.
    I quite like the new talents, now we have tools to keep people alive, healing stream totem actually does something now, healing tide is better than tranq any day since we dont need to channel it. Im overal pleased with the shaman changes and I really dont think it changes the way we heal much

I think Resto Shaman might be the least changed after the patch.

New RT glyph is nice, mana is a little tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Magjee View Post

Don't forget about that HTT thing that is the strongest raid healing cooldown in the game by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Magjee View Post
    Having played all the heal specs since 5.04, I think Resto Druid playstyle has been the least changed so far.
    Resto Sham felt a lot more changed with not using TC, using HST, having HTT, - to say nothing if you used the riptide or chaining glyphs (I did not)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    Having played all the heal specs since 5.04, I think Resto Druid playstyle has been the least changed so far.
    Resto Sham felt a lot more changed with not using TC, using HST, having HTT, - to say nothing if you used the riptide or chaining glyphs (I did not)
    Agreed. On my shaman I had to bind 5-6 new spells/totems and dumping some, also getting use to NOT putting down all 4 totems and spamming water shield + cure is something I need to do.

Resto druids only got 2 new things, a tank cd and mushroom healing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yopax View Post
    Still need to get used to using Unleash Elements and Healing Rain; but will get there.
    Yeah this hurt my head a bit as well, I am hoping they come up with a more graceful solution.

I really liked having more Raid CDs and more buttons to push though!

i am just angry about TC loss but what you will do ? - need to adjust it was so strange going oom and hearing our resto druid yelling HEAL I am OOM while i was almost oom 2

and is it just me or tanks taking insane dmg now or its bugs on paladins and warrs takes way too much

It took me a bit to get used to the lower mana pool (Losing 50k mana was a HUGE shock to the senses). I had to play smarter with mana usage, yes the spells cost less, but my mana regen was just about the same as it was pre-patch. TC dropping from 6k mana non-crit to 2k mana also hurt very badly. After a little bit though I got used to not casting as much and letting my other healers get some casts in too.

As for HTT, that thing is going to be nerfed hard I bet. One single HTT did more total healing than a tranquility and divine hymn (or whatever that priest CD is) combined. Not used at the same time of course. HTT healed for 1.2 mil in one use. The other two abilities were only around 500-600k. So... get ready for it to be cut in half! 1.2 million healing in 10 seconds is ridiculous for a drop and forget ability.

Quote Originally Posted by discopolice View Post
    Agreed. On my shaman I had to bind 5-6 new spells/totems and dumping some, also getting use to NOT putting down all 4 totems and spamming water shield + cure is something I need to do.

Resto druids only got 2 new things, a tank cd and mushroom healing
    Besides all of the mana changes, the shaman toolkit is incredibly fun + powerful now, along with the extra CD. Rdruid in itself got 2 spells, but shroom: bloom is fairly useless right now.

Druids also got some QOL adjustments through harmony/lifebloom duration

Deleted
    I'm really enjoying the changes so far.

Healing Tide Totem is just awesome and if people are healed up before it's finished, can just pick it up, reset part of the CD through talents and get full mana back for it via glyph :-)

We got our first Heroic Madness kill tonight, so I'm not going to complain about the changes!

True, most of the basic healbar is the same for druids, but I feel like it changed quite a bit. There were some quality of life adjustments, as mentioned, however greater complexity was added in other areas (so far I like these changes). Druids have to be a lot more creative in terms of healing now - no more rejuv spam. Don't get me wrong, I was able to keep a rejuvs up on every target with the debuff on Spine still, but I had to be careful. Instead, now I get to xfer my 3 stack of lifebloom to different targets with just 1 GCD (this is great). Thus, I was switching my lifebloom target constantly. We now get to cast Ironbark. And last but not least, mushrooms. Many people complain about their low output; however, their mana efficiency is unbelievable. They accounted for 10-12% of my healing in Madness and were used mostly off CD during stack phases - people's health rarely dropped below 90%, so this really is our best option after wild growth and efflorescence.

I'll say this much, I usually enjoy dominating the healbars in heroic runs. I could not TOUCH our shamans in Madness - they LOL'd their way to 45k HPS each while I was sitting at 32k HPS (and craploads of overhealing). That's a 10-15k HPS improvement from their previous bests. The throughput of healing rain and the synergy of other talents with healing rain really make shamans a force to be reckoned with on stacked encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by nectarine View Post
    Besides all of the mana changes, the shaman toolkit is incredibly fun + powerful now
    Yup. Resto is amazing now. When you look at the full tookit, including the new, as well as changes to the old, rshammy has never felt so complete. We don't even have ascendance yet, and our level 90 talents, which only further improve or add to the arsenal.

Just for giggles I plopped down HTT on the red/green/yellow yor'sahj trash pack and cast nothing else. I know it's not exactly a dangerous situation, but there's a nice chunk of damage that goes out at the start and I wanted to see what HTT would do all on its own. I cast nothing else and the totem hit 51k hps for that small pull. This was on 25m with most of the raid in HC gear.

I'm really looking forward to playing resto in a 25m environment in mists. The encounters look like a blast, and there are so many CDs available - utility and throughput - available to resto shaman. In all likelihood Resto Shaman will not be the most powerful healers in t14 or initial MoP PVP (Resto Druids?!?!), but I'm willing to bet that they will be the most engaging and rewarding to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogie423 View Post

As for HTT, that thing is going to be nerfed hard I bet. One single HTT did more total healing than a tranquility and divine hymn (or whatever that priest CD is) combined. Not used at the same time of course. HTT healed for 1.2 mil in one use. The other two abilities were only around 500-600k. So... get ready for it to be cut in half! 1.2 million healing in 10 seconds is ridiculous for a drop and forget ability.
    At level 90 in heroic raid testing gear levels, it evens back out, with Healing Tide being about 20% weaker than Tranq or Divine Hymn. The spell balance is probably just all messed up at level 85. The other thing with Healing Tide is, because it scales with mastery, the amount that it heals for will have a much wider variance than Divine Hymn/Tranq. I have 75% mastery currently, which means the output of HTT can swing by as much as 75%.