Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    mesmer is pretty good if you got a nice 2nd wep you can stun and disrupt alot while using distortion and dodging not to mention you cant tell which illusion is real until u took alot of dmg mesmers are hard to beat 1v1

Race = looks and PvE, I personally would go for Norn or Charr, as they are the most appealing to me, visually and lorewise. They racial skills are pretty awsome too.

Profession = no clear winner, what is most suited to your playstyle and preferences, there are some points to mention though...

- WvW, is about AoE and range, so melee classes are not much favored here. Sitting in a tower and defending is all about shooting, so if you are a warrior, go rifles or bow, which is pretty awesome (Rifle warrior can deal a nice chunk of burst for example). Personally I feel that classes as ele, necro or range are better here.

- BGs, is more personal, so each class can make a difference here. As conditions are the real player killer I would go for builds with most of them (or a Hammer warrior for "stunlock" ) All in all I have met great players from each class where I stood no chance against and it were fun and awesome fights, were I got outplayed. Important think is to stay in group and bring 1-2 group support skills.

I personally play as main Hammer/Rifle warrior, as I mainly do PvP and exploration.
    My next character will be an Engineer which will be Rifle/Pistol+Pistol with aim on Grenades and Flamethrower.

The best advice I can give you is to roll each profession, get out of the tutorial area, go to the Mists and join random BGs. You get scaled to lvl. 80, you get armor, skills and traits and you can see what it is like and how it is feel. It is not a good showcase of the final classes.

If you go to the WvW as low level your health and level will be scaled, but you have your gear and skills, which means a lvl. 80 running around with 5-6 skills, no traits and starting gear getting you killed very, very, very fast

Good luck!
    My wife came to me and asked: "What have you done to the poor cat? She is half dead..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    no no no no no..... you've chosen the wrong game if you think there is 1 OP class.... everything has their pros and cons
    I've noticed this as well and I love it.

Your weapon choices and trait choices will vary enough to make many classes excellent spell casters or melee DPS or ranged DPS but they all do it slightly differently mechanically speaking. I think Anet have done an amazing job on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I was joking. =P
    lol'd

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I feel like a pretty tanky Thief tbh. I get 4 dodges every 30s with my sigil and with all my stealths I don't go down easy. Thief is pretty much the whole reason I love GW2 right now.
    i've yet to really go into pvp, but i'm definitely going with a dodge&stealth build. good to know it seems to work

Arenanet seems pretty hasty to nerf buff things so the fotm is more like flavor of the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    lol'd

i've yet to really go into pvp, but i'm definitely going with a dodge&stealth build. good to know it seems to work
    I think you'll like it! My elite skill is a poison that turns them to stone lol. Vanish, stabby stabby stab, stone, vanish, stab. Sometimes I stab again for good measure~

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, someone said engineer.
    I mean we're okay, as long as all our turret cd's are up, I wouldnt' say op tho.

In normal leveling pve, i think the plate classes have an advantage.
    Last edited by Riavan; 2012-08-30 at 07:35 AM.

Mesmer or Engineer are both equally OP to me.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pick what interests you the most, and what you have the most fun with, because they all have good and bad about them. Also, a single prof can play differently and have a different skill cap depending on what weapons you decide to roll with.

If you want easy mode PvE then you might try a Guardian. I go with greatsword/hammer and its practically faceroll and has only gotten easier with more levels under my belt because of trait points. They're kind of retarded in WvW tho as they have very little ranged damage (although they can provide good front-line support).

If you want something that has a little challenge to it but can still do really well in PvE and WvW then Mesmer is fairly awesome in that regard. They take a little getting used to but once you do they can be very potent in both realms of the game. I also think they take a little while to 'come into their own' because their damage is kind of sub-par in levels 1-10 compared to other classes but really pick up after that. In PvE, 90% of the fights in end with me taking zero damage even being melee heavy in combat. In WvW I have an absolute blast with mine. People do get confused by the clones all the time (they will blow CD's on one thinking its me all the while taking damage from phantasms) and they have decent ranged and a punishing ranged AoE (if using staff).

Currently trying out a thief and getting him to 20 before heading to the Mists. Another awesome class so far tho.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-08-30 at 08:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just roll with what you like. If rangers were op and you were playing it just because it was op, you might not like it later and just switch to class that sucks but you play because you like anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I think you'll like it! My elite skill is a poison that turns them to stone lol. Vanish, stabby stabby stab, stone, vanish, stab. Sometimes I stab again for good measure~
    sounds balanced!
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2012-08-30 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riavan View Post
    Lol, someone said engineer.
    I mean we're okay, as long as all our turret cd's are up, I wouldnt' say op tho.

In normal leveling pve, i think the plate classes have an advantage.
    I don't even use turrets. I mean I have the rocket turret on my bar for laughs but it's not something I would consider a key skill.

If new to Guild Wars I would suggest you take a look at our sticky index: linky. Class discussion threads and the mass information threads in particular.

Additionally, please observe the MMO Champion posting guidelines.

• "Do not create pointless threads such as "Which class/race/gender/faction/server should I roll?"

Thread closed.

-- Fencers
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-30 at 07:15 PM.