MOP Disc priest talent build

HUGE question... whats the best talent build for Disc priests in MOP? i'll be honest the new talent trees i just find confusing...

Short answer: there is none.
    Long answer: In which context? Pvp or pve? For pvp, it depends whether it's arenas or battlegrounds, and on the composition. For pve it all depends on the encounter design, although some of them are nobrainers, more or less.

Deleted
    There's no "best" build anymore. Maybe there will be a best build for a specific encounter, but no general "best" one. I'd choose talents according to your playstyle at the moment. E.g. if you use atonement a lot, I would avoid PW:Solace.

I have a rather large feeling im gonna have no idea what im doing when MoP comes out. i've played since vanilla but this... this is getting out of hand... i've been on hiatus for a while plan on coming back but this is all getting confusing to me

Quote Originally Posted by ithrowgliter View Post
    I have a rather large feeling im gonna have no idea what im doing when MoP comes out. i've played since vanilla but this... this is getting out of hand... i've been on hiatus for a while plan on coming back but this is all getting confusing to me
    The new talent design is more or less 'pick whatever you feel like using'. Choices are close within the range of each other (in terms of benefit, that is), and normally serve the same purpose, but in a different manner.

I'd say it's more along the lines of: There's no best talent specc for the whole expansion, but there will certainly be the best talent specc for a particular fight. For example, if you know a fight will have a burst healing phase (think Zon'ozz), you might want to pick up Power Infusion. If you know many people will be on low health (think Chimaeron), then Twist of Fate will be awesome. Finally, if there's a fight without a certain burst healing phase or people going constantly low on health, Divine Insight might be the best choice.

You can switch talents between fights to min/max for each and every encounter. If you're not into min-maxing, then it doesn't matter what you choose anyway. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Furlong View Post
    There's no "best" build anymore. Maybe there will be a best build for a specific encounter, but no general "best" one.
    I agree, and disagree. Solace/Insanity is a genuinely all around useless talent. Halo is apparently terrible for Healing Priests. Divine Insight is pretty much useless as Disc, whereas it's awesome as Holy.

The new talent trees are a giant leap forward, but there is still a general "Take this, but don't take that." depending on your spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Venaliter View Post
    I agree, and disagree. Solace/Insanity is a genuinely all around useless talent. Halo is apparently terrible for Healing Priests. Divine Insight is pretty much useless as Disc, whereas it's awesome as Holy.

The new talent trees are a giant leap forward, but there is still a general "Take this, but don't take that." depending on your spec.
    Most of those terrible things can be situationally good for a specific encounter or purpose. I agree that there are general guidelines like 'take this, don't take that', but those are more or less the design flaw.

There are only two talents which I think really need work. Everything else is ok and usefull sometimes.
    We can change talents to fit each encounter, so we should do that. (At least if Blizzard gets rid of that taint problem they always manage to get most addons to have with that frame, because I can understand that Addons involving clicking could be a problem, but damage meters, and addon that shows the time? Really?)

Mind Control, ist most usefull when used in a way Blizzard has tried to prevent time and time again (jumping players of cliffs) and somewhat usefull in a way that is counterintuitive (getting the mob you control killed by others).
    Also there are many things that just don't work for apparently no reason - some/most (damaging) spells you get in the spellbar can't be used on "non-player" targets, meaning you can't use them at all and it jsut don't work on may mobs with no explanation as to why anywhere ingame.
    It is a (very) nice gimmic sometimes in some encounters and has great potential and sentimental value to me, so I don't want to loose it entirely, but
    At this point in time I would prefer to just get the mob I control as weak pet (maybe coupled with a reduction of my own damage so it is not too strong a damage increase and more of a interesting CC) and please a CD that is at least a little bit shorter than the duration.

Divine Insight the way it is now for Disc is just asking for trouble. It is usefull if you have a shield happy priests who prevents you from casting cheap shields on the only target taking enough damage to proc rapture. That problem should be solved by communication, and if there really isn't enough damage going around then it wouldn't be a problem anyway.
    The other use would be tank healing, but even more and frequent shields on a single target? In a situation where that would be usefull we would reduce the debuff with Greater Healing already. More shield will most likely get us PW:S nerfed and would push us into a tank healing niche. There is already a boss in MoP who will ignore Absorbtions with some of his attacks, we won't want to get more of those because of too much and frequent absorbtion potential on tanks, because it will affect DA as well.
    And "tanking niche"? Looking back in the history of WoW shows that "niches" were always trouble for everyone involved. I'd rather have the holy version of that talent. It seems less problematic and more fun and use for to me.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2012-09-05 at 10:12 AM.