View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with Anet(GW2) account security?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    67 47.52%
  • No

    74 52.48%
Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Lack of Guild Wars 2 Authenticators

    Really, I am sick of panicking that my account got hacked every time I dc. Praise wherre praise is due, SWToR launched with iphone and android auhtenticators. Can't see why Anet can't do the same.
    I just got kicked out with a message "the password is incorrect" WTF..now I am scared if my account is gone....not happy.

    Account security does not even seem to be on Anet's radar....WTF...at least blizz made sure i never lost my account even if I do not care fer it any more.

  2. #2
    Don't Panic!!

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/t...ccount-secure/


    It's dated yesterday, hope it'll help.
    I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar.

    Also:
    Raegwine - Sylvari Elementalist; Caplock - Charr Engineer; Noah Quickfingers - Asura Thief; Amund Stormchaser - Norn Ranger

  3. #3
    I haven't had any problems yet, but an authenticator (whether physical or an app) would make me feel safer. I thought they were sorting those out ages ago, so a bit confused why we haven't heard anything further on it.
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2012-08-30 at 10:51 AM.

  4. #4
    Pandaren Monk Kuthe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,987
    They posted on facebook today that they are starting the email authenticator rollouts today.
    Only a small amount at the start, not sure how they plan to do it, but so it will be like Steam Shield.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

    Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

  5. #5
    it's only maintenance. that error appeared for me too
    GPU: Asus DCII 780 @ 1228 / 6700 CPU: i2500k @ 4,8 Ghz Motherboard: P8Z68-VPRO PSU: Corsair TX 850W
    CPU-Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Ram: Corsair 2x 4gb = 8gb CL9 1600mhz

    Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27inch 2560x1440 Mouse: G500s Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 Headset: Corsair 1500 SSD: Intel 520, 240gb

  6. #6
    Epic! vep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1,680
    I never owned an authenticator for any MMO I ever played. I never got hacked nor any kind of thing to worry.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Holydorf View Post
    Don't Panic!!

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/t...ccount-secure/


    It's dated yesterday, hope it'll help.

    I appreciate this, thank you.
    But tbvh, I would rather the game came out 2 weeks later as long as I had a two factor auth or something. I do not want to waste time worrying about if I still have an acct or not. First the AH won't work, fair enough..it takes time to fix but fuckin hv enuff security. It's lke Internet 101...FFS. I have been moderate with everyhting else nd open to my ideas being wrong but I really think Anet dropped the ball here.

    They have time to ban some people fer bad names but no times to secure our accounts....Not good Anet.

  8. #8
    Indeed, i may look a paranoid android, but internet is a mine field today.
    I have to agree that an authenticator is in order asap, more than a working BL Trading Co.
    I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar.

    Also:
    Raegwine - Sylvari Elementalist; Caplock - Charr Engineer; Noah Quickfingers - Asura Thief; Amund Stormchaser - Norn Ranger

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    I never owned an authenticator for any MMO I ever played. I never got hacked nor any kind of thing to worry.
    Do you really want to be the blind fanboy like we get in swtor or wow forum. Even you know two factor auth is great and its peace of mind for everyone who has it. Please don't give GW2 community the same rep as swtor

  10. #10
    Dreadlord Vexies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Posts
    978
    Some people simply refuse to use one. I really have no idea why as they are pretty much awesome. I never trusted the phone ones as I have had friends / guild mates have way to many issues with them but the physical ones are win. I really hope they produce those for GW2 as they are more than worth it for the peace of mind they bring to any game you really enjoy. I would buy one the second they where available.

    However it looks like they are going to do this email verification deal.. much rather they just provide me a authenticator

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    I never owned an authenticator for any MMO I ever played. I never got hacked nor any kind of thing to worry.
    If you're not famous or important then you're obviously not a target.

    Here's how it's usually done:
    *You become a target (let's say a popular streamer or a big guild leader or simply pissed off the wrong person)
    *Hacker will figure out your real name. Usually via facebook or clues or profiles or forums posts that lead to your facebook or your friends' facebook.
    *Once he has your real name, he looks you up on Skype and since Skype uses peer-to-peer, he instantly finds out your computer IP.
    *If your computer runs Windows operating system, then you're wide open.

    That's just an example of the default routine. There are tons of other ways to get it done.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    If you're not famous or important then you're obviously not a target.

    Here's how it's usually done:
    *You become a target (let's say a popular streamer or a big guild leader or simply pissed off the wrong person)
    *Hacker will figure out your real name. Usually via facebook or clues or profiles or forums posts that lead to your facebook or your friends' facebook.
    *Once he has your real name, he looks you up on Skype and since Skype uses peer-to-peer, he instantly finds out your computer IP.
    *If your computer runs Windows operating system, then you're wide open.

    That's just an example of the default routine. There are tons of other ways to get it done.
    lolwat?

    This is. just... ugh.

    @OP, although I don't know if calling people who dont want authenticators 'fanboys' is the right way to go around it, I would certainly like the option of having an Authenticator.

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    I appreciate this, thank you.
    But tbvh, I would rather the game came out 2 weeks later as long as I had a two factor auth or something. I do not want to waste time worrying about if I still have an acct or not. First the AH won't work, fair enough..it takes time to fix but fuckin hv enuff security. It's lke Internet 101...FFS. I have been moderate with everyhting else nd open to my ideas being wrong but I really think Anet dropped the ball here.

    They have time to ban some people fer bad names but no times to secure our accounts....Not good Anet.
    First of all Anet gave 3 day bans out for bad names that were against the ToS. Everything you can read about permanent bans because of bad names or bad speak isn't true and as Anet confirmed that these accounts were hacked.

    As for the authenticator. At E3 or Gamescom I think they presented an authenticator but they had no manufacturer for it but you could get a coupon for a free one. So I think that in the future there will be an authenticator. But I'm worried that so many people get hacked and I don't think that so many people don't know how to protect their account. With all these threads about bans and hacked account I don't know if I should buy and play the game. I really liked the beta weekends and planed to buy it this week but when so many accounts get baned because of a bad name and so many accounts get hacked it feels a little bit like if you're unlucky you throw money out the window.

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans Primernova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Rust Belt
    Posts
    2,873
    Played MMOs since EQ1, 8-10+ by now and have never been 'hacked'.

    Also never bought gold or any other questionable shit either.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    I never owned an authenticator for any MMO I ever played. I never got hacked nor any kind of thing to worry.
    Ive carried this wallet around for years, and ive never been attacked by bears. It must repel bears or something.

  17. #17
    Someone said something bad about Arenanet, here we go..............

    But really, they should have a mobile app ready to go. It's not too much to ask in the current state of gaming.

  18. #18
    I don't think they should ever be mandatory, an option though yeah why not. I'm not intrested myself though.

  19. #19
    I'll probably get accused of being a fanboi here, but there's a lot more stuff YOU can do to get better security, but obviously it takes a lot less effort to pin the blame on Anet.

    Personally, I wouldn't want another authenticator. I always have to have it with me, battery on my smartphone is regularly empty and it takes longer to log in. It's a lot easier not to spread your email address around on the internet, have good security on your computer and have a decent password which you mix around for different applications/websites.

    Hate incoming.

  20. #20
    Herald of the Titans Primernova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Rust Belt
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Someone said something bad about Arenanet, here we go..............

    But really, they should have a mobile app ready to go. It's not too much to ask in the current state of gaming.
    Still wouldn't bother.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •