Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    [solved] High CPU temp while playing GW2

    Now, I'm not sure if this goes to GW2 forum or PC forum, since the only time this ever happens is when I am playing GW2. Believe me, I've tried many games and none of them did this. Here are my specs:
    .
    As you can see, the temperature is around 50°C when idle. However, when I play GW2, it goes up to 92°C. Upgrading Nvidia driver did not help, lowering the details did not help. I poked around on google and it seems I am not the only one and it happens on various graphic cards (even ATI). I request your help.
    Last edited by Mrkew; 2012-08-30 at 03:40 PM.

  2. #2
    I think you mean GPU? (title says cpu). My 570 GTX gets owned by GW2, try manually setting the fan to a higher setting, only thing that worked for me.

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    turn on vsync or cap the framerate to 60, both are in options
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    turn on vsync or cap the framerate to 60, both are in options
    Capping fps didn't help, but I will try the vsync.

    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I think you mean GPU? (title says cpu). My 570 GTX gets owned by GW2, try manually setting the fan to a higher setting, only thing that worked for me.
    No, I mean CPU.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I think you mean GPU? (title says cpu). My 570 GTX gets owned by GW2, try manually setting the fan to a higher setting, only thing that worked for me.
    No, his picture clearly shows his i7 idling at 51C which he references in his post (perhaps the picture did not load for you). Is your BIOS up to date?


    Little by little I grow a little more bitter, sit down in my chair like a grown man to his dinner. "Where's my newspaper, boy? Dog, fetch me my slippers. Feed me, do the dishes, if you need me I'm in the shitter."

  6. #6
    Bloodsail Admiral moremana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,116
    No I think he meant cpu as in his graph it is 51c and not 37c.

    I noticed mine went up to almost 89c when playing gw2 as well on my q6600 Quad, I have been tinkering but haven't found a fix. I am running the AMD XFX 7770 for video card but the gpu never heats up past 41c while playing. Im stumped as well.

  7. #7
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Sandy bridge should not be idling at 50 degrees.
    You have a problem with your PC.

  8. #8
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Sandy bridge should not be idling at 50 degrees.
    You have a problem with your PC.
    but i thought you said those CPUs ran hot

    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  9. #9
    First things first, why are you talking about your cpu temperature and then your graphics card and driver? They're two completely different parts and changing a graphics card driver is not going to fix your cpu temperature problem.

    Your i7 2600k idling at 50 °C is already a problem without overclocking, it should be more around 25-27 °C and stressed going up to 92 °C is quite risky. I suggest not running anything that stresses your cpu to prevent damages, 92 is still in the safe region (barely) but it can't go much higher than that.

    Why is it getting that hot? Pretty simple :
    1) heatsink fan is not connected or not working
    2) heatsink is not properly mounted
    3) paste between cpu and heatsink is unable to properly transfer heat from the cpu to the heatsink

    *edit*
    Whatever you're using to show temperatures could also be wrong, try http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
    Last edited by dahmer; 2012-08-30 at 12:43 PM.
    An Apple fanboy called me a retard.
    In the real world that makes me a genius.

  10. #10
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kidderminster, England
    Posts
    306
    You need to reseat your heatsink, if that isn't the problem then your chip needs an RMA.
    PC: 3770k @ 4.6 / Noctua D14 / 16GB 1600mhz C8 Mushkin / Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H / MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III / 2x Dell U2311H / Lian Li A71FB / Mushkin Chronos 120GB - Seagate 2TB Green - WD Caviar Black 500GB / RAID0: Samsung F3 103SJ 1TB (x2) / Samsung SH123L Blu Ray
    Audio: Ultrasone PRO 2900s / Audio-GD NFB-3.1 / Neco Soundlabs Mosfett Amp

  11. #11
    Warchief Kezotar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    not sure
    Posts
    2,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    but i thought you said those CPUs ran hot

    Stop commenting. You're making no sense... What's your CPU Coller OP? Is it the stock or aftermarket?
    I7 - 4930K / 16 GB - 1600MHZ / R9 290 Core 1220 MHZ - Memory 1550 MHZ

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Sandy bridge should not be idling at 50 degrees.
    You have a problem with your PC.
    I agree with Mif above. Check your box & cpu fans are working, then check the cpu-fan contact to see if its fine. (assuming you built it.)

  13. #13
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    but i thought you said those CPUs ran hot

    It's Ivy Bridge that runs hot

  14. #14
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    If all else fails, fill your entire case with thermal paste.

    Seriously though, check the thermal paste. Don't forget to change it every ~2 years or so.

    Also get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of your case.

  15. #15
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    211
    Nvidia/ATI drivers have nothing to do with your CPU temperatures. Unless you have overclocked your CPU a god ton and have no heat sink those Temps are WAY too hot. As some have mentioned, check your Heatsink/cooler on your CPU, and also probably best to remove your CPU chip clean the residue off and reapply new thermal compound on it to reseat it.

    If those were GPU temps it wouldn't be a huge deal, but CPU different story.
    MB:Asus P9X79 WS CPU: SB-E 3930k GPU: 2xPowerColor 7970s LCS RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance SSD: 512gb Samsung 830 HDD: 1tb WD Black PSU: NZXT Hale90 1000w Monitors: 3xU2412M Dell IPS TV 42" LG H2O: XSPC Raystorm Extreme 360 kit w/ added 240 rad, 1/2" tubing Keyboard: Corsair K90 Mouse: Logitech G700
    Headset: Sennheiser PC333d Surround: 5.1 Yamaha w/ 12" powered JBL Sub.


  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by dahmer View Post
    First things first, why are you talking about your cpu temperature and then your graphics card and driver? They're two completely different parts and changing a graphics card driver is not going to fix your cpu temperature problem.

    Your i7 2600k idling at 50 °C is already a problem without overclocking, it should be more around 25-27 °C and stressed going up to 92 °C is quite risky. I suggest not running anything that stresses your cpu to prevent damages, 92 is still in the safe region (barely) but it can't go much higher than that.

    Why is it getting that hot? Pretty simple :
    1) heatsink fan is not connected or not working
    2) heatsink is not properly mounted
    3) paste between cpu and heatsink is unable to properly transfer heat from the cpu to the heatsink

    *edit*
    Whatever you're using to show temperatures could also be wrong, try http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
    Then why is it that the problem only appears while playing GW2? I've played TW2 and BF3 on max and didn't encounter such problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Stop commenting. You're making no sense... What's your CPU Coller OP? Is it the stock or aftermarket?
    I didn't upgrade anything so the default one.

  17. #17
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Voorhees83 View Post
    Unless you have overclocked your CPU a god ton and have no heat sink those Temps are WAY too hot.
    Nope, 3.4GHz is the stock clocking of the i7 2600k.

  18. #18
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    211
    Is your computer in the air conditioning, in a closet?, or in a hot area?
    MB:Asus P9X79 WS CPU: SB-E 3930k GPU: 2xPowerColor 7970s LCS RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance SSD: 512gb Samsung 830 HDD: 1tb WD Black PSU: NZXT Hale90 1000w Monitors: 3xU2412M Dell IPS TV 42" LG H2O: XSPC Raystorm Extreme 360 kit w/ added 240 rad, 1/2" tubing Keyboard: Corsair K90 Mouse: Logitech G700
    Headset: Sennheiser PC333d Surround: 5.1 Yamaha w/ 12" powered JBL Sub.


  19. #19
    GW2 does seem to use as much as it can get, although I'd suggest you take the heatsink off, reapply the thermal gunk and try again.

    Use Prime95 to get high temps though. That CPU can go to 72.6C quite safely according to Intel. If you're above that, you've got a problem.

    I set my GW2 to frame limit to 60 (which is all my monitor can handle anyway). No idea if that will stop it burning all the CPU time up.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkew View Post
    Then why is it that the problem only appears while playing GW2? I've played TW2 and BF3 on max and didn't encounter such problems.


    I didn't upgrade anything so the default one.
    Is that before or after playing GW2? have you played GW2 encounted the problem then gone back to BF3 to see if you get the same issue?

    Either way 51 idle is a bit to high for your cpu.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •