So, how crazy would this be, as a total replacement of the current resto shaman mastery?
- Keep the direct inverse relationship of lower health = more benefit from mastery.
- Take a snapshot of target's health, at start of heal being cast
- provide a flat, mastery-based percentage bonus amount to totemic heals, like HTT & HST. (SLT would be unaffected, I'd think)
- increase the haste (by mastery percentage) of single-target cast healing spells (i.e. shorter cast time, plus more HoT ticks)
- increase the critical chance (by mastery percentage) of both multiple-target cast healing spells, and auto/smart-heals.
With this mastery mechanic, it seems to me that spirit would remain a regen stat, and haste would remain a throughput stat, whereas crit and mastery would both be (albeit "chancy") throughput and regen stats. And, the power of mastery would increase with gear level. If Blizz needed to tweak Resto Shaman up or down, in power, then this would seem (to me) to be an easy way for them to do so, and more easily achieve balance. I'm thinking that it would also either eliminate the pursuit of haste breakpoints, or else make pursuing them a complicated and aggravating task.
Would it be balanced for PvE and PvP?
Would it be technically feasible?
Would it devalue other stats?