Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Why do you want people's chat censored?

I thought we were going in a direction of more freedom, but even in my beloved games I feel like I'm seeing a rising number of people who want to censor other's speech. I've read a few threads now and most people are in favor of banning people for something like "Attack the fucking boss your fucking fucker". I'm guessing the reasons for bans are narrow and that it's simply "bad words". I would imagine I could go around saying "I hope you get AIDS", "You're worse than a fat lady who hasn't bathed in 5 weeks", or "Your mother should have aborted you and ate the fetus as you could have provided more good that way" and I wouldn't be banned unless I add a few key words there. Ignore the fact that these examples are simply ridiculous, but I don't understand why these are more "acceptable" than other strings of sounds (or characters in this case).

I know this is a private application and they CAN do whatever they want with it, but my opinion is that people should be able to say what they want without a limit. I haven't looked for it, but I'm sure there's an ignore feature and if you don't want to acknowledge someon'e existence you could simply ignore them. I feel completely disconnected from a community that isn't allowed to speak as they'd like and really makes me want to avoid all interaction with others in the community. I see something like this in the same light as "Oh, people could potentially have illegal road races so let's ban cars." I simply don't understand a stance of censorship.

Please try to keep your response on topic and only explain your stance on censorship in games without bickering amongst each other. I'd just like to hear others' opinions of why you feel it's OK to tell someone else not do say something.

TL;DR
    Why don't you believe in a freedom of speech?
    Last edited by Koiglumth; 2012-08-30 at 03:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can talk any kind of random stuff you want, you'll have to confront the consequences, that's what you get from living on a society, don't be a dick and try to defend yourself on the so called freedom of speech.

Deleted
    In the same way you cannot use free speech to shout "FIRE FIRE!" in a crowded theatre a watch the ensuing mayhem as people rush to get out, possibly trampling others, you cannot run into a black neighbourhood screaming "DIE Niggers DIE" and try to claim free speech protection from you inciting reactionary violence. Free speech does not offer you the right to hate speech,

Same thing in games. You cannot bully and abuse people verbally and expect free speech protection.

Poor attempt at trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about free speech and you trying to make it about free speech is muddling the issue.
    It's not about "bad words". Arenanet said on Reddit that you don't get banned for the occasional fuck, but only if you verbally abuse other players. You can say, for example: "Wow, that event was fucking hard," but you can't say "You fucker, why can't you do the event."
    It's not that hard.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

in real life, you have freedom of speech. on somebody else's property (blizzard's), you do not.

EDIT guild wars 2 forum, so a-net, not blizzard
    Last edited by hellosaltygoodness; 2012-08-30 at 03:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh i forgot... 1 post.

Freedom of speech goes both ways. Still, your telling me that you need to type the F word to communicate your needs? Do you talk like that at work? I guess people don't understand the benefit of living in a civilized society or just having manners. Tell me how using certain words makes your point any clearer? I never understood the people who claimed the need to or better yet, "I type faster than I think". ... well duh.

Regardless, freedom of speech only exist at the level of your government not interfering with your ability to express yourself. Private entities do not have that limitation, especially those providing a service. I certainly don't come into these games to witness the immaturity of others, but boy do I get to.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    It's not about free speech and you trying to make it about free speech is muddling the issue.
    It's not about "bad words". Arenanet said on Reddit that you don't get banned for the occasional fuck, but only if you verbally abuse other players. You can say, for example: "Wow, that event was fucking hard," but you can't say "You fucker, why can't you do the event."
    It's not that hard.
    This.
    But it's hard, it seems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    You can talk any kind of random stuff you want, you'll have to confront the consequences, that's what you get from living on a society, don't be a dick and try to defend yourself on the so called freedom of speech.
    There's a filter ingame, learn to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    In the same way you cannot use free speech to shout "FIRE FIRE!" in a crowded theatre a watch the ensuing mayhem as people rush to get out, possibly trampling others, you cannot run into a black neighbourhood screaming "DIE Niggers DIE" and try to claim free speech protection from you inciting reactionary violence. Free speech does not offer you the right to hate speech,

Same thing in games. You cannot bully and abuse people verbally and expect free speech protection.

Actually, free speech does give you the right to speak in a bigoted and racist fashion. Your examples are crimes not for the words but the actions taken - both are disturbance of the peace. Running through a neighborhood screaming anything is grounds for DoP, however you're much more likely to be reported for your actions if you're inappropriate with your words.

The problem the OP is facing is that games have moved to the MMO platform for better or worse. Companies are no longer trying to sell individual copies but an environment. The vast majority of players would rather live and play in peace without hate speech being thrown around like candy since iGeneration places so much emphasis on shock humor that the majority doesn't truly understand. As such, in order to maximize profits, it only makes sense for a company - especially an MMORPG company - to lay down ground rules in regards to hate speech.

Deleted
    Can you turn mature language filter off? Haven't been able to find the setting.

Deleted
    Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can spout hateful speech, bully or insult others or anything like that. You have to face the consequences of what you do.

Interestingly enough, American media seems to disagree with the bolded part, at least in part. Look at the media coverage around Pussy Riot and their desecration of the biggest shrine in Russia. "Hay guys, freedom of speech protects them, let them out".

But since this isn't the OT forum, all that needs to be said is free speech guarantees don't extend on private property anyway.

You can't say whatever you want. You never could.

Not only that, there's a way to talk to people and there's a way not to. With people giving power to words, what you say show's respect or lack-thereof.

Is it legal to call a girl fat? Sure. But if there's something like a huge % chance that it is linked directly to depression, why would you do that willingly?

In games, it's the same thing. A community can make or break a game for some people. Whether there's a function to censor or not in-game via the filter, I don't think there's ever a reason to curse/slander someone for their actions, even if they are really freaking stupid. The fact is, adding these insults or cursing helps no one except your own idea of venting or hate...

If you want to talk about it for real, try asking yourself what the benefits from all that crappy language is...and once you find there are none, that's when you join a guild that is like that and keep it within that frame. There's never a reason to be such a douchebag even to a douchebag IMO. Maybe just join the reddit guild, that should keep all the douchebags together
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-30 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    There's a filter ingame, learn to use it.
    You missed the point. It's not about bad words, it's about hate speech. It's about meaning that words carry, and their consequences.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by nairobi13 View Post
    Can you turn mature language filter off? Haven't been able to find the setting.
    You can in the interface. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1874090/profanity.jpg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruth View Post
    Thanks buddy.

Here, have a Hitchslap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Interestingly enough, American media seems to disagree with the bolded part, at least in part. Look at the media coverage around Pussy Riot and their desecration of the biggest shrine in Russia. "Hay guys, freedom of speech protects them, let them out".

But since this isn't the OT forum, all that needs to be said is free speech guarantees don't extend on private property anyway.
    You realize, that the whole story is about the opression of regime-critics, not the "desecration" of a shrine

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    You missed the point. It's not about bad words, it's about hate speech. It's about meaning that words carry, and their consequences.
    If it's filtered than the message won't come across in the first place. I close to never chat offensive ingame, but I don't mind when other people do. I'd rather report the whiny people who start crying the moment they see the word "hitler" for example. (it's just an example, don't look anything behind it :P)

I get why you think it's wrong, I just don't find it worthy of banning people myself.