IS Engineering any good now?

Is it as bad as it used to be?

Engineering has always been amazing, I have no idea what you are talking about.

We don't have a new bomb in mop- only complaint I really have.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Engineering has always been amazing, I have no idea what you are talking about.

We don't have a new bomb in mop- only complaint I really have.
    Amazing for people who don't care to raid or pvp or do anything competitive. Engineering has always been "fun" but never really competitive. The "failure" mechanic is outdated and blizzard should honestly just do away with it. People will never use it competitively when there is a chance of death/spike in dmg involved.

It was one of the last professions I leveled up. Wrath by far ws the best expansion for this profession with all the gizmos you got to make.
    \

The glove enchant is equal to other profession perks? Also tonnes of fun tinkers
    With Fire and Brimstone I light my path.
    With Pain and Shadow I smite my foes.
    With Demon and Fel I raise my armies.
    I AM WARLOCK, THE END OF YOU ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    Amazing for people who don't care to raid or pvp or do anything competitive. Engineering has always been "fun" but never really competitive. The "failure" mechanic is outdated and blizzard should honestly just do away with it. People will never use it competitively when there is a chance of death/spike in dmg involved.
    The glove enchant that you do to increase the your primary stats is still on of the best profession buffs you can have. I use it all the time when I raid or BG. Got to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    Amazing for people who don't care to raid or pvp or do anything competitive.
    I do both of those things. I'm not a gladiator, but I've been above 2200 most seasons. I raid pretty competitively- again, not super top whatever, but we did go 8/8 in March, which gave us a rank I was pretty pleased with. I encourage all my raiders to go engineering.

Engineering has always been "fun" but never really competitive.
    Absolutely incorrect. What exactly are you comparing it to?

On live, the benefits are:

+80 mainstat or 120 stam:: Inscription Alchemy Leatherworking Blacksmithing* Jewelcrafting**
    +120 stam: mining
    +Haste on cooldown: Herbalism
    +80 crit: Skinning
    +Proc effect: Tailoring
    +Stat proc balled up but averages to 80 stats: Engineering

*No, the bonus +20 stats doesn't matter because if you got full epic gems before you got 8/8, there's plenty more you didn't optimize
    **No, the lack of stats in full epic gems doesn't matter either, and for the same reason.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE

In addition to being able to wad up your 80 stats worth of dps and time it with a cooldown or a damage phase, which is almost always going to be better, you can also sometimes do rocket boots! Now, yes, these CAN fail, but guess what- you don't normally NEED them. I just communicate what's going on if I have a rocked boot failure, and if we are doing something where they can't fail and I'm going to use them (say, twin dragons), then we just grumble and wipe- but that's super uncommon. Mostly I'll just cloak a boot failure.

Between the bolt gun and the bombs, I have a minor amount of damage that I can get out of engineering that nothing else provides.

Now, engineering ALSO has fun things- mind control instead of the rocket boots, or an invis thing that I don't need as a rogue, or some defensive stuff.

The "failure" mechanic is outdated and blizzard should honestly just do away with it. People will never use it competitively when there is a chance of death/spike in dmg involved.
    No. The "failure" mechanic, if they took it away, they would have to basically delete everything good about the profession. If there was no failure no rocket boots, literally everyone would be in the position where they SHOULD have rocket boots. As it is, if the whole raid rocket boots at once, you are almost guaranteed some failures. That lets Blizzard look the other way when we take risks with boots and sometimes they pay off.

Remember- the other professions don't HAVE anything like that. If you put the tinker on your gloves, it's balanced around being your 80 stat bonus. If you put the tinker on your belt, it's "free", and has to have a chance of failure.