Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Erm, there already is.
    Hmmm, thanks for that ;-) Hadn't thought of doing it that way.... still could do with listing all the applications rather than requiring you to add each one. similar to the way the NVidia network software does... And seriously? Not being able to add a program which isn't a .exe?
    And yes i'm being picky... because it's supposed to be user friendly.
    For example I had to lookup what DSCP Value is/means and i'm still not sure I fully understand, and this is from someone who just graduated from a Computer Network Engineering 4 year course.
    Also the Windows key.... is super underused and 90% of users still wonder if it actually does something...Therefore keeping the desktop version to still using a mouse for this event is pretty much a no-brainer since thats what the user is already using.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-09-01 at 11:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I don't see what's so wrong with Win8. Seems just like Win7, better and faster. You don't need to use Metro if you don't want to.

It's true they could just make Win8 be a SP of Win7, but that still doesn't make it bad.

EDIT: Of course I'm not a computer pro in any way, this is just how I see it.
    As you've pretty much pointed out the majority of people with problems with windows 8 will be ones who dislike the "metro" UI, probably got put off before they even tried it/subsequently haven't tried it and haven't realised how little you actually use it.

---------- Post added 2012-09-01 at 12:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Open MSN in the Messaging app. Open a conversation with someone you know will respond. Now go to desktop and wait. There are no kinds of notifications for when you receive messages in the Messaging apps, unless you've positioned it to split with your desktop, so you see it on screen at all times.
    Hate to burst your roll... but I get a big purple popup with the message and the contact picture in the top right of my screen when I get the first response that day. Granted its dead easy to miss becuase it goes away like 2 seconds later....

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Hate to burst your roll... but I get a big purple popup with the message and the contact picture in the top right of my screen when I get the first response that day. Granted its dead easy to miss becuase it goes away like 2 seconds later....
    Trust me when I say I sure as hell didn't get any notifications... >.> Whether that was a bug or was recently implemented I don't know. Or it could've been there all along, and I disabled pop-ups (if it's anything what you describe it as).

Because I don't like popup messages. Non-intrusive notifications (ala MSN's icon on the taskbar glowing) is my preferred method of notification. So I think I'd probably reflexively punch the screen if I got popups. -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    Trust me when I say I sure as hell didn't get any notifications... >.> Whether that was a bug or was recently implemented I don't know. Or it could've been there all along, and I disabled pop-ups (if it's anything what you describe it as).

Because I don't like popup messages. Non-intrusive notifications (ala MSN's icon on the taskbar glowing) is my preferred method of notification. So I think I'd probably reflexively punch the screen if I got popups. -.-
    I believe you... and they are sure easy to miss (on a side note I am using the "Release Preview with App Preview" version of Win8 still.) It is literally only shown for about 2 seconds so if you don't happen to be looking at the screen at the time then you'll miss it. (I am using all default settings)
    eg:
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-09-01 at 11:51 AM.

That's new. I've yet to see it in my W8 installs at all. But if you've been keeping an eye open on the discussion: Manuals and guides that have to teach you what should be obvious is ridiculous. It's also a bad way of introducing anything at all; it's a really stilted video.

It's good that MS did try for a solution, but why not just a goddamn button? What stops MS from doing the simple approach to things? Why pull awkward and roundabout solutions out of their ass?

Open MSN in the Messaging app. Open a conversation with someone you know will respond. Now go to desktop and wait. There are no kinds of notifications for when you receive messages in the Messaging apps, unless you've positioned it to split with your desktop, so you see it on screen at all times.

The split works well I guess within Metro, but mix in the Desktop and it becomes a really awkward solution that appears quite bloated. Nevermind that quite a few apps are clearly unsuited for being split in the first place. (Photos for example.)

And a context menu is relevant how? None of the apps I've seen still offer an exit button for example. I don't even use exit buttons for anything but this: Hover over to see a keyboard shortcut, in case I don't know it and the label doesn't include it next to it. And heck, the context menus are bullshit to begin with; it brings up the menu on the bottom. Really guys? I'd understand if it would bring up what was essentially the taskbar at the same time, but this is silly.

I don't care how the new run-time does things. New paradigm and all is cute, but that's no reason to make killing apps yourself so awkward.

And it's good that we all have our own ways of doing things. But that is where things are going wrong. What I'm trying to say in the first place is that a lot of users' normal behavior is being forcibly changed here.

I know my parents and step-dad would never be able to use W8 without flinging their PC out the door, because they all have issues adjusting to computers in the first place. And that's with my dad being a civil engineer and my mum being one of the most flexible and generally savvy people I've met in my life... -.-

W8 lets users already familiar with touch and especially tablets get comfortable pretty fast, but after that it's an extremely mixed bag.

I answered your questions here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-a-flop/page49

To save this thread from becoming another metro/Windows 8 bashing thread.
    Last edited by Xevan; 2012-09-02 at 02:21 AM.
    I remember it all too well

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    For example I had to lookup what DSCP Value is/means and i'm still not sure I fully understand
    In a simplified manner, it transfers the priority type of the packet to the router(s) up ahead - so they too can apply appropriate QOS and traffic management without actually knowing anything about it themselves. The packet for example says its "low priority" so the router applies low priorities to sending it.

Its mainly for internal network use, routers on the Internet are prone to ignoring or scrubbing these values.

Its basically just the TOS (Type of Service) portion of the IPv4 packet renamed and repurposed.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2012-09-02 at 02:43 AM.