Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Well, http://www.wowinterface.com/download...oPEdition.html

    Old Powa editions won't work anymore. If anyone is using outdated versions, you need absolutely to update the addon.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2012-08-31 at 07:43 AM.

  2. #22
    Immortal Ryme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a field, somewhere
    Posts
    7,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Which you can just determine with one look at the boss health bar?

    Oh well, some people can't function without AddOns, I presume.
    No, it's simply a fact that a computer is better at PvE than you are. Setting up notifications like this, and acting accordingly, is guaranteed to be a dps increase on average.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  3. #23
    I find Power Auras broken.

    However, I downloaded Weak Auras and it works just find for 35% HP, the legendary proc and anything else.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    No, it's simply a fact that a computer is better at PvE than you are. Setting up notifications like this, and acting accordingly, is guaranteed to be a dps increase on average.
    That makes absolutely no sense. The computer will tell you that your target is 35% or under from its life bar already. The power aura he wants provides absolutely 0 additional information. All it does it make it easier to notice, but YOU, the person playing, still have to actually notice the power aura telling you its 35% just like you would have to notice the health bar telling you its 35%.

    Also, you can easily miss a power aura just like you can easily miss noticing on the hp bar. Sure, a power aura is likely to be a lot harder to miss, but unless you are going to make it some obscenely obtrusive power aura, it wouldn't be that hard. And I don't know why you would make it obscenely obtrusive since you'd have to look at it for 1/3 of the fight.

  5. #25
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Irish - Lives in Glasgow
    Posts
    101
    Personally I just use a very small addon called Targethealthpercentage, have it next to the boss frame, changes colour at different points (50/35% if i recall), that way I can still see the boss's health as a statistic and then have the percentage.

  6. #26
    Immortal Ryme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a field, somewhere
    Posts
    7,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense. The computer will tell you that your target is 35% or under from its life bar already. The power aura he wants provides absolutely 0 additional information. All it does it make it easier to notice, but YOU, the person playing, still have to actually notice the power aura telling you its 35% just like you would have to notice the health bar telling you its 35%.

    Also, you can easily miss a power aura just like you can easily miss noticing on the hp bar. Sure, a power aura is likely to be a lot harder to miss, but unless you are going to make it some obscenely obtrusive power aura, it wouldn't be that hard. And I don't know why you would make it obscenely obtrusive since you'd have to look at it for 1/3 of the fight.
    It makes absolutely loads of sense, it's why boss mods are great. Sure you can notice you're in the fire, but a warning that yells that you're in a fire is better. Centralised information is always better, this is life, how do you not get this? Go outside and look at everything that's supposed to give you information, even magazines, look how the information is arranged.
    Last edited by Ryme; 2012-08-31 at 11:42 AM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense. The computer will tell you that your target is 35% or under from its life bar already. The power aura he wants provides absolutely 0 additional information. All it does it make it easier to notice, but YOU, the person playing, still have to actually notice the power aura telling you its 35% just like you would have to notice the health bar telling you its 35%.

    Also, you can easily miss a power aura just like you can easily miss noticing on the hp bar. Sure, a power aura is likely to be a lot harder to miss, but unless you are going to make it some obscenely obtrusive power aura, it wouldn't be that hard. And I don't know why you would make it obscenely obtrusive since you'd have to look at it for 1/3 of the fight.
    Some people don't use percentages for their health bars. (I, for one, don't).

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense. The computer will tell you that your target is 35% or under from its life bar already. The power aura he wants provides absolutely 0 additional information. All it does it make it easier to notice, but YOU, the person playing, still have to actually notice the power aura telling you its 35% just like you would have to notice the health bar telling you its 35%.

    Also, you can easily miss a power aura just like you can easily miss noticing on the hp bar. Sure, a power aura is likely to be a lot harder to miss, but unless you are going to make it some obscenely obtrusive power aura, it wouldn't be that hard. And I don't know why you would make it obscenely obtrusive since you'd have to look at it for 1/3 of the fight.
    It's all about getting used to it or not. People find big flashy obstructive textures as i find cool and perfectly readable my 10px pixel fonts. It's about personal tastes.

    I agree with you that addons are absolutely not needed for competitive raiding and dps - still with addons you can display the same informations in a better way. The "better way" anyway it's about personal tastes, so while i aim for an empty screen, others want shinies.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    It makes absolutely loads of sense, it's why boss mods are great. Sure you can notice you're in the fire, but a warning that yells that you're in a fire is better. Centralised information is always better, this is life, how do you not get this? Go outside and look at everything that's supposed to give you information, even magazines, look how the information is arranged.
    Except that is absolutely NOT what you said. I didn't knock centralized information. Your response to the suggestion to just look at the hp bar was that a computer is better at pve than 'you'. That makes no sense. The computer isn't doing anything for you. Your flashy power aura isn't forcing you into dispatching, just like the boss hp bar being at 35% isn't forcing you into dispatching. In both cases it is about the player processing information on the screen. Your computer knows when the boss is at 35% without a power aura and without a hp bar, that doesn't help you at all.

  10. #30
    Immortal Ryme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a field, somewhere
    Posts
    7,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Except that is absolutely NOT what you said. I didn't knock centralized information. Your response to the suggestion to just look at the hp bar was that a computer is better at pve than 'you'. That makes no sense. The computer isn't doing anything for you. Your flashy power aura isn't forcing you into dispatching, just like the boss hp bar being at 35% isn't forcing you into dispatching. In both cases it is about the player processing information on the screen. Your computer knows when the boss is at 35% without a power aura and without a hp bar, that doesn't help you at all.
    Right, gotcha.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    It's all about getting used to it or not. People find big flashy obstructive textures as i find cool and perfectly readable my 10px pixel fonts. It's about personal tastes.
    I think this is a misconception about power auras. The addon has complete customization and can be scaled, moved, rotated, change transparency etc. When i first saw the addon years ago I disliked the big obstructive flashy textures, and then I played with it and scaled them down to what was essentially small transparent icons by my player frame.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxi View Post
    I think this is a misconception about power auras. The addon has complete customization and can be scaled, moved, rotated, change transparency etc. When i first saw the addon years ago I disliked the big obstructive flashy textures, and then I played with it and scaled them down to what was essentially small transparent icons by my player frame.
    I don't think he has a misconception at all. He has a pre-existing ui element which he has no problem noticing that already makes him aware of that. Do you make several different power auras to alert you to 1 single event? Probably not, that would be dumb. So if he already has a small, inconspicuous thing on his ui to alert him when the boss reached 35%, why should be make some additional small transparent icon or whatever and clutter his screen further?

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    I don't think he has a misconception at all. He has a pre-existing ui element which he has no problem noticing that already makes him aware of that. Do you make several different power auras to alert you to 1 single event? Probably not, that would be dumb. So if he already has a small, inconspicuous thing on his ui to alert him when the boss reached 35%, why should be make some additional small transparent icon or whatever and clutter his screen further?
    Different people prefer different approaches.
    I rolled 100% old school until I acquired my Fangs of the Father daggers. I was simply using the standard UI, with no added features. Looked to the right corner to keep track of SND and Recuperate, and below my target icon for debuffs. However, the randomness of Fury of the Destroyer just made it impossible to follow with the naked eye, so I simply created an aura that'd flash up and make a loud noise whenever the buff had been detected. This allows me to instantly react to a completely random and unpredictable feature in the game that would otherwise demand a great deal of attention from me. Apart from that, the only other thing I "aura'ed" was Tricks, because I simply can't be assed to keep looking at it...

    I've heard of rogues making an aura for Slice, Recup, Rupture, reaching 5 CP's..... Pretty much everything that you could possibly need to keep track off!

    Point is, for some people looking at 3 different places and keeping track of timers, while reacting to the events in the game isn't too hard. For others, having one concentrated area with everything they need to keep track of is just "easier for the eyes".

    To you it might be "cluttering of the screen". To someone else it could just as well be less confusing. Eye of the beholder, etc...

  14. #34
    You are completely ignoring 1 significant part. What he had worked perfectly for him (as it does for me). In your example, your blizzard buffs were not working perfectly for your daggers, therefore making something else makes sense. Did you make 2 identical auras (aside from graphics) to both show up for each dagger proc? Probably not because the first one you set up was working fine for you right? That second one is just needless clutter because you already had something that worked great.

    Again, I'm not knocking auras or people that want them. You did fine without a SnD aura using the blizzard buffs. Coldkill and I do fine without a boss hp aura using the hp frame. What I am knocking is the idea that you should add something else to your ui that supplies you with completely redundant information that you had no problems processing in the first place. However small Moxi's aura for that is, it is still redundant clutter if you have absolutely no issue processing that information with the hp frame.

  15. #35
    By all means, keep arguing. I just want to know where to get the new Power Auras. I can't seem to find it in Curse Client.
    Last edited by Mohammed; 2012-08-31 at 10:58 PM.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by tavalus View Post
    Mind explaining how you got Blindside to work with it? I tried setting up a Unit Buff/Debuff trigger along with it but it doesn't work. It pops when mob is <35% but doesn't when blideside procs. Also, since you set up the main one as a Unit Health one you don't get to put in the actual spell detail for Dispatch, is there any way to get it to use the Dispatch texture? I tried enabling the normal option you would but it just shows a little WoW icon.
    Idd, a more detailed explanation would be very much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed View Post
    By all means, keep arguing. I just want to know where to get the new Power Auras. I can't seem to find it in Curse Client.
    Top of page 2, Coldkil posted a link:
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Well, http://www.wowinterface.com/download...oPEdition.html

    Old Powa editions won't work anymore. If anyone is using outdated versions, you need absolutely to update the addon.

  18. #38
    You have to change your curse client to accept Beta updates for power auras since that's what it is currently listed under. The Dispatch aura worked perfectly, thank you!

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Top of page 2, Coldkil posted a link:

    I went there but it keeps redirecting to the front page.. i search for "power auras" but get a bunch of addons/sounds etc.. for it.. which one particularly?

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightnail View Post
    I went there but it keeps redirecting to the front page.. i search for "power auras" but get a bunch of addons/sounds etc.. for it.. which one particularly?
    Uh yeah you're right. I don't see the MoP version on there at all, but his link is the same place I got mine at earlier. Dunno why it got taken down, mine works without errors just fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •