The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

New Processor help!

So, my PC is really running crap these days, and ive been looking at getting a new one, i came across one that is very much within my very low budget lol, like, 4gig ram/500g HDD, and the only thing i'm unsure about is the processor, as the numbers in processors confuse the monkey out of me, this one :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116409
    Seems to get very nice reviews, the only reason i'm hesitant is because it's a 2.4Ghz, and currently i have one that is also 2.4 but is crap, Am i being a complete noob in using that to compare? i saw one that was a 3Ghz and immediately thought it must be better, but i can't find out much about it, incase you wish to see:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-E5700-...pr_product_top

So yes, TL;DR is the One i linked on NewEgg going to give me good results in WoW for example, i used to play on mainly highest settings before i had to get this replacement PC i'm using, and now have to use lowest settings on everything, which still gives me trouble!

Thanks alot!

We can't know what the performance difference will be without knowing which processor (and the rest of your rig) you're currently using. Also keep in mind that upgrading to a newer generation processor will require you to also purchase a compatible motherboard to support it (sometimes RAM as well).

If you link your current specs we will have a better idea. Linking your video card is also a good idea as that may be contributing to your problems with newer games.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    We can't know what the performance difference will be without knowing which processor (and the rest of your rig) you're currently using. Also keep in mind that upgrading to a newer generation processor will require you to also purchase a compatible motherboard to support it (sometimes RAM as well).

If you link your current specs we will have a better idea. Linking your video card is also a good idea as that may be contributing to your problems with newer games.
    That processor i linked is in a whole new system, i will be totaly replacing mine, i would just like to know if anyone knows how well it should perform with gaming
    Currently i have an ATI Radeon HD 4600, which always performed well

Dont expect to much out of a 50 dollar processor for gaming, u should at least try for a a Pentium G8xx series for about 30-40 more or even better an i3 21xx series.
    Last edited by demonskies; 2012-08-30 at 09:22 PM.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    That processor i linked is in a whole new system, i will be totaly replacing mine, i would just like to know if anyone knows how well it should perform with gaming
    Currently i have an ATI Radeon HD 4600, which always performed well
    you'll have shitty performance on any game published after 2010...

Probably going for 15 fps in raid in wow...

this is a craptastic pc...You should wait a little bit and stack more cash to get a real pc...This one's built for office purpose...

What is your budget? You can get a lot for a decent price nowadays, but you have to be realistic. You're not going to replace your current pc for 100 bucks, you know?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Dont expect to much out of a 50 dollar processor for gaming, u should at least try for a a Pentium G8xx series for about 30-40 more or even better an i3 21xx series.
    What about :
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819115077
    Thats about as far as my budget reaches

Deleted
    what socket is your mobo? the 2 in your post are different and won't fit in just any old motherboard y'know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krytz View Post
    what socket is your mobo? the 2 in your post are different and won't fit in just any old motherboard y'know.
    As i mentioned above, I'm looking at fully built PCs, and basing a big part of my choice on the processor it comes with

What about :
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819115077
    Thats about as far as my budget reaches
    If you can afford that I would get that over the one you originally listed. You probably wont be playing ultra settings but its probably the best newer generation CPU in the budget range to play games on pretty good settings. Alos building on the 1155 platform you will be able to stash money away and convert to an i5 2500k or 3570k later on down the line.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Can you link the prebuilt/parts list you're looking at? You can't use a processor from a different generation without buying a new motherboard.

A point to note: Celeron processors are extreme budget processors. For gaming, you should stay away from those.

The i3-2120 should be able to run WoW at low settings if you have an acceptable graphics card ($80-100).
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-08-31 at 12:17 AM.

There really isn't anything wrong with using Celerons for budget gaming. It's important to note that the entire Sandy Bridge line (essentially) has the same clock to clock, core to core strength. For example:

1. A Celeron G530 has the exact same architecture as an i3-2100, it just doesn't have hyperthreading.
    2. An i3-2120 has the exact same architecture as an i7-2600k, it just doesn't have a working 3rd or 4th core.

So on and so on. For dual threaded gaming, clock for clock, every processor in the line should perform the same from Celerons to i7s. So a i7 clocked at 2.4Ghz (G530's clock) should perform almost identically in dual threaded gaming as the G530 itself. This is of course ignoring the small differences in cache sizes, but it's close enough.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    A point to note: Celeron processors are extreme budget processors. For gaming, you should stay away from those.
    AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE. They're some of the worst (if not THE worst) processors on the market speaking purely in terms of performance. Seriously, I've seen Facebook games kill these things. Really, not joking. Spread the word.

I've heard some of the more recent Celerons aren't terrible, but they've got such a horrid history for performance that I wouldn't chance it.

Honestly, for a client like WoW where most of the actual data processing is done server-side, the processor isn't as important as the graphics card. Pretty much any modern processor that has two+ cores and supports DDR3 should do fine. I wouldn't look at any processor that's much over $100. Hell you can get a Bulldozer for ~$100 and that's quad core, 3+ghz, more than enough for WoW. The i3 you linked would be good too. If WoW is your only consideration I'd go moderate with the processor and spend as much as your budget allows on the graphics/memory. Of course that's easier said than done with pre-built systems as the hardware tends to have an overall performance value in each machine (I.E. you're probably not gonna find a machine with a crap processor and 8 gigs of ram and two graphics cards).

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your replys i was also looking at making sure the motherboard had the correct chipset so i have potential to upgrade if i need too, i was told a while a go to go with something with the 1155,and i was going to throw my ATI Radeon HD 4600 in to replace the standard built in card, and run with 8gig/ram with Win 7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by DFLX View Post
    AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE. They're some of the worst (if not THE worst) processors on the market speaking purely in terms of performance. Seriously, I've seen Facebook games kill these things. Really, not joking. Spread the word.

I've heard some of the more recent Celerons aren't terrible, but they've got such a horrid history for performance that I wouldn't chance it.

Honestly, for a client like WoW where most of the actual data processing is done server-side, the processor isn't as important as the graphics card. Pretty much any modern processor that has two+ cores and supports DDR3 should do fine. I wouldn't look at any processor that's much over $100. Hell you can get a Bulldozer for ~$100 and that's quad core, 3+ghz, more than enough for WoW. The i3 you linked would be good too. If WoW is your only consideration I'd go moderate with the processor and spend as much as your budget allows on the graphics/memory. Of course that's easier said than done with pre-built systems as the hardware tends to have an overall performance value in each machine (I.E. you're probably not gonna find a machine with a crap processor and 8 gigs of ram and two graphics cards).
    WoW is more CPU dependent. You can do a search all over google in about 2 seconds and read it just about every where.

Thanks for your replys i was also looking at making sure the motherboard had the correct chipset so i have potential to upgrade if i need too, i was told a while a go to go with something with the 1155,and i was going to throw my ATI Radeon HD 4600 in to replace the standard built in card, and run with 8gig/ram with Win 7 64bit
    The 46xx card you have is pretty much going to negate any upgrade you go through with. It was a weak card when it was released over 4 years ago, and compared to current mid end cards of today, it's (not exaggerating) around 400-500% behind something like the 660 ti or 7870.

You simply cannot expect any playable results with it in modern games. About the only thing you can expect is to set any newish game down to absolute minimum settings and hope for decent FPS.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-09-01 at 12:28 AM.

build pics

personally i think an ATI 4600 is terrible but whatever, i currently am using an i3-2100, not to sure what the difference is between 2100 and 2120 but my i3-2100 does fine for me and if the 2120 is better (if it is, not sure..) then you'll get 60 fps on med settings i.m.o

I use to use a Pentium processor and xfx 5550 hd card, and got 60 fps on ultra settings minus a few (shadow quality was a killer), get the i3 processor and test it out, you may find that you can't play high, but you can play medium fine, and then as time goes on get a upgraded card.