Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Navy SEAL on Bin Laden Raid Speaks Out

From time to time, the government release different edition of story. Should they have a report after each mission? Or they have no ability to describe an event?

Navy SEAL on Bin Laden Raid Speaks Out
    By LEE FERRAN and LUIS MARTINEZ | ABC News – Wed, Aug 29, 2012.

The reported account appears to differ from earlier versions of the raid given by U.S. officials, including that of White House spokesperson Jay Carney, that the SEALs had entered the room before bin Laden was shot, that one of bin Laden's wives charged the SEALs and that bin Laden had "resisted" before he was killed, even if he was unarmed.

http://news.yahoo.com/seal-book-desc...opstories.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by katsung47 View Post
    From time to time, the government release different edition of story. Should they have a report after each mission? Or they have no ability to describe an event?
    It's a minor discrepancy that's been blown to utterly absurd proportions because the OBL's killing is a massive feather in Obama's cap. Drudge ran with the head line "Osama already dead," which, at first glance, made it seem like the raid was redundant.

The story that came out of the White House doesn't sound much like a raid by the world's most elite fighting force.

The story of "we landed, executed him and flew away in the space of a few minutes" is a lot more likely.
    Last edited by Tinykong; 2012-08-30 at 09:34 PM.

Something tells me that for the majority of people, it doesn't really matter if he was shot at the door, in the room or sitting on the toilet dropping the kids off at the pool, those who believe he's dead are just glad he's dead and the conspiracy theorists are all having their biggest field day since 9/11 - doesn't matter what the book says in the end, key point is he dead.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

The real question is was he wearing the red Yankee's hat or the classical blue one when they tossed him into the ocean as fish food.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2012-08-30 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    The real question is was he wearing the red Yankee's hat or the classical blue one when they tossed him into the ocean as fish food.
    a Red Sox hat - would explain a lot about their monumental failures over the last 2 years!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    What totally puzzles me is how they apparently let him have a traditional Muslim funeral, as if they respect the religion or him. Especially since they just killed him as if he can do anything while he's unarmed. Yes, i actually do think it would have been better if he was brought in alive than just executed like that because i don't care about what a farce it would be or the publicity, i just care about justice, and it wasn't justice that was served that day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do people care how the raid was pulled off? He's dead, that's the ONLY point that matters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Something tells me that for the majority of people, it doesn't really matter if he was shot at the door, in the room or sitting on the toilet dropping the kids off at the pool, those who believe he's dead are just glad he's dead and the conspiracy theorists are all having their biggest field day since 9/11 - doesn't matter what the book says in the end, key point is he dead.
    This. I don't give Obama much credit for it, but I am still happy he is dead. Maybe I feel les vindicated because he might have been dead already, but regardless, I am happy that he is no longer a threat.

Deleted
    Aren't your SF guys bound by some-sort of non-disclosure policy or what?

I support Obama, but I don't really give him credit.

This was pulled off by Navy Seals and the "Intelligence" portion of our government and Allies.

Obama just said go. The pieces we already in place.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is off topic but you'd be surprised how many Muslims worldwide reject the Jihad Against the West. As long as they don't get bombed at night they don't care any more than "we" do XD

Quote Originally Posted by Eowenn View Post
    Why do people care how the raid was pulled off? He's dead, that's the ONLY point that matters to me.
    THIS times a thousand.

People only really care about the fact that he is dead anyways more than the who, how and what happened to his body afterward. I wouldn't say they gave him a traditional Islamic Funeral out of respect for him. They didn't want Jihadists to say the SEALS desicrated his body. They got a local Imam (from the Middle East) who would tend to OBL's body ahead of time. He was later able to independently verify the man's body had been given a proper Islamic "burial". I doubt the Imam knew it was OBL until the SEALS returned to the ship with his body personally. Not that they'd tell him beforehand but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    The Pentagon has to sign off on it. The reason we're talking about it is the Pentagon didn't hear about the book until it was announced to the world a few weeks ago. I think the most the Pentagon can do is delay the book's release and get an advance copy since we are talking about a Black Op Mission.

The SEAL could get in trouble for not following protocol. He knows that and the Pentagon could easily block the book's release if they want to. The Pentagon is required to review the Manuscript of anything written by a past or current soldier who participates in classified missions and exercises. They need to see if any classified info regarding techniques, technology, and other stuff that could potentially be used as a form of intelligence by America's enemies isn't leaked in the book.

THIS is what has the conspiracy theorists so excited. This book hasn't been prescreened by the Pentagon so...yeah. Call it Military censorship if you want but IMO I wouldn't take the chance of someone using classified information from this book against the US.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Excerpts from SEAL's book about Osama bin Laden killing

Larry Shaughnessy

The new book by former Navy SEAL Matt Bissonnette, published under the pseudonym Mark Owen, has some eye-opening, sometimes amusing details about the mission that killed Osama bin Laden.

"No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden" goes step by step through the SEAL team's training and practicing for the attack, the assault itself and the aftermath.

One might find it odd that in the midst of one of the most important Special Operations missions ever, most of these elite warriors weren't exactly pumped up on the flight to bin Laden's compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

"I think most of the guys on the helicopter actually caught some much-needed sleep on the ride in. ... All the hype was gone and it was just another night at work for us."

But that sleepy helicopter ride quickly turned bad.

"Suddenly, the helicopter kicked to the right 90 degrees and I could feel my stomach drop like riding a roller-coaster. The rotors above me screamed as the Black Hawk tried to claw its way back into the air. With each second, the helicopter slipped closer toward the earth."

The helicopter crash-landed in the bin Laden compound but the tail rotor hung over the wall outside the compound. No one on the helicopter was hurt and they quickly got to work on the main mission.

Obviously the killing of bin Laden is what is drawing the most attention to the book. Bissonnette wrote about his concerns that bin Laden would put up a fight.

""Roughly 15 minutes had passed and bin Laden had plenty of time to strap on a suicide vest or simply get his gun."

Bin Laden was not wearing a vest when he died. His two guns, according to Bissonnette, were on a shelf in his bedroom, apparently untouched.

After the helicopter crash and a hard fight to get through the compound's defenses, Bissonnette and several other SEALS were near the top floor of the compound, where intelligence predicted Osama bin Laden would be.

"We were less than five steps from getting to the top when I heard suppressed shots.
    "BOP. BOP.
    "The point man had seen a man peeking out of the door on the right side of the hallway about 10 feet in front of him. I couldn't tell from my position if the rounds hit the target or not. The man disappeared into the dark room."

The man who peeked out the door had been shot, but was still moving when the SEALs entered the room. Bissonnette described the end.

"In his death throes, he was still twitching and convulsing. Another assaulter and I trained our lasers on his chest and fired several rounds. The bullets tore into him, slamming his body into the floor until he was motionless."

But there was still the question of whom they had killed. One of Bissonnette's roles was photographing the body.

"It was strange to see such an infamous face up close. Lying in front of me was the reason we had been fighting for the last decade. It was surreal trying to clean blood off the most wanted man in the world so that I could shoot his photo. I had to focus on the mission, right now we needed some good quality photos."

One of his fellow SEALs, a self-taught Arabic speaker he called Will, tried another way to confirm the dead man's identity. (Bissonnette used only false first names for the team members.)

"Will knelt down and asked the girls, 'Who is the man?'
    The girl didn't know to lie.
    'Osama bin Laden.'
    Will smiled.
    'Are you sure that is Osama bin Laden?'
    'Yes,' the girl said."

Jay, one of the team's leaders, came into the room, looked at the body and heard that the girl and, later, one of the wives, had said it was bin Laden.

He stepped outside and used a satellite phone to call Adm. William McRaven, the Navy officer overseeing the mission.

"'For God and country, I pass Geronimo,' Jay said. Geronimo E.K.I.A.' "

That was code for telling McRaven the team had killed Osama bin Laden.

Later, after they returned to Afghanistan, Bissonnette sought out the pilot of the helicopter that crashed. It was a man he called Teddy.

"I intercepted him as he walked into the hangar and gave him a crush bear hug," Bissonnette wrote. "I know for a fact he kept the mission on track by ditching the way he did. Everybody focused on who pulled the trigger. One wrong move and we all would have been in a pile of debris in the courtyard. Teddy saved all our lives."

If he was on the floor and part of the mission was to try and arrest him. Why was he shot again once he was down?

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Not really, the only thing binding them is whether what they're talking about is classified or not.

As soon as it is declassified, they can run around gabbing like a schoolgirl to every reporter they see with no need for approval from anyone.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

10+ Year Old Account
    That may be true, but we don't know how much of the mission was declassified aside from what we know already.
    Last edited by Aurabolt; 2012-08-31 at 02:09 AM.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    Not really, the only thing binding them is whether what they're talking about is classified or not.

As soon as it is declassified, they can run around gabbing like a schoolgirl to every reporter they see with no need for approval from anyone.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19432601

Apparently this stuff wasnt meant to be leaked.

Don't care if it was a straight up assassination. I am thankful he is dead, for the seal team that pulled it off, as well as Obama for giving the go ahead for the mission to go on, even against nearly all of his advisors
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    If he was on the floor and part of the mission was to try and arrest him. Why was he shot again once he was down?
    Because he was shot 1-2 times in the head and was dying a pretty rough death so they put him down. So the options are to either drag the guy out while alive with part of his skull and brains falling out letting him languish for another minute or two before dying or to kill him then. It isn't like they shot him in the arm or something. He was already dying from the initial shots.

I don't really care if Osama was killed in his bedroom, outside of it, or in the kitchen. The man is dead, that is the only important detail. Everyone will have their own version of the event. People remember things differently.