Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by potaco View Post
    To be fair, most of the answers to this question are essentially "do everything" (explore, sPVP, WvWvW, craft, run instances, do Dynamic Events, etc).

    If you gave the same answer for WoW, you would have more content. There's only one "current" raid right now, but if you take that GW2 approach, there's really much more than that to do:
    The problem with taking the GW2 approach in WoW is that when you outgear/outlevel the content, it's not really engaging anymore. (Heck, some of the content is not even engaging even at the proper level, because it's way undertuned.) Interestingly enough, a lot of people still have been doing it, largely for lack of alternatives, I think.
    Last edited by Sylvanie; 2012-08-31 at 06:00 AM.

  2. #62
    Old God Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    10,518
    Everybody keeps saying that PvP is the only true endgame, but it's just not true, there's still a lot to do in the world, it doesn't disappear after 80.
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

  3. #63
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Raiders are one of the most active parts of the community, but they are not the largest part by far. As Drake mentioned, not even 10% of the WoW population raids seriously, and even when they implemented LFR, that number didn't jump a lot. Some people just don't like to raid period, and making it more accessible didn't turn more people onto it.

    As far as "end game players" why yes, pretty much everyone who is at cap level is considered as doing end game. But end game is NOT raiding. End game is defined as anything you can do at cap, which GW2 has a lot of.
    I don't think I said it was the largest, I said it was a big part! That is all, thank you very much.

    My whole point was that if they added raiding, it would only add to an already good game and bring even more people to the GW2 community.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyctattoo View Post
    ^ agreed, and no game has ever rewarded you so much for exploring, .
    Actually every game rewards you pretty much the same amount for exploring. For example in wow you may not get a lot of xp from discovering a new area but that new quest hub you discovered will lead you to new areas & you would find new places with secret vendors and if you explored an area enough you could find a lone quest that would lead onto an epic chain that could get you something nice. Of course people know Azeroth like the back of their hand now and that doesn't happen so much any more, but that is what new Xpacs with continents are for...
    Last edited by sajin0084; 2012-08-31 at 06:04 AM.

  5. #65
    Legendary! Digglett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    FC World
    Posts
    6,381
    Quote Originally Posted by sajin0084 View Post
    Actually every game rewards you pretty much the same amount for exploring. For example in wow you may not get a lot of xp from discovering a new area but that new quest hub you discovered will lead you to new areas & you would find new places with secret vendors and if you explored an area enough you could find a lone quest that would lead onto an epic chain that could get you something nice. Of course people know Azeroth like the back of their hand now and that doesn't happen so much any more, but that is what new Xpacs with continents are for...
    Heavily disagree, I felt no need to explore in WoW only for achievement and that was it, otherwise you just fly over everything on your flying mount with no care in the world. GW2 makes you actually want to explore.


  6. #66
    You want to explore because the game's just out for a week. You don't know where things are, stuffs are still new and you want to see what places look like. "Exploring" and crafting being the things you do at end game is just weak. Dynamic Events are basically quests, sure, it kinda is a new system but it won't last when you realize they aren't really that different.
    When I'm at the highest level in the game, I want to do meaningful things that "matter". I'm one of those people that enjoy the scenery in games ALOT but you can't just have exploring as endgame. Crafting even being considered is just beyond me. Sure people have different tastes but it just seems like they are saying things just to have a longer list.

  7. #67
    If you've done everything there is to do, close the game and go play something else until there is a content update. You aren't required to play every single day, no pressure.

  8. #68
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragenerdz View Post
    I don't think I said it was the largest, I said it was a big part! That is all, thank you very much.

    My whole point was that if they added raiding, it would only add to an already good game and bring even more people to the GW2 community.
    Don't get me wrong. I personally would love, say, 8 or 10 man instanced content, put on the same difficulty level as Expo dungeons...

    But I will never expect gear-centric progression, and I don't know how they could design that content without making it a crazy zerg.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-31 at 06:40 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  9. #69
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by sajin0084 View Post
    Actually every game rewards you pretty much the same amount for exploring. For example in wow you may not get a lot of xp from discovering a new area but that new quest hub you discovered will lead you to new areas & you would find new places with secret vendors and if you explored an area enough you could find a lone quest that would lead onto an epic chain that could get you something nice. Of course people know Azeroth like the back of their hand now and that doesn't happen so much any more, but that is what new Xpacs with continents are for...
    This is not really true anymore. While vanilla WoW had a fair amount of stuff off the beaten path, starting in Burning Crusade, Blizzard put in breadcrumb quests to almost anything that might be off interest. There are still a few hidden things, but for 99% of of the interesting content, you simply follow the yellow exclamation marks. And Cataclysm was really bad about it, with extremely linear quest chains in each zone.

    The remaining exceptions are largely rare hunter pets and rare mount drops, though I'm not sure if you can properly call "looking up the location on wowhead and camping it" exploration (with or without using NPCScan).

  10. #70
    As far as I can tell, in addition to dungeons, there will still be loads of exploration, jumping puzzles, events, crafting, etc. to be done even after level 80. I mean the world is gigantic.

    One may get bored in the long run, but in that case, you can try PvP, or take a break and try another game, or anything else you'd like to do. It's really up to the individual. Fortunately, there is no sub fee, so ...
    They know how to milk the cow.

  11. #71
    your level get adjusted to quest your doing so... heaps and heaps of stuff to do :P

    oh and get ALL the vistas XD
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=soulstrikes in oceanic now Lol

    5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

  12. #72
    Brewmaster Elite Peon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The American Empire of Obama
    Posts
    1,391
    They are going to have to add a WOW like end game of they want to keep customers ...period . SWTOR is suffering the fate of not having a challenging end game from the start . You people can say this is not wow all you want ...I agree and im happy about that but certain things are just expected at this point ...especially challenging end game content ....

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    They are going to have to add a WOW like end game of they want to keep customers ...period . SWTOR is suffering the fate of not having a challenging end game from the start . You people can say this is not wow all you want ...I agree and im happy about that but certain things are just expected at this point ...especially challenging end game content ....
    Star Wars was built with it in mind, and failed to deliver on them.

    Guild Wars 2 was built with the intention of leaving them out. It doesn't need a WoW-like endgame, or vertical character progression, to be meaningful or keep people playing (Guild Wars 1, seven years anyone?).

    That said, it is really sad just how many people in the demographic feel that "raiding = endgame, therefore endgame must = raiding".
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  14. #74
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    121
    Endgame resembles the design idea behind silithus in wow back in vanilla.

    SPOILER VIDEOS!!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBstU7EoUTY

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e34wDHEmHOE

    Anyway Enjoy, this endgame pve content will be worth doing, it is not just linedancing with fireworks.
    Well I WoW harcore PvE was something I did to get top items for PvP anyway... Yea I'm one of those -.- But im exicted about the GW2 PvE experience it seems less meaningless.

  15. #75
    One thing I don't understand here, people say WoW doesn't have anything to explore because I can just find it on WoW.

    Guild Wars 2 is new, but do you really expect that no such site will come within a year max? Where is your exploration then? Just look up on the internet how to get to that Vista, where this jumping puzzle is and where all Chests/Splendid Chests are hidden. A bit biased, eh?

    While I agree there is much to do because the game is new:
    - Crafting is now considered relevant content? Come on, that's just mindless farming or playing the AH to buy the necessary stuff.
    - Dungeons I can't do alone. They are there, but I can't do them alone, I have to find a group. Yeah, the same thing can be said about raiding in WoW, but WoW has more solo stuff, imo (once you have finished the questing experience).
    - Dynamic Events are dynamic. While extremely unrealistic, I can't just go out there and hope to find one that interests me. Maybe I run around an hour and come across 6 DEs. As said, unrealistic, but it could happen, and that is pretty sad.

    Not the best "contra" arguments, but something to maybe think about.
    Last edited by Marston; 2012-08-31 at 08:51 AM.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmad View Post
    I hit 80 after 66 hours, and barely have 39% map completion. then there is the legendary weapons for me to get. then there is the miniature pets to collect. then there is the achievements to get. then there's the dungeons in both modes to complete. then there's the armor and weapons from dungeon vendors to obtain, then there is the.. you know what.. there's too much to do!!!
    Well i get the drift, but pragmatic guys like me have a downside. We always need a motivation. Like yeah, i could go and complete that 61% uncompleted maps, but what do i gain?
    If all i gain is just cosmetic, i dont really feel motivated. If i gain something that makes my life easier for any of the other tasks i still have open, then i feel motivated.
    E.G. if exploring would get me better gear which then again would make my life easier in those heroic dungeons, then i´d be an explorer.

    Considering this, do you think i could like it?

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Star Wars was built with it in mind, and failed to deliver on them.

    Guild Wars 2 was built with the intention of leaving them out. It doesn't need a WoW-like endgame, or vertical character progression, to be meaningful or keep people playing (Guild Wars 1, seven years anyone?).

    That said, it is really sad just how many people in the demographic feel that "raiding = endgame, therefore endgame must = raiding".
    duh, they use raiding as an example for endgame content, the idea of endgame is all about vertical character progression as you yourself have already pointed out.

    As you level up your character's absolute power increases but so does the power of the enemies you face - the relative power increase is within very narrow limits and gets nullified once you enter the next zone.

    The PvE Endgame is special because your character's relative power starts to increase (in WoW it does even increase in an exponential way once you reached level-cap) - with each week you actually become more powerful compared to the NPCs you face and that feels very satisfying.

    PvP doesn't have an "endgame" in that sense as your enemies' power increases at roughly the same rate as yours. Even WoW pvp takes a break from "progression = better gear" at some point and gives you a ranking system, cosmetic gear that can be unlocked, achievements, ...

    I guess you could try to capture some of the pvp playstyle by emphasizing competitive PvE - having official rankings where continued activity is required to maintain your rank. But that would leave behind a lot of the more casually oriented players who just enjoy seeing their character grow in power.

    Guild Wars 2 seems to be based on the assumption that players care very much about character completion (as opposed to feeling powerful or being competitive) and I have some doubts regarding that assumption.

  18. #78
    Brewmaster Elite Peon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The American Empire of Obama
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Star Wars was built with it in mind, and failed to deliver on them.

    Guild Wars 2 was built with the intention of leaving them out. It doesn't need a WoW-like endgame, or vertical character progression, to be meaningful or keep people playing (Guild Wars 1, seven years anyone?).

    That said, it is really sad just how many people in the demographic feel that "raiding = endgame, therefore endgame must = raiding".
    Sorry Kelesti I disagree with you . It does have need a wow like end game IMO because to be honest wow has just as much to do at end game as GW2 does and people stop playing when they hit the a wall with challenging content in WOW . Yes Gw1 has been playing for 7 years ...so has Everquest 1 ..heck there are MUD mmo's that have been online almost 20 years but just because a game is still online does not make a it a success . Those games have paid for themselves because they where fairly cheap to make . GW2 is a massive game with a massive budget they need lots of people buy the game and buying stuff from the store to keep operating unlike those older games that who stay operating because they have a TINY dev team that keeps the pulse going .

    Name a single MMO that is or was successful that did not have raiding as the end game ???

  19. #79
    Are people basicly telling that when you hit 80 you need to and to "achievements" like exploring maps 100% and loremaster for doing events over and over again?
    Guess you just have to wait for more ppl to hit 80 and do the dungeons after that, its gameover.

  20. #80
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    370
    Yeah, more of the same at 80. Keep exploring, running dynamic events, WvW and racking up guild points. That's pretty much it.

    I would have liked to look forward to raiding but then RIFT is getting an expansion so I'll just play that for the raids

    If you wanted skill-based PvP, why didn't you start playing DotA?
    GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •