Glyph: Beacon of Light healing idea

So I've noticed some people are using the new beacon of light glyph after the patch. This healing idea came to me when I saw the new beacon, with no duration, mana cost, and only a 3 sec cd. I'll probably try it out when my addons are fixed or in MoP when health probably won't shoot back up as fast.

Glyph of Beacon of Light: Removes the global cooldown on Beacon of Light.

Remember using WoG/Holy Light/Holy Shock on your beacon target is a waste of the heal transfer effect and does not grant a holy power from Tower of Radiance. In addition, using your 3 AoE heals on the raid while the beacon target is at full health will also be wasteful overheal (no mastery shield for beacon heals).

My method is for example: if you plan to heal your beacon target with a WoG then a holy shock, first switch your beacon to another low health raid member, heal your target, and 50% of your healing will be transferred to your beacon target rather than just being wasted. Then switch your beacon back to its normal target. If your about to AoE heal spam, and your beacon target is at full health, switch it to the lowest raid member again.

Now I realize this would take some extremely fast switching to reap the entire benefit of the BoL glyph and is very complex. But hopefully there is an addon that could assist with this if we aren't able to look into this ourselves.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another use would be in pvp if you're just healing one target at a time, you can ALWAYS land your divine lights/flash of lights on the beacon for the extra HP. I'm loving the glyph and whole beacon idea as it is right now. Allows for some micromanaging.

Well I was thinking more along pve. But I did forget about that use. If you plan on spaming FoL, switch beacon to them first for free HP.

Deleted
    Well, patch is here for some time and finally somebody noticed.
    I can´t belive that Blizz did´t see this. With no mana cost, only 3 seconds cd and glyph, it even looks like we HAVE TO swicth targets, that we heal 2 ppl instead of 1 and possibly overheal tank. In 6 minutes fight we can switch about 120 times. In 10 minutes 200 times! Sounds crazy, but when you try it, holy gets another dimension.
    A lot of people are arguing about what are best stats for holy. I don´t need math to know that this super-switching school of holy paladins will mostly benefit from haste. At least if nothing changes.
    My personal stats weights looks like this: Spirit>Intellect>Haste>Mastery>Crit

Spirit is first because more casts = more mana is spent. You can reforge intelect, the only way are gems and enchants. Haste is main source of power.
    And mastery. If we heal and thus place shield on tank, which is going to take dmg instead of dps which should be not, then there will be no overhealing.

When you look at it, all what paladins did was healing others and overhealing beaconed tank. Now we can heal tank, have good use of mastery stacking shield on him and switch beacon on injured people.

That is win-win.

I'm wondering why many people haven't replied to this yet. Is it a good healing idea?

I wouldn't find it a viable healing tactic. You can't just rely on being a Beacon of Light bot to heal the raid. Yes, Beacon of Light overheals but it's still an accountable healing source by using it as we always were. You should also not forget that by doing what you're proposing, you'd waste gcds to switch BoL to whomever needs it and you're assuming that damage is predictable. We must be proactive with healing, even if ti means that we may overheal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedralixx View Post
    I wouldn't find it a viable healing tactic. You can't just rely on being a Beacon of Light bot to heal the raid. Yes, Beacon of Light overheals but it's still an accountable healing source by using it as we always were. You should also not forget that by doing what you're proposing, you'd waste gcds to switch BoL to whomever needs it and you're assuming that damage is predictable. We must be proactive with healing, even if ti means that we may overheal.
    I agree with your opinion that it would be too maintenancy and not worth it in thee long run, but they're talking about using the glyph that removes the gcd of Beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Elovan View Post
    I agree with your opinion that it would be too maintenancy and not worth it in thee long run, but they're talking about using the glyph that removes the gcd of Beacon.
    Yep. Brainfart there :P All in all, in my opinion it won't be a reliable option.

Deleted
    Tanks, specially in MoP heroic. Will take spike damage all the time anyway right? So might not be a point even switching untill late tier
    And lets be honest, if the tank is not taking any damage. Your 2nd healer will probably heal the same y- target that you just switched beacon to. So it will still be enough with just a holy light. If you have specific healing roll/target in the encounter then it might be of a use.

But I get your point guys. The best thing is to have your heal on the tank. To put up the master shield. And then having the raid taking the beacon heal. It's good idea. Lets hope it will get usefull in mop.
    Last edited by mmoc3d321477c2; 2012-09-01 at 09:11 PM.