Thread: New to Resto

  1. #1

    New to Resto

    So, I am new to the whole healing scene, and I am trying to get a better understanding on it. My biggest complaint is mana consearvation. I can blast out heals, but I always end up on top of the over heals, and I always end up with out mana once we get to the part of Imp where we have to focus on the two adds and tank him on the opposite side of the room. I would appreciate any suggests on my gear/spec everything.

    Armory does not work for me so his name is Paeddyn on Ravenholdt Horde.

    Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Dreadlord Karrotlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    On Melancholy Hill
    Posts
    957
    I can't say much since I haven't healed since Cata but on the overhealing...

    We are HoT based. They're very poor at healing huge damage because they're not fast enough. What they are good at is topping someone off after taking lower periodic damage. That means your targets will usually be near max health. Overhealing is an inevitability.

    If something tracks overkill damage you'd see DoT classes at the top of that too. That's just what happens with over-time spells. They keep going whether needed or not.

    If it matters, you can use Genesis and Rampant Growth to try and minimize it.

  3. #3
    His main issue is going oom not overhealing as such (even though both are pretty much interlinked) genesis and rampant growth will only make mana more of an issue, stick with germination (But only use it on tanks/fixated people/targets with debuffs etc) avoid using genesis where-ever possible (there are other healers better suited at providing bursty healing when needed).

    Good CD useage can save you a lot of mana over the course of a fight, if you can use them effectively early enough then go for it just aslong as they are back up for when you need them. Keeping lifebloom up can give you more clearcasting procs which help, can't armory your char for some reason.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    His main issue is going oom not overhealing as such (even though both are pretty much interlinked) genesis and rampant growth will only make mana more of an issue, stick with germination (But only use it on tanks/fixated people/targets with debuffs etc) avoid using genesis where-ever possible (there are other healers better suited at providing bursty healing when needed).

    Good CD useage can save you a lot of mana over the course of a fight, if you can use them effectively early enough then go for it just aslong as they are back up for when you need them. Keeping lifebloom up can give you more clearcasting procs which help, can't armory your char for some reason.
    This is spot on. Additonally, the mistake I usually see resto druids make is using too much Wild Growth. This spell shouldn't be used on CD, think of it as more of a burst healing tool. If a few people are low but you don't expect more damage any time soon, then it's often a better choice to just rejuv them instead of Wild Growth.

    Having said that, if you enjoy more aggressive healing style, you can try the DoC playstyle. It basically becomes your filler during low damage phases and allows you to dish out more Wild Growth due to all the saved mana. It is not suited for every fight, however.

  5. #5
    Personally I feel that Imperator P1 and P2 are kinda low on healing needed. Hots feel like they're overhealing most of the time and the mana is just wasted.
    You can go with DoC and just spam that + a couple of rejuvs mixed in. Keep LB up. Wildgrowth will eat your mana. If you go with ToL you can use it in the beginning of the fight and just blanket hot everything (without a huge mana cost). It will be ready again for intermission. This way you can go into first intermission with a decent chunk of mana left. HPS wise we can dish out a lot starting from that point. One correctly used tranq will allow for great throughput. Remember to use the channeling mana pot.

    Edit: Looking at your link... definitely get the spirit weapon enchant. It should help a ton. Obviously I don't know how you guys are doing during intermission. But once imperator comes back down, only one add should still be alive (and it should be close to dying).
    Last edited by Sylwaria; 2015-01-06 at 12:42 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylwaria View Post
    Personally I feel that Imperator P1 and P2 are kinda low on healing needed. Hots feel like they're overhealing most of the time and the mana is just wasted.
    You can go with DoC and just spam that + a couple of rejuvs mixed in. Keep LB up. Wildgrowth will eat your mana. If you go with ToL you can use it in the beginning of the fight and just blanket hot everything (without a huge mana cost). It will be ready again for intermission. This way you can go into first intermission with a decent chunk of mana left. HPS wise we can dish out a lot starting from that point. One correctly used tranq will allow for great throughput. Remember to use the channeling mana pot.
    In a rush guys, I'll respond when I get to the office; but here is my character from AskMrRobot
    h
    askmrrobot. com/wow/player/us/ravenholdt/paeddyn

  7. #7
    Dreadlord Karrotlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    On Melancholy Hill
    Posts
    957
    Of course overhealing will lead to mana issues. It's just wasted throughput. But like I said, I haven't healed in years. I know it went through a lot of changes with WoD, is it much of an issue? Or is it just teething pain and you get over it later?

  8. #8
    Phase 1 + 2 of Imp can be easily handled with DoC wrath spamming if you're having issues there. I heal when it's needed, otherwise since damage is so low in those phases, I primarily just wrath. That will give you more mana when the harder phases come into play. We're a HoT based class, and yes the goal is to heal everyone up, so you are going to overheal. Can't stop it, it happens. So long as you aren't HoTting up people who it will be completely wasted on, don't worry about it. Incarnation is a decent mana saver as well, as it reduces the cost of Rejuvs. Find good places to use it during the course of the fight. Find a portion of the fight that your other healers can handle HPS and you can sit down and make use of a Channeled Mana Potion. Just... pace yourself. It's not a competition, just do what it takes to kill the boss.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Karrotlord View Post
    Of course overhealing will lead to mana issues. It's just wasted throughput. But like I said, I haven't healed in years. I know it went through a lot of changes with WoD, is it much of an issue? Or is it just teething pain and you get over it later?
    Except you can't exactly stop your HoTs from ticking to save mana. It's just how druids work. Mana issues are about spell choice, not about overhealing. Rejuv and Lifebloom are two of our cheapest spells and they overheal a ton. It's not a "teething pain", it just requires you to be a little more careful, especially when adjusting after a "mana regen doesn't matter" tier like SoO.

  10. #10
    Gotta be smart with how you spend your mana.

    Many people will be saying : "dont use WG too much it's mana expensive. Rejuv is cheaper !" Well I disagree.
    There are tricks to manipulate WG. For instance, on Imp, I will always be on the ranged group, moving around the boss. Healing the raid is very straightforward : drop Shroom under people's feet, WG yourself when the Abom is up after a few seconds. LB the tank. 1 or 2 spot Rejuvs. That's all. For the whole fight.
    By doing this, I'm ensuring that WG will be targeting only the ranged group (the other Rdrood of my raid is doing the same for melees), and if you wait a few seconds after them Abom is up, you will not overheal. OoC procs will help top up low HP people (or tank healing).

    Basically, you have to reach the first transition with a full mana bar. It is absolutly doable, and necessary. Dont try to heal everyone to 100% Lets your AOE do the job, be patient. Let the other classes heal the tanks, they do it better. After the first transtion you may end up at 60/80% remaining mana, which would be fair since is harder to heal there (AOE, fixate, tank damage..). P3 is rough, you have to use the channeled mana pot as a Druid, and ToL is great too to save mana. You should be ending P3 at 40/60% mana at least. I actually managed to end up full mana a few times there, with very good DPS tho. 2nd transition is really tough. If you can manage to enter P4 with 20% mana at least you're good to go. P4 is mainly tank damage. If the raid takes too much damage it's because people dont handle the Dots / the Balls / the Nova as well as they should.

    Remember : Shroom always, put yourself in the middle of the ranged group and WG yourself when the whole raid is not full HP (and a few Rejuv here and there), LB on the tank.
    Last edited by Alianthos; 2015-01-07 at 10:45 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •