Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The funny thing is, yes GW2 was overhyped...but it wasn't overhyped by ArenaNet oddly enough. The fans did that all by themselves.

The other funny thing is reading the hate people are generating towards it. Are they afraid that their favorite game will lose subscribers or have members play GW2 more? Maybe. The best is people complaining about the lack of a gear treadmill and, for lack of a better word, mind-numbing grinding. Its like gamers have been conditioned to think that grinding is an essential component to a MMO.

I hope a new MMO come's and threatnes Blizzard, only then we might get a better wow.

What is this, Naruto/Star Wars?

"The cycle of hatred continues!"

10+ Year Old Account
    The more serious fans of any particular subject tend to get defensive when they perceive a threat to it. It's just natural for them.

Given your own extensive critique of certain other MMOs, this should be pretty obvious.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2012-08-31 at 08:38 PM.

Played both, played WoW for a very long time though i can admit it was never really for the game itself, only the people i played it with.
    Put the game down many times and never once missed it at all, there is no urge to login for me.
    Picked up Gw2, never played Gw1 and never researched into it, and the game is stunning - few little things to iron out (but it's new so duhh?)
    A lot of the complaints i see seem to be from people burnt out about the MMO genre in general, complaining about mediocre stuff. I do have a beast of a PC mind so i can enjoy the game fully, on ultra and run it perfectly so i appreciate it more.

There is absolutely no competition at all in my mind, none at all. Saying that they are both completely different games and offer different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    I hope a new MMO come's and threatnes Blizzard, only then we might get a better wow.

I dont think we gona see a better WoW I liked the game just like EQ back then but WoW is just getting old, hopefully I will find a replacement , I tried all big MMO and kinda disapointed. GW2 have some good point but some major flaw also.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    This how the 1st month of every new MMO goes... Some people might be afraid, but others might be honestly disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    And... Why would anyone give a fuck about that?
    Play your fav game, that's all, all this "I WANNA SEE TAHT GAME FAIL/WIN" is senseless, just as most bashers/fanatics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I see a lot of hate and bashing against Guild Wars 2, especially on these forums as of late. I can only speculate that it is because Guild Wars 2 just barely came out, and there has been, and continues to be a lot of hype surrounding the game. If you read any one of the many bashing threads against Guild Wars 2, you may notice a common thread among them like I found.

MMO players who play "their MMO game" are just plain fearful of the success of another company. They lash out to make themselves feel better about playing the game they always played. They are afraid of change.

Many, if not all the hate posts directed toward GW2 should be taken with a grain of salt. The game is by far, one of the most entertaining games ever created. Yes this is my opinion. But my sneaking suspicion of the haters is they havent even tried it and are just bashing it to try to scare people to keep people playing the game they play.

Also to any GW2 haters who try to derail this thread: Go pack salt.
    I think it is mainly due to the WoW hatred most of us receive anytime a new mmo comes out so it's us dishing back. Personally? I hope it does phenomenally well. Blizzard needs some stiff competition.
    For the night is dark and full of terrors

Deleted
    They just perma-banned over 5k people for buying items in a shop were prices was set too low. Why would anyone play a game where they treat you like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    I am not afraid of its success, I am excited of its potential downfall. It's fun to see an arrogant, overhyping community witness its wet dream crumble into dust.
    A lot of people feel the same way about Mists of Pandaria.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not afraid of it's success, in fact I hope them well, that way other companies might shape up a little and push out better contents, in a faster pace.

Although myself I wouldn't play it, I am more into the getting better gear, and rub it into people's face sort of player (hence the reason I am slowly off WoW as well), I am those that people generally hate that prefer things stay hard, if people cannot clear those content, too bad for them, so yeah, GW2 definitely won't be my cup of tea due to these reasons, as they aim against casuals, so I am not bashing your game, just it isn't my cup of tea.

Please don't lose sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    They just perma-banned over 5k people for buying items in a shop were prices was set too low. Why would anyone play a game where they treat you like that?
    No, they didn't.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

I don't really understand the "fearful" thing, what are people supposed to be afraid of?

It may have a TINY little bit something to do with the overly snobby and sheepish attitude of many GW2 enthusiasts. I've seen all the MMO hypes come and go, but the GW2 people are somehow especially annoying.

It's because their mantra differs from that of the fanboys of previous MMOs. It's this greasy high horse attitude, this whole "sophisticated bunch" acting up. They're like the "think different" Apple dweebs of online gaming. They tend to talk up their game to something of messianic, nothing short of revolutionary and wondrous proportions - which is, while GW2 certainly is a good game, complete nonsense.

What makes it worse is that they will occasionally proclaim anyone who didn't buy into the hype, especially WoW players, as undemanding, gullible, stupid, stick-in-the-mud morons who prefer shallow and simplistic low-quality entertainment and are missing out on the future. Someone who hasn't been blessed with enlightenment, basically. That's what I'm noticing latently. This kind of snobby attitude of course fuels resentment.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2012-08-31 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo

What are you saying? I root for GW2 and hope it will be successfull! And I'm an avid WoW player.

I plan to sometime play a second MMO, in the times where WoW gets a little boring. Time constraint don´t really allow that tough, and I really don´t see it getting better any time soon, but anyway... GW2 is a huge contender for that spot. Others I considered playing being Rift and SWTOR.

And even if I never play any other game, competition is good. Look at the fine job Blizzard did on MoP out of fear of losing subs, but also fear of losing to the competition, with Rift launching in a period of fragile WoW health and the expectation of a huge juggernaut coming in the figure of SWTOR (which didn´t live to the expectations, but sill...)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    A lot of people feel the same way about Mists of Pandaria.
    On the contrary. MoP was anything but overhyped. And yet again, people mentioning WoW. Really, do you think I care? The game was great, but like any game, it got old.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2012-08-31 at 08:54 PM.

I think there are great things about it, GW2 has my attention for now, I enjoy the combat. I think how professions work are actually quite a lot of fun and very interesting. So far, at 46, I'm enjoying the story.

I don't care for how broken the world is, I don't mean buggy, I mean loading screen's every time you enter a new zone. The camera is just beyond useless. Controls can seem a little sluggish at times, many talents are just useless or feel very very weak for costing so much.

That's my grain of salt. Every game has both negatives and positives, I will never understand why so many people need to be so fucking blind to such things. Complaining about certain aspects of a game does not mean you hate it, nor is worshiping it doing any good either. Realizing its about balance and as long as your having fun, why does anyone else's opinion even begin too matter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    You didn't even knew the case well, stop claiming bullshit please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only stupid people.

I think a video taugrimm posted sums it up pretty well. some gamers see the competition like this

MMO > MMO > MMO > MMO > MMO

when they should see it like this

MMO + MMO + MMO + MMO = profit

But the people inecessantly whining and complaining about the game for ridiculous reasons are not the only stupid people. When you post on a message board in these topics long enough, you will notice the fanboys (mindless tools) who back anything their game's company does and will immediately jump to paint a critic as a hater, assuming they just want the game to be bad, and not better.

I was skeptical of GW2 (I played GW1 and hated it. Instanced everything, ect)

But I decided to give it a shot anyway. At first it was very boring, but once I got out of the generic mindset of "Grind to level" and started to actually explore the zones and visit other races zones, it has become pretty entertaining. I'm not the type of gamer that cares about the "beauty" of the world or anything like that (I skip every vista cinematic) but its atleast a refreshing and new way for me to play MMOs.

PvP might be more fun in organized play, but RvRvR is just a big zerg fest like I know it would be, so I didn't really have my hopes up for that.

The only thing I'm concerned about for this game is, how entertaining is it going to be at 80? and for how long?

I'm a huge pvper, but I need something other than pvp to keep my interest (I'd rather play LoL or FPS for pvp).