Wait for a computer sale, or just buy one now?

Last year, during ibuypower's labor day sale, my sister got a Cooler Master HAF, an i5-2500K CPU, a 750 watt Thermaltake PSU, an nvidia GTX 560, and a 27" Scepter LCD for $1,100 . So obviously a pretty great deal. I've been waiting for this years sale in hopes of getting a similar deal. After looking at this year's "Sale"... Yeah, I'm gonna pass.

Where should I be looking to get the best value on a new computer? Some people at work told me cyber monday has the best deals of the year. Is it really worth it to wait? I don't feel like torturing myself on this clapped out Dell laptop any longer.

Here's the sub $900 build I came up with on newegg. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=24924287

Could I do a lot better, either right now or later, or should I just order this build now?
    Last edited by Typography; 2012-08-31 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Typography View Post
    Last year, during ibuypower's labor day sale, my sister got a Cooler Master HAF, an i5-2500K CPU, a 750 watt Thermaltake PSU, an nvidia GTX 560, and a 27" Scepter LCD for $1,100 . So obviously a pretty great deal. I've been waiting for this years sale in hopes of getting a similar deal. This year you get "free stuff" like g skill branded RAM instead of generic. And a "Free" GTX 680 3GB upgrade (when you buy a full price GTX 680 2GB). Yeah, I'm gonna pass.

Where should I be looking to get the best value on a new computer? Some people at work told me cyber monday has the best deals of the year. Is it really worth it to wait? I don't feel like torturing myself on this clapped out Dell XPS laptop any longer, but I'm also poor and can't afford to just outright buy a nice computer.

Here's the sub $900 build I came up with on newegg. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=24924287

Could I do a lot better, either right now or later, or should I just order this build now?
    Black Friday and Cyber Monday are incredible times to buy a computer. I usually purchase componenets every year.

If you can wait two months, here's what I do:

Write down a list of components that you want (brand, specs, model, etc.). Also write down their current prices and indicate any rebates or coupon offers. Periodically check your list and search for deal history on the internet.

Ive gotten components for as much as 75% off and built machines for 50% of their normal retail cost.

Hmm, if that's the case then I guess I probably should wait it out. I've never been any good at fighting temptation though. Having the new expansion around the corner doesn't help either

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fight the temptation and wait it out. Jmt is spot on with the time frame. As long as you are actively tracking prices, you'll be able to identify a reasonable price for the items you want. This takes about 2 months. Once the holiday sales arrive, you'll be able to identify the best ones.

Of course, keeping up with business news can help, too. If you see anything that might affect supply, make your move. I was able to pick up 2 Samsung 1TB spinpoint hard drives for 50 bucks apiece right as Malaysia was being flooded. They didn't come close to that price for almost a year afterwards.

*Just a note for anyone that might read this, since I mentioned the Malaysian floods. If you're waiting on supply to pick up after a tragedy, don't just twiddle your thumbs waiting. There are plenty of ways to donate time or money. Every little bit helps victims and businesses get back to a normal life. Isaac was less than anticipated, but it will still be felt for a while throughout the US, raising prices on food and anything produced in the region.