Thread: Hackers

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Why are there so many people who get "hacked" who have the absolute top of the line security and just reformatted their HD?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdatik View Post
    Why are there so many people who get "hacked" who have the absolute top of the line security and just reformatted their HD?
    Because everybody who got hacked just reformatted their HD and has top of the line security.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Because everybody who got hacked just reformatted their HD and has top of the line security.
    Well I literally did just reformat due to a crash. The fact is they are covering up a lot of things I posted on their facebook page and got about 20 responses saying they were hacked literally in 10 minutes. They fucked up not us. They did stop defending the company when they are in the wrong. I made this thread to warn people to be careful not to argue with you about if it was my fault or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    Well I literally did just reformat due to a crash. The fact is they are covering up a lot of things I posted on their facebook page and got about 20 responses saying they were hacked literally in 10 minutes. They fucked up not us. They did stop defending the company when they are in the wrong. I made this thread to warn people to be careful not to argue with you about if it was my fault or not.
    Hundreds of people make the exact same claim (down to reformating and "infallible" security) for every major MMO release for the past several years. You know what most (if not all) of them have in common? User error.

Deleted
    Seems like a typical phishing attack. Nothing new here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdatik View Post
    Hundreds of people make the exact same claim (down to reformating and "infallible" security) for every major MMO release for the past several years. You know what most (if not all) of them have in common? User error.
    Well I honestly don't care what you believe but I did what I said.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Menedude View Post
    FYI I just got both those emails as well : the first one says "click link to confirm new email" and the second says "the email for your guild wars account has been changed"

There's only one tiny problem with this... I don't have a guild wars account.
    I had one of these too, except with my hotmail account which isn't registered to my Guild wars account.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only way they are going to get your account is if they have your login for GW2 and your login details for your email. Even if they login to one they can't do poop without the other.

Having the same password for both (which I'm sure more than a few people do) and/or having a simple password makes you a prime target.

Doing a clean install might not do much of anything if they've already gathered your information previously and were just waiting till the game launched to take advantage of it. Also, if they have access to your email they'll get in there, authorize the use of the game under the different IP address, and then completely erase the email so you never see the request from ArenaNet.

I really hope ANet starts IP blocking. Obviously a hundred accounts to one IP address over and over again is suspect.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-08-31 at 11:23 PM.

wow that sucks i hate hackers

Quote Originally Posted by Heallygood View Post
    I had one of these too, except with my hotmail account which isn't registered to my Guild wars account.
    Me to! My hotmail I use for forums, gmail for game accounts/personal business. I think I created an account for a beta opt in on my hotmail, the email change emails were 100% legit and not a phish.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Yes. Very much so. Just because it's a password you haven't used elsewhere, doesn't mean they can't snatch the password, nor is any virus/spyware scanner flawless in finding keyloggers. It's even possible you installed one without realizing it was attached to something else.
    You're stating things with a but more certainty than you can really have. Myself and a friend have received e-mails from ArenaNet about our e-mails being changed. Pretty odd, since I have logged into my guild wars account a grand total of zero times since signing up for beta a long long long time ago. I don't even know what my password was. Seems like anyone able to snatch my password would've changed my D3/WoW account, or steam account, or any of dozens of other accounts by now. Something weird is going on.

Yes, a lot of the time people being hacked have screwed up. Don't assume that's the only way things can happen though. Sometimes things get compromised.

Edit: and I do have 2 step authentication on my e-mail. I've also verified that no other IP has connected to the e-mail. And yet I still have an e-mail titled "The e-mail address for your Guild Wars account has been changed" that came after a "request."
    Last edited by Cactrot; 2012-09-01 at 06:52 AM.

anet forgot to add an authenticator option for their costumer's accounts?

Deleted
    For real never click a link in a mail where it say's your password has been changed or you've been suspected for botting or whatever !! allways go directly to the website ( type it in the bar , cause if you do it on google 70% chance that you come on fraude website that looks 100% the same , but just sends keylogger to your pc) , i get around 20 mails a day saying like Aion notice , wow notice , rift notice , diablo3 notice etc... , oh oh guess what !! I don't even play these games -.-

Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    For real never click a link in a mail where it say's your password has been changed or you've been suspected for botting or whatever !! allways go directly to the website ( type it in the bar , cause if you do it on google 70% chance that you come on fraude website that looks 100% the same , but just sends keylogger to your pc) , i get around 20 mails a day saying like Aion notice , wow notice , rift notice , diablo3 notice etc... , oh oh guess what !! I don't even play these games -.-
    Good advice, but for reference these e-mails' links do go to the actual guildwars2.com. Gmail also isn't flagging it as "possibly not from who it says it's from." It was sent and signed by guildwars2.com. These appear to be legit e-mails sent by guildwars2.com.
    Last edited by Cactrot; 2012-09-01 at 07:05 AM. Reason: apostrophe in the wrong spot.

Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    Problem with that is my email was changed and I couldn't log into game and then I went to my emails and saw I had a email from them. So I was hacked and then a fake email was sent to me right as I was hacked literally within 2 minutes. I made a support ticked on their site but tbh its kind of a shitty support site anyways so I doubt I will get my account back within a week or two.

I can say I didnt format hardrives or anything neither did I click any links on the emails I was sent. They had my email from another site wow, mmo-champion or whatever. They needed to only gained the password which was 10+ digits and random generated letters/numbers. Which they managed to find out and changed my email and I lost my account.

I know 1 thing though is I have created a new email with the 2 step verification gmail offers, I have made a new password which I am memorising in wait of Arenanet giving me back my account as I have everything they need to know I am the rightful owner. I will change the email to the new 1 and verfy it through their stuff. Finally I plan to delete the effected email address to just be rid of it once this is sorted.

End of it all though is the steps I have and plan to take enough to secure myself from future theft?
    Last edited by niblic3rd; 2012-09-01 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by niblic3rd View Post
    I can say I didnt format hardrives or anything neither did I click any links on the emails I was sent. They had my email from another site wow, mmo-champion or whatever. They needed to only gained the password which was 10+ digits and random generated letters/numbers. Which they managed to find out and changed my email and I lost my account.

I know 1 thing though is I have created a new email with the 2 step verification gmail offers, I have made a new password which I am memorising in wait of Arenanet giving me back my account as I have everything they need to know I am the rightful owner. I will change the email to the new 1 and verfy it through their stuff. Finally I plan to delete the effected email address to just be rid of it once this is sorted.

End of it all though is the steps I have and plan to take enough to secure myself from future theft?
    Idk I didn't have the two step verification but I did have a completely new email address how do I do the tw0 step one? But that should be enough hopefully. I hope arenanet finds a manufacturer soon enough for their authenticators or make an Iphone app.

I played on beta weekend and did not like the game and i did not buy it. Now i have gotten those mails "someone regusted password change(hopefully you)..." and few days ago i got "email changed..." I believe this all was legit mails from arenanet since my account is gone. I did not click any of the links ofc.

Looks like arenanet has serious security failure and this is definetly not customers fault.
    Last edited by Demec; 2012-09-01 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    Idk I didn't have the two step verification but I did have a completely new email address how do I do the tw0 step one? But that should be enough hopefully. I hope arenanet finds a manufacturer soon enough for their authenticators or make an Iphone app.
    gmail offers it as standard to their email addresses. It allows you to use you cell/mobile phone as a authenticator. If some1 tries to log onto your email from a none trusted source even if they know ur password they still need the 6 digit code that the 2 step sends to your cell/mobile.

The email address i have been using isnt gmail and doesnt have this protection. But I am not sure they gained access to my email to get my account instead used some sort of code or something to trick the arenanet system to send the auth email about changing email addresses to their destination instead of my email.

Quote Originally Posted by niblic3rd View Post
    gmail offers it as standard to their email addresses. It allows you to use you cell/mobile phone as a authenticator. If some1 tries to log onto your email from a none trusted source even if they know ur password they still need the 6 digit code that the 2 step sends to your cell/mobile.

The email address i have been using isnt gmail and doesnt have this protection. But I am not sure they gained access to my email to get my account instead used some sort of code or something to trick the arenanet system to send the auth email about changing email addresses to their destination instead of my email.
    Yea I mean with over 10k+ accounts being hacked I don't think that 10000 people fucked up. There must have been some sort of breach of security or something they are not disclosing. They targeted 6 of my friends that are all level 80 including myself. We all had an accumulative wealth of over 250 gold from flipping on the Trading post for about 10 hours when it was up. It seems the gold sellers know who to target and are targeting the wealthy players. I received an in game mail from a gold seller moments before I was hacked and got disconnected from the game.
    Last edited by Zaerick; 2012-09-01 at 07:07 PM.