Guild Wars 2 Cost of Production

How much did guild wars 2 actually cost to make in total?

Does anyone know?

Please don't just post arbitrary numbers at least give a credible source for your numbers.

You know it's going to be significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    You know it's going to be significant.
    How significant though?

A gut feeling says its well below swtor numbers.

well i dont know but somewhere i read that they already made their initial investment back from the prepurchases and pre-orders so i assume around 60-70 million since the game is rumored to have sold over 1 million copies

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    How significant though?

A gut feeling says its well below swtor numbers.
    I, too, have a feeling it's below SWTOR numbers, probably because SWTOR has the words 'Bioware' and 'Star Wars' on the front.
    "Do you know what it's like to fall on the floor, cry your guts out til you got no more? Hey man, now you're really livin'" - Mark Everett

Crucilus Bloodbane - Level 80 Charr Necromancer - Zebra lord of the bank alts
    Esaari - Level 80 Asura Elementalist

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    I, too, have a feeling it's below SWTOR numbers, probably because SWTOR has the words 'Bioware' and 'Star Wars' on the front.
    well TOR sold like 2.5 or 3 million so its a large number to surpass

but it did cost around the 100-150 million area so again even thought theu sold more they did need more to recoup the investment.
    Last edited by antonatsis; 2012-09-01 at 03:56 AM.

It's well below SWTOR for a number of reasons .

1: Star wars had multiple movie quality cinematics which in themselves would have be a huge part of the budget .
    2: They had much much more advertising including Television and a massive couple of events in multiple cities .
    3: SWTOR used a whole other seperate company to build the game engine so that cost was higher then it probebly would have been to develop it in house .
    4: Every quest in starwars as an animated cute scene with full voice over.....so tons more animation and voice work then in GW2

I personally love SWTOR I would be playing that but it makes my old computer over heat....which is really sad since GW2 does just fine and has much better graphics . SWTOR has a bad game engine ..LOL

Btw you need to count the countless ads swtor did when Gw2 has practically nothing

I remember a number of 15 million dollars being bounced around for initial investment, but with marketing and the rest of the costs that's probably a small fraction.
    "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying."

Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by antonatsis View Post
    well TOR sold like 2.5 or 3 million so its a large number to surpass

but it did cost around the 100-150 million area so again even thought they sold more they did need more to recoup the investment.
    Well the game had over 1 million pre purchases and 400k concurrent users during the headstart, before the official release. swtor didn't have that many concurrent users even after official release.

I have a feeling if you add in the retail sales for the official release the games surpassed swtor. But that part of my post is just speculation, i don't really know how many retail copies they have sold since the official release.

I'm going to add in my source so you know where I'm getting this information from.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ws-and-patches

"One million people bought the game before release (pre-purchase), and over 400,000 have been playing at the same time. (Side note: Star Wars: The Old Republic had 350,000 concurrent players around launch) Presumably, those numbers are going up. "Yeah," agreed Mike O'Brien. "Yes they are. They're going up a lot.""
    Last edited by Keldrath; 2012-09-01 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HavaanSoup View Post
    I remember a number of 15 million dollars being bounced around for initial investment, but with marketing and the rest of the costs that's probably a small fraction.
    So if the $15 million is to be believed as the I.O. Then the sale of 1 million copies at $50-60 per game covered that. But what about marketing, salaries, operating costs, etc?

It's unlikely that gw2 was a cheap project, i.e less than $50 million in total. Although I have no numbers to substantiate my claim.