Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

MMO Gamers Fearful of Guild Wars 2 Success?

I see a lot of hate and bashing against Guild Wars 2, especially on these forums as of late. I can only speculate that it is because Guild Wars 2 just barely came out, and there has been, and continues to be a lot of hype surrounding the game. If you read any one of the many bashing threads against Guild Wars 2, you may notice a common thread among them like I found.

MMO players who play "their MMO game" are just plain fearful of the success of another company. They lash out to make themselves feel better about playing the game they always played. They are afraid of change.

Many, if not all the hate posts directed toward GW2 should be taken with a grain of salt. The game is by far, one of the most entertaining games ever created. Yes this is my opinion. But my sneaking suspicion of the haters is they havent even tried it and are just bashing it to try to scare people to keep people playing the game they play.

Also to any GW2 haters who try to derail this thread: Go pack salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fear is a part of the complaining but some of it is justifiable. Of course you have plenty that just want attention too.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Its been this way for quite a while with MMO's. People that believe gw2 would not threaten other mmo's because of the B2P model are wrong, MMO's are such time sinks that players will gravitate to one mmo only. gw2 may change that to some degree, but its still primarily a single mmo-market style, and thats what stems such rivalry between them all.

Unfortunately many GW2 players can be just as bad at bashing other mmo's as other mmo players are at bashing gw2.
    Last edited by mmoc3f9c23ccd2; 2012-08-31 at 08:01 PM.

Where have you been?

Was like this for Warhammer.
    Was like this for Aion.
    Was like this for Rift.
    Was like this for SWTOR.
    Was like this for TERA.
    The cycle repeats for GW2.
    And it will repeat itself again, for Elder Scrolls Online, and whatever else comes...

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Hmm MMO gamers afraid of an MMO's success, yea that makes a whole lotta sense, i asume this is aimed at WoW players in general?.

Speaking as someone who doesnt like F2P games in general, i just really dont think GW2 will be as successful as GW2 fans make it out to be, but i wish them all the best.

And scaring people into playing their game? really? who the hell would do that lol, ALL games have people who hate them and theres nothing you or I can do the change that, so learn to live with it like most mature players do.

To be fair, there are GW2 fans who are purposely going around and hating on WoW's success as well, they hate that it still exists. The cycle will never end. :P
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Most of it is just people repeating things they heard other people say... But it's funny when they say "I'm not gonna play GW2, for whatever reason" most if not all the servers are at high pop or full. How arrogant do you have to be to believe that anyone cares if your going to play or not..

And the people who are all "ZOMG GW2 SUCKS" and then your all "well I think it's pretty fun when I'm playing it" and they are all "have t played it but no your wrong it sucks"

Oh well I only do the forums thing while I'm at work and it's slow. Other than that I'm either doing something real life (gym, painting, gf stuff) or I'm actually playing the game having fun..

Deleted
    I am not afraid of its success, I am excited of its potential downfall. It's fun to see an arrogant, overhyping community witness its wet dream crumble into dust.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2012-08-31 at 08:03 PM.

Nothing new, forums are filled with ppl who are bored or just need attention. I storngly believe that a huge majority of GW2 players are typical casuals who are not even reading forums, they are very busy with their lives but they also veeery enjoy GW2 and invest some part of their free time to play it.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2012-08-31 at 08:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamorak View Post
    Hmm MMO gamers afraid of an MMO's success, yea that makes a whole lotta sense, i asume this is aimed at WoW players in general?.

Speaking as someone who doesnt like F2P games in general, i just really dont think GW2 will be as successful as GW2 fans make it out to be, but i wish them all the best.

And scaring people into playing their game? really? who the hell would do that lol, ALL games have people who hate them and theres nothing you or I can do the change that, so learn to live with it like most mature players do.
    Who is the source of most if not all of the GW2 hate and bashing? I'm not saying any one fan of any one MMO is to blame, all im saying is that its out there. And I honestly believe that people are so hooked on their game, and so fearful of another game trumping theirs, they go out of their way to defend theirs and bash any new MMO that comes out.

GW2 is the most aesthetically beautiful MMO I have ever seen. SWTOR has its beauty and luster in the Sci-Fi scene, but as far as fantasy old world, swords and shields MMOs go, GW2 cant be argued against. As far as the combat system: Its genius. Its simple easy to learn, hard to master. There is so many things to do, and yet, people will still find some sort of fault in the game to bash it, WITHOUT EVEN TRYING IT.

The game is $60 bucks. You spend more than $60 at the bar in one night. Simple concept.

I'm one of the people who have chosen the pat of apathy. Others should try it out.

I think you mean go pound salt...

Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    To be fair, there are GW2 fans who are purposely going around and hating on WoW's success as well, they hate that it still exists. The cycle will never end. :P
    With the exception of a few trolls, most of the people doing that are wow players trying to incite rage against the game. Most of the people I know playing GW2 are all "wow who?" and the only people allowed to post of the wow forums are people who have wow subscriptions, I like most people, canceled mine the day the head start came out and haven't looked back..

10+ Year Old Account
    As a rule the internet community has a big mouth, no matter how many people disagree or stay silent, there will always be a few dozen people that will be unreasonably loud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyctattoo View Post
    With the exception of a few trolls, most of the people doing that are wow players trying to incite rage against the game. Most of the people I know playing GW2 are all "wow who?" and the only people allowed to post of the wow forums are people who have wow subscriptions, I like most people, canceled mine the day the head start came out and haven't looked back..
    ...Ha. Hahaha. Hahahaahahaahaha

Sorry for spamming but that was funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    I am not afraid of its success, I am excited of its potential downfall. It's fun to see an arrogant, overhyping community witness its wet dream crumble into dust.
    Why would you be excited for its "potential downfall" at all? If you are a gamer, why wouldnt you laud the success of another game? New fun games are always exciting and strengthens the gaming community in general. This is really a piss poor attitude of a typical hater.

No memes please. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-08-31 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Newsflash, there are arrogant people in every single gaming community that ever existed and will exist in the future. You might as well wish for gaming in general to crash and burn. Why you would want people to be unhappy though, is beyond me. That's not very cool. Not everybody is like that.

OT: I'm sure there are some people who feel that way, but people are just hateful creatures in general and it's been like this with any MMO to come out.

GW2 is significantly overhyped. Nearly ever big production MMO is.

Does that make it bad? No. But it's quite insulting for people to go praising it so highly when it's got plenty of it's own shortcomings too.
    It's called Bloodlust not Heroism.
    I used to be a good player once. Now I'm a casual

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I see a lot of hate and bashing against Guild Wars 2, especially on these forums as of late. I can only speculate that it is because Guild Wars 2 just barely came out, and there has been, and continues to be a lot of hype surrounding the game. If you read any one of the many bashing threads against Guild Wars 2, you may notice a common thread among them like I found.

MMO players who play "their MMO game" are just plain fearful of the success of another company. They lash out to make themselves feel better about playing the game they always played. They are afraid of change.

Many, if not all the hate posts directed toward GW2 should be taken with a grain of salt. The game is by far, one of the most entertaining games ever created. Yes this is my opinion. But my sneaking suspicion of the haters is they havent even tried it and are just bashing it to try to scare people to keep people playing the game they play.

Also to any GW2 haters who try to derail this thread: Go pack salt.
    It's perfectly reasonable that a player may enjoy an MMO that focuses more on the things GW2 does not, ie. raiding or gear progression. GW2 uses a reward system focused primarily on cosmetics, and this may be a large turn off to many.

Nothing wrong with that, and you sound just as bad as anyone else when you're so frightened that other players may not like the game and happen to voice their displeasure.

No one is afraid of the success of Anet, afraid of change, or any other hilariously hyperbolic garbage you're spewing in this sensationalist post. Chill out, it's an online PC video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    GW2 is the most aesthetically beautiful MMO I have ever seen. SWTOR has its beauty and luster in the Sci-Fi scene, but as far as fantasy old world, swords and shields MMOs go, GW2 cant be argued against.
    Many would argue that TERA is better graphically as well as artistically. My vote actually goes to FFXIV, but the point is that it's very easy to argue against GW2 being the most "aesthetically beautiful" fantasy MMO.