Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Haven't played guildwars since the original game now I get this?

1. Someone -hopefully you!- has requested to change the email address associated with your Guild Wars account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team

2. Your e-mail address has been changed. Please remember to use this new address the next time you log in to your account.

To confirm this change, please click on the link below.

https://account.guildwars2.com/verif...2-B542ED5B37B0

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team

I haven't bothered to do anything about it because I can't remember the details to the account myself apart from my email address, the login screen to the guild wars site that I can find requests, username: password and character name.

Any ideas?

If you click the links and accept or whatever , I'm pretty sure you just gave permission for someone else to log on.
    Last edited by Injinjpow; 2012-09-01 at 06:41 AM.

I got it too, so either its a scam, or theres a rash of account thefts im just curious if my credit card is hooked up to my account - i hope not.

Dunno what's up with that, but I just got one too. I didn't even play guild wars 1. I think I was signed up to try the GW2 beta though. I have a friend that also got it. Comromised or accidentally sending it to everyone? Something's definitely screwy, just don't know what yet.

I got a few spam emails about my GW2 account and Ive never played Guild Wars. I think its the same people who try to get me to tell them my WoW account info and they are just phishing GW2 now to get that info and maybe try it out on your Bnet.

Seems like a lot of people have been getting those emails. I got one myself and don't even have a GW2 account and my GW1 account I couldn't careless about. If you're worried about it I'd toss them an email or maybe call their support number and see whats up.

I got some of those too, I just figured it was someone trying account names to make dummy accounts for gold farming bots. I had yet to decide if I was going to purchase GW2, but when I did I promptly changed my password to something more complicated.

But more to your point, if you ignore it nothing will change for the account.

Quote Originally Posted by agli View Post
    1. Someone -hopefully you!- has requested to change the email address associated with your Guild Wars account.

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team

2. Your e-mail address has been changed. Please remember to use this new address the next time you log in to your account.

To confirm this change, please click on the link below.

https://account.guildwars2.com/verif...2-B542ED5B37B0

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team

I haven't bothered to do anything about it because I can't remember the details to the account myself apart from my email address, the login screen to the guild wars site that I can find requests, username: password and character name.

Any ideas?
    Phishing attempt? when you hovered over the links did the links actually go to Anets sight or was it not going to where it "says" is was?

definitely fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Korialstrazs View Post
    definitely fishing
    Not phishing.

Sent by, and signed by guildwars2.com. Goes to actual guildwars2.com site.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot View Post
    Not phishing.

Sent by, and signed by guildwars2.com. Goes to actual guildwars2.com site.
    STill is, in this case what the scamer is trying to do is issue a false email/password reset. What this does is cause Anet to send an official email asking you to authorize the change to the account the same as if you'd issued the request. If you click the link the phisher wins because you just let them change the email on your account to one of their own chooseing and can then have already succeeded in stealing the account.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    I got this one too, I currently have no connections to GW2 other than signing up for beta months, months back.

What I wonder is, in order to change my email they had to get into my account first, no? So they have my password? Anyway they couldn't have gotten it from me because protection on my side is rock solid (years of never being hacked/breached/etc, incl WoW acc without an authenticator for 6 years as evidence). And the password is 12 digit mess of several types of symbols, numbers and letters.

I obviously didn't click the link but it does lead to the official website so this is a legit email change...
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2012-09-01 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    STill is, in this case what the scamer is trying to do is issue a false email/password reset. What this does is cause Anet to send an official email asking you to authorize the change to the account the same as if you'd issued the request. If you click the link the phisher wins because you just let them change the email on your account to one of their own chooseing and can then have already succeeded in stealing the account.
    Except that without me clicking the link there was also a confirmation of the e-mail change sent. Once again, this is not regular phishing. Hell, even if I clicked the link, presumably I would then be asked to pick my new e-mail address, which does them no good. Unless their system is stupid and asks for the new e-mail address, then confirms, and doesn't show/double check/let you change at confirmation time. Which it could be, dumber things have happened.

Based on the earlier password reset spam, which led to password resets being disabled, it seems like they've figured out how to get some of the confirmation links without actually checking the e-mails. Now they're resetting e-mail addresses, possibly to compromise later.

Key point though, this is a legit e-mail that comes from guildwars2, and the reset is being confirmed without access to the email account (I have 2 step authentication and no other IP has logged into the account.)

Got the same e-mails, confused the hell out of me, played GW1 back at launch and might have signed up for GW2 beta, I can't remember. Either way I've tried to login to GW2 site with my e-mail and my usual passwords but to no avail, perhaps I never signed up in the 1st place...

I did click the link thinking 'fook it' got nothing to lose, since the source code and destination were obviously legimate, upon clicking the link it said the link had expired.

What ultimately scared me was the fact that it sort of looks like the person doing this had access to my e-mail in order to actually accept the e-mail transfer, but after further investigation I can't see that any intrusion had been done to my actual e-mail account. Either a screw up by ArenaNet or some elaborate hax to their database.

I wonder if any actual GW2 players were affected by this, and actually had their e-mails changed.

Not phishing.
    It's authentic, but definitely spam. I personally never signed up, nor would sign up, for anything GW2-related as I hate MMOs (ironic, huh?) but I got these as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Not phishing.
    It's authentic, but definitely spam. I personally never signed up, nor would sign up, for anything GW2-related as I hate MMOs (ironic, huh?) but I got these as well.
    Lol. How did you manage to become a moderator on an MMO site if you hate MMOs? Did you used to like them?

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Lol. How did you manage to become a moderator on an MMO site if you hate MMOs? Did you used to like them?
    I liked Warcraft, and I had to suffer through the World of- part. :P

Yep. Ive had two requests to change my password over the past few days.

It prompted me to beef up the security of the webmail I use.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Received this today. Originated from guildwars2.com (legit) but I have never had an account in the first place.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to post this URL in public.
    Last edited by ponens; 2012-09-01 at 08:54 AM.

Dude, did you post the actual verification link from your e-mail ? You know other people can activate the link now ?