Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    Dude, did you post the actual verification link from your e-mail ? You know other people can activate the link now ?
    Don't think it matters since whomever is doing this manages to confirm the e-mail change process without having access to the link itself, hence making the link fairly useless, also, the link will expire as soon as the e-mail change process goes through. Last but not least, I don't think OP cares since he doesn't even play GW.

img821.imageshack.us/img821/6058/gw2.png

10+ Year Old Account
    got the same thing the day after i registered an account -.-

i checked my emails that i got
    from arenanet when i activated my account and purchased the game and its different from the email your all talking about the one from arenanet was noreply@guildwars2.com or something like that while the other started with guildwars2@ i dont remember the rest but the emails were different so i put the noreply one as a contact and blocked the other
    Last edited by Achaman; 2012-09-01 at 09:25 AM.

Deleted
    Here's a rule of logic: every time you get a mail from ArenaNet, Blizzard, EA, Bioware, Funcom, or whomever else you are subscribed to in a game, go to their site and login from there. Then check if everything is right.

Never click links unless you're 100% sure you've done it. For example if you change a password and 20 sec later you get a mail, it's possibly legit(though I don't know how ArenaNet does this, Blizzard just informed you so you'd know in case you didn't authorize the change).

---------- Post added 2012-09-01 at 12:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I liked Warcraft, and I had to suffer through the World of- part. :P
    I can feel your pain

Deleted
    Got one too, only made the account for beta signup.
    Didn't click the link but when I went to try and sign in to check it said email address is not used on anet.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    Got one too, only made the account for beta signup.
    Didn't click the link but when I went to try and sign in to check it said email address is not used on anet.
    Same here. Signed up for beta but didn't get access or didn't play (cant remember which) but when trying to sign in earlier it said email wasn't used, heh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gortz View Post
    Same here. Signed up for beta but didn't get access or didn't play (cant remember which) but when trying to sign in earlier it said email wasn't used, heh.
    #3 reporting in. Same story, just signed for the beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Here's a rule of logic: every time you get a mail from ArenaNet, Blizzard, EA, Bioware, Funcom, or whomever else you are subscribed to in a game, go to their site and login from there. Then check if everything is right.

Never click links unless you're 100% sure you've done it. For example if you change a password and 20 sec later you get a mail, it's possibly legit(though I don't know how ArenaNet does this, Blizzard just informed you so you'd know in case you didn't authorize the change).

---------- Post added 2012-09-01 at 12:59 PM ----------

I can feel your pain
    i get non-stop phishing mails about my diablo 3 account which is funny since i dont play nor even own diablo 3 so i just block/mark as phishing scam/delete them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    Dude, did you post the actual verification link from your e-mail ? You know other people can activate the link now ?
    ^ sigh, faith in humanity dropping

Deleted
    I honestly cant believe people clicking this link all the time. i really reallyyyyyy don't
    Some people are just plain stupid. Pointing fingers in general
    Last edited by mmoce3c3da46cf; 2012-09-01 at 11:36 AM.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was just some guys working their way down a list of emails they obtained from one of the many compromised databases lately. I think it's time to get a new email because mine has been obtained from at least 5 developers in the past year alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    STill is, in this case what the scamer is trying to do is issue a false email/password reset. What this does is cause Anet to send an official email asking you to authorize the change to the account the same as if you'd issued the request. If you click the link the phisher wins because you just let them change the email on your account to one of their own chooseing and can then have already succeeded in stealing the account.
    This doesn't make sense since it would require that they have your password first. You can't change your email without logging in first. I see several possibilities with what is happening:

1) GW web site has been hacked. Everyone who goes to the guildwar2.com site and attempt to log in will give their ID and password to the hacker(s).
    2) The hacker made a mistake and instead of using their own phishing link, they mistakenly put in the actual Guildwars2.com link.
    3) This email is aimed at people whose computers have been compromised with the old DNS redirect hack (Your host file has been changed) so that when you go to guildwars2.com you're actually going to the hacker's site.

Page just sent link expired when I clicked it, I'm not bothered entirely, I never really played guild wars 1 properly, It was just odd to receive the email

I got 2 emails from "Arena.Net" last nite.

The e-mail address for your Guild Wars account has been changed
    Confirm new e-mail address for your Guild Wars account

I went to the website there is no User name or email account in their database with that email address.

Also I never played Guild Wars, I also didn't set sign up for a beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Deleted
    Got this Email too, didn't click the link.

But it seems it is actually comming from tha Arena database, it indicates that it's compromised:

from guildwars2(d0t)com (Unknown [64.25.40.47]) by mxa(d0t)mailgun(d0t)org
    with ESMTP id 504186a9.50959d0-luna2; Sat, 01 Sep 2012 03:53:13 -0000 (UTC)

IP adress: ip-adress(d0t)cm/ip_tracer/64.25(d0t)40(d0t)47
    neoseeker(d0t)cm/Companies/profiles/nc_interactive/

Got the emails, never clicked and lost my account anyways. As other people say they dont need to access your email for them to steal any type of account you may of had with arenanet. I did actually play guild wars 2 and had bought the game when pre-purchase came up. Currently deciding on just asking for a refund and getting my £50 back.

On the funny side, the email spam from arenanet has stopped which means my phone doesnt beep like crazy. At last count i had around 75 emails in 3 days from them about password change requests. Then the dredded email one came up and boom peace and queit lol.
    Last edited by niblic3rd; 2012-09-02 at 01:03 PM.

Yup I got these emails as well and I don't have a GW2 account, never played the first one either.

First one

Someone -hopefully you!- has requested to change the email address associated with your Guild Wars account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team
    And just after I got a confirmation that I clicked the link, even though I never clicked anything since I knew it had to be spam as I don't have an account.

Your e-mail address has been changed. Please remember to use this new address the next time you log in to your account.

To confirm this change, please click on the link below.

https://account.guildwars2.com/verif...RP&sessid=DERP

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team
    Last edited by zushiba; 2012-09-03 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zushiba View Post
    Yup I got these emails as well and I don't have a GW2 account, never played the first one either.
    Same, I've never played Guild Wars 1 or 2 or registered for any GW betas. I agree with a previous poster that the email list may be from a WoW email list. My account was never compromised in the 4-5 years I played WoW, but I did used to periodically receive spam (which has stopped).

If these emails are coming from legit servers, maybe it's an inside job -- someone making extra money leaking some user permissions, or as someone suggested, GW email servers are compromised. Speculation aside, this is a bit worrisome. Will be looking out to see what happens as someone without a guild wars account to compromise.
    Last edited by sixthfore; 2012-09-04 at 03:48 AM.