10+ Year Old Account

As soon as NC is done with GW2...

As soon as a new shiny toy comes out, they will shut it down just like they did with City of Heroes. The shutting down and termination of what we thought would be a long continuation of an amazing MMO is heartbreaking to it's community, I as a part of it.

I pre-ordered GW2, however I am requesting a refund after this. NCsoft is sick, their marketing strategies are vile. Shut down a game to profit another game? Most of the profit lost wasn't from CoX in the last few quarters, in fact sub numbers were going up.

This is how NCsoft operates, when a new shiny toy comes out they will drop the old one and focus the new one. Just wait til it's your turn, when GW2 is old and rusty.

10+ Year Old Account
    NCSoft isn't the company behind GW2. O_o

They produced it, which doesn't mean what you think it does. They had a much bigger hand in City of Heroes.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-01 at 04:39 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

GW1 was pretty succesfull so I think that's why they support GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    GW1 was pretty succesfull so I think that's why they support GW2.
    Didn't they shut down GW1 though right before GW2? Thought I read something about closure parties on Massively.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

It ran for 7 years and was never really hugely popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Didn't they shut down GW1 though right before GW2? Thought I read something about closure parties on Massively.
    No they didnt. GW1 is still going and no plans to shut it down (and its from 2005). OP is just overreacting or trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    OP is just overreacting or trolling.
    While I don't think this thread is going in a good direction, I think the OP is a former CoH player that is really upset about what happened to the game.

I'm also fairly unhappy with it, as I think they ruined what could have been a really popular online game, but I was never a big CoH player... thanks to being a big WoW player instead.
    CoH was an amazing concept, but it got too grindy for my tastes.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Yeah I was a little pissed to find out they were shutting COH down after I came back after several years and spent several hundreds of dollars on it. NCsoft really shoulda made an announcement earlier letting people know it was on the fence or what ever. I mean ffs they still had the devs working on content, really piss poor PR move on their part.

I just really hope they don't end up pulling that crap on WildStar which is the only other NCSoft published game I will ever play.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    While I don't think this thread is going in a good direction, I think the OP is a former CoH player that is really upset about what happened to the game.

I'm also fairly unhappy with it, as I think they ruined what could have been a really popular online game, but I was never a big CoH player... thanks to being a big WoW player instead.
    CoH was an amazing concept, but it got too grindy for my tastes.
    Well in such case I am sorry for his/your loss. MMO-s should not be shutdown as long as there are people who love to play it. I remember some overdratamtic video on Youtube of a girl crying about Star Wars Galaxies shuting down. Most people laughed at her like she should get a life etc. but I actually felt sorry for her.
    Last edited by Awe; 2012-09-01 at 04:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    Well in such case I am sorry for his/your loss. MMO-s should not be shutdown as long as there are people who love to play it. I remember some overdratamtic video on Youtube of a girl crying about Star Wars Galaxies shuting down. Most people laughed at her like she should get a life etc. but I actually felt sorry for her.
    What's particularly wrong with it, I think, is that Paragon Studios wasn't always a branch of NCSoft.

On a more personal level, despite the fact that I never got to max level because the actual gameplay didn't seem that exciting to me...
    I absolutely loved everything about their powers concepts. The character building and the character customization, to me, was the most top-notch I've ever seen.

I really loved the idea that, as a Blaster, I could be Electric/Electric with my superpowers... and another Blaster, while still ostensibly filling the same role, could be Ice/Ice. or Plant/Fire. Or any of the other dozens of power sets that Blasters have access to.
    I have never seen any other MMO manage to allow player characters to be so heavily customized while still maintaining a fairly level playing field in terms of balance, and I'm going to miss it.

That's what made CoH fun for me, in my limited time of playing it. And I'm sad that no other developers have attempted to emulate that. Guild Wars 2 comes fairly close - not all Warriors will be Axe/Axe.

But in the end, we all have access to the same skills and abilities. An Ele/Ele Blaster does not have access to all the same abilities that a Fire/Fire Blaster has, and we have different strengths/weaknesses.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-01 at 05:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm grateful that NCSoft is not ArenaNet, and I hope they will keep a long distance from ArenaNet and their Guild Wars 2.
    Shadowpriest & Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Emzky View Post
    I'm grateful that NCSoft is not ArenaNet, and I hope they will keep a long distance from ArenaNet and their Guild Wars 2.
    ArenaNet is a fully owned subsidiary of NCSoft.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Yeah I was a little pissed to find out they were shutting COH down after I came back after several years and spent several hundreds of dollars on it. NCsoft really shoulda made an announcement earlier letting people know it was on the fence or what ever. I mean ffs they still had the devs working on content, really piss poor PR move on their part.

I just really hope they don't end up pulling that crap on WildStar which is the only other NCSoft published game I will ever play.
    NCsoft sort of did the same to Tabula Rasa as well, it wasn't pulling the numbers they expected so they killed it exactly one year after launch when they had the first big content patch on the test servers.
    Any company that repeatedly does this is pretty scary because the whole point of MMORPG is to get attached to your character in a persistant world over time, even if the game does really bad they should just stop supporting it or something but still keep a few servers up as it costs them nothing.

Hopefully ArenaNet are and stays as independent as they claim to be even though NCsoft owns them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    ArenaNet is a fully owned subsidiary of NCSoft.
    It's really not the same thing. ArenaNet is not a "branch" of NCSoft, the way Paragon Studios is.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    It's really not the same thing. ArenaNet is not a "branch" of NCSoft, the way Paragon Studios is.
    Paragon Studios isn't a branch in that sense, either. They had autonomy comparable to ArenaNet.

As I understand it, the following factors are likely to have factored into the shutdown:

(1) City of Heroes is profitable, but doesn't make a lot of money (they have somewhere north of $10 million in revenue annually, as I recall).
    (2) When NCSoft bought the franchise, they licensed the engine. The license supposedly is up for renewal, and it is still owned by Cryptic Studios, which is owned by Perfect World, an NCSoft competitor.
    (3) NCSoft had a financially difficult quarter.

The best guesses we have is that City of Heroes was considered just too much of a distraction for NCSoft, with not enough benefits to keep it running. But the shutdown had nothing to do with how much or how little influence NCSoft had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    Paragon Studios isn't a branch in that sense, either. They had autonomy comparable to ArenaNet.

As I understand it, the following factors are likely to have factored into the shutdown:

(1) City of Heroes is profitable, but doesn't make a lot of money (they have somewhere north of $10 million in revenue annually, as I recall).
    (2) When NCSoft bought the franchise, they licensed the engine. The license supposedly is up for renewal, and it is still owned by Cryptic Studios, which is owned by Perfect World, an NCSoft competitor.
    (3) NCSoft had a financially difficult quarter.

The best guesses we have is that City of Heroes was considered just too much of a distraction for NCSoft, with not enough benefits to keep it running. But the shutdown had nothing to do with how much or how little influence NCSoft had.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragon_Studios

Worth noting: Founded in November 2007 as NCsoft NorCal

From it's very inception, the company was just NCSoft in disguise. Or rather, part of it.

Arena Net was "acquired" by NCSoft to be sure, but that was back in 2002. They've been around longer, and they're still very much their own company.

Arena Net is no more related to NCSoft, than Blizzard is related to Vivendi.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-01 at 05:28 PM.

Lets tone down the crazy conspiracy just a little.

Okay closing this for a few reasons:

1. Troll bait.
    2. Information in the OP is fraudulent.
    3. Conspiracy theory.

Do not make these kind of threads in the future.

-- Fencers
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-09-01 at 05:30 PM.