Deleted

Moving from WoW to GW2

So as the title says, I am thinking of moving from WoW to GW2 soon, and I had a few general questions i was hoping to get answered.

*I have played WoW almost since release week, and as a Discipline priest for most of it. I love the playstyle and healing / support in general, is there a class whose mechanics are even close to this?

*I almost exclusively pvp, how is it at the moment in GW2? Easy to get in to / balanced / fun / decent queue times?

*What are the rewards gained through pvping? titles / mounts etc.

*Is there 'pvp gear' so to say, or would i be gearing through pve to be able to do pvp?

Any and all answers and suggestions would be more than appreciated <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not both?

GW2 pvp is extremely easy to get into, it's just hard to master. You can jump into pvp the moment you're out of the tutorial area, if you hate pve.

You can't be a dedicated healer role spamming heals on HP bars, but you can play a supportive class with the idea of helping to keep your team alive, with buffs, debuffs, cleansing, healing, controlling the enemy.

PvP rewards are primarily titles, cosmetically awesome gear, etc etc.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-01 at 07:27 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    WvWvW is slightly unbalanced for some because of server population difference but that's mostly been fixed now that it's the second matching.
    Some titles but no mounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    1: Generally there are no healing classes in GW2 and especially no absorption kind of spells. So I don't think so. (Everyone has their own kind of heal with the Elementalist having some kind of healing spells)

2: IMO it's fun. It's different from WoW PvP because of the Dodge mechanic where you can literally dodge somebody's attack. The queues are fine and balance-wise I haven't seen any trouble yet.

3: The rewards are gear items I believe, but only gear you can use in PvP. There are no titles/mounts in GW2.

4: Yes there is. When you first enter the Mists (the PvP preparation kind of zone) you're kitted in full standard pvp gear and your lvl is raised to 80. You can buy PvP gear/weapons with different kind of attributes to fit your likings. You can't use the gear you use in the real world in PvP. At leats not in sPvP. I do believe you can use your PvE gear in WvWvW though.

As for suggestions I suggest you go look at some class guides on YouTube. I watched Wolf Go Rawr's guild wars 2 class guides to make my decision. Only problem is that he doesn't show you the utility skills of the classes which you can easily look up on the GW2 wiki.

Deleted
    guildwars dosent have a sub fee so you can try it and see.

As a disc priest, you might actually like the Guardian. They can protect allies, and are pretty awesome all-around. I played a disc/shadow priest in WoW, so I know where you're coming from. I am playing a Necromancer right now, because I like dark casters (hence the shadow priest), and I'm loving it. I do sometimes miss my priest, but it is what it is. I am probably going to level a Guardian next.

Also, the PvP is a lot of fun. It's better then WoW's PvP, trust me. I PvPed A TON in WoW, and had to quit with Cataclysm, because I just couldn't stand it anymore. It seems zergy at first in GW2, but if you get a team that works together, it's a lot of fun. I haven't done WvW yet, so I can't speak for that, but from what I hear, it's kind of like a massive Wintergrasp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    As a disc priest, you might actually like the Guardian. They can protect allies, and are pretty awesome all-around.
    As a retired Holy Priest I can second this. A Guardian does play very different from a Priest, but it does pushes the same pleasure-centers in my brain.

The game is phenomenal, especially the pvp aspect of it , in that there's one bracket, lvl 80. Everyone gets boosted(if sub lvl 80) both in gear and in lvl. The dodge mechanic makes for much more interesting encounters and raises the skill bar considerably.

The one recommendation I have is to wait a bit, w/ all the security issues among other things associated w/ any launch, it may very well be in your best interest to wait (if you can) until these things get remedied. It will only improve you overall experience, but is rather difficult w/ how fun the game is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    4: Yes there is. When you first enter the Mists (the PvP preparation kind of zone) you're kitted in full standard pvp gear and your lvl is raised to 80. You can buy PvP gear/weapons with different kind of attributes to fit your likings. You can't use the gear you use in the real world in PvP. At leats not in sPvP. I do believe you can use your PvE gear in WvWvW though.
    i am sure this is a stupid question, but- if you can join pvp and get instant lvl 80 and pvp gear, is there any point in actually levelling normally?

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    you can play a supportive class with the idea of helping to keep your team alive, with buffs, debuffs, cleansing, healing, controlling the enemy.
    what class or classes would be the most focused on support over damage? would like to watch a few videos before i make my mind up =)

Quote Originally Posted by baline View Post
    guildwars dosent have a sub fee so you can try it and see.
    This. Even if you are "meh" about it, and will only play it sometimes, at least it doesn't have a sub fee, so you can play off and on as you please.

---------- Post added 2012-09-01 at 03:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by abbot View Post
    what class or classes would be the most focused on support over damage? would like to watch a few videos before i make my mind up =)
    I would say Guardian. They can do a hell of a lot of damage and take a hell of a lot of damage, too, though. But, they are a nice support class as well.

Deleted
    To be honest, I don't think you will find anything like a disc priest, or any other healing class on WoW. GW2 for me, is very disconnected to the playstyle and aims of playing a healer on WoW. As a resto shaman for 5 years of raiding, I really struggled at first of the concept of giving up that dedicated healing role. Personally, I would say that I find GW2 absolutely nothing like playing a healing class on WoW, but imagine you were playing your disc priest as DPS... and throwing out off heals/buffs/cure etc. I know that I often used to run heroic dungeons as elemental, and just throw out off heals onto the tank, and that's more of how I've adjusted to GW2.

Because I am such a healer and the thought of not healing was filling me with horror, I chose elementalist and I play a very support healing heavy build because that really suits my playstyle, but even with pretty much going as support as I can, it's still clear that when working with a group my primary functions are still... dps, control, conditions (debuffs), spreading boons (buffs) and actual direct healing (it's not really direct, it's aoe splash healing), still comes last. If like me you really want to be offering that extra support then I can recommend elementalist - it's a LOT of fun That's the only class I've played so far so the only one I can personally speak on.

The PvP is extremely easy to get into and very fluid. Queue times for WvW (think wintergrasp style but on a MASSIVE scale, like 4-5x the size at least) are very long on my server (Northern Shiverpeaks, it's a VERY serious high population pvp server), but sPvP (think small bgs with capping flags/bases similar to AB) is instant.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2012-09-01 at 07:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What class or classes would be the most focused on support over damage?Would like to watch a few videos before I make my mind up =)
    Every profession is pretty good at support, they just go about it in different ways. That being said, I would recommend the Guardian. While other professions can choose to do support, the Guardian is supportive from the ground up.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Not sure if anyone said it but I have a friend from WoW who doesn't PvE at all - You can go into structured PvP immediately. He hit level 5 on his character, got bored, and went to structured PvP.

In structured PvP you have endlessly reset-able traits, instant level 80, full level 80 PvP-only gear, all of the abilities unlocked and access to battlegrounds. He's been pretty much doing this for a lot of the time he's been online, so you don't even have to grind to 80 in order to get into PvP.

Deleted
    Ok so guardian seems to be the way to go for me, tried watching some guardian pvp vids but I have no clue wtf is going on ^_____^

Guess I will need to wait to actually play it to see for myself.

So as the title says, I am thinking of moving from WoW to GW2 soon, and I had a few general questions i was hoping to get answered.

*I have played WoW almost since release week, and as a Discipline priest for most of it. I love the playstyle and healing / support in general, is there a class whose mechanics are even close to this?
    NO.

Having said that the Guardian and Elementalist have the best specs to favor group survivability. You just won't be casting direct heals to save peoples lives, but you can make it extremely difficult for people in your group to die.

*I almost exclusively pvp, how is it at the moment in GW2? Easy to get in to / balanced / fun / decent queue times?
    Queue for non ranked PvP is instant. WvWvW is instant at the moment. Its fun but confusing for a WoW player, when you get the idea of it you will find it pretty fun.
    *What are the rewards gained through pvping? titles / mounts etc.
    Tokens for gear, crafting stuff but other than that I don't know.
    *Is there 'pvp gear' so to say, or would i be gearing through pve to be able to do pvp?
    No, no PvP gear. All item levels at max level are the same (ie everything has a total of X stats). Your gear gets boosted to that item level when you join PvP so you can pvp in the gear you have. However the default PvP gear that they sell have power, toughness and vitality and thats it. I wouldn't think that those are the stats you want but more like here is something to get you started.

Any and all answers and suggestions would be more than appreciated <3
    Best suggestion is to uninstall WoW completely from your brain if you can. This game is way different from WoW and if you level/pvp anything similar to WoW you will take longer, or be under the power curve significantly.

---------- Post added 2012-09-01 at 07:58 PM ----------

i am sure this is a stupid question, but- if you can join pvp and get instant lvl 80 and pvp gear, is there any point in actually levelling normally?

For sPvP it won't matter. For WvWvW your stats only get boosted to 80, but your skills and amount of talent points remain the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not unless you enjoy PvE?

It's also worth noting that WvW *scales* you to 80, but doesn't give you access to all your skills and such. sPvP levels you to 80 and gives you access to all your level 80 traits and skills.

Note that you're not "leveled" to 80 in the sense that "Oh, if I go to the Mists, and then go back, I'm 80!" you're just counted as being 80. Level is only actually a consideration for PvE and WvW.

---------- Post added 2012-09-01 at 03:00 PM ----------

Probably Guardian and Elementalist. *shrugs*

Warriors and Rangers are good at it too, though, and all classes have ways to support allies, depending on build.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.