Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    Thats honestly just a marketing tactic used by all the current day MMO's ,
    One does not implement a marketing tactic and then closes the sales. That just doesn't compute. They really believe it's a revolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    I'd argue that the way the grind is presented makes it MUCH more manageable than grinding mobs would be in say, WoW. But I understand that it comes down to personal opinion.
    The only manageable grind is exploration (vista, poi, tp, skill). It gives a nice reward and is fun to do - 'cause every area have different geography.
    Hearts feel too grindy, and sadly they are a part of exploration feat in every area 'cept for cities.
    Jumping puzzles are fun but they are few.
    To level up you have to do hearts and events. These are too grindy to some people's tastes, including mine.
    Especially considering that it is "end game", since you can "level up" beyond level 80 to gain trait points, afaik.

P.S. crafting is a quintessence of grind in almost any MMO (SWTOR is an exception), in GW2 it is particularly grindy due to the low amount of resources gained while casually playing.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2012-09-02 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    so tell me, if the dev's never lie: what in this game is a revolution?
    No more trinity based system
    Traded faction wars for server wars
    Quest system changed from a static one to a dynamic one
    A skill system based on weapon used
    Hybridization between an old school targetting system and an action oriented hack-and-slash gameplay.

Seriously, what are you looking for, a MMO that lets you shoot lazer beams by playing golf while falling through space? Revolution means its very different, it does not mean it suddently turns into a different genre.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    So yeah, I bought GW2. Played nearly half a day today and you know, I don't really get the whole "redefining the genre" they were prophesizing. The game looks and feels very polished, and the graphics and attention to detail are absolutely stunning. Having said that, I feel extremely "meh" about world events. The idea was that they were supposed to make the world feel alive, but so far I honestly can't say that I get that feeling. Maybe this is only true for low levels, but they feel very simplistic and repetitive. But the worst part is that the events fail to actually connect me to the world.

Lets say I'm running somewhere and the event pops up. I see some monsters attacking some place (or maybe defending some place) and I'm invited to kill them. But I don't understand neither 1) what that place is 2) who are the bad guys 3) why are they attacking it 4) why should I even care? Furthermore, events seem to happen very frequently, and the same event always happens in the same place, so in the end they really just feel like good old "bear asses" quests that you just don't need to specifically pick up. The only difference is that you have to hunt for them in the world, instead of grabbing them in the closest village. And since most events have very simplistic objectives, it just feels like all I'm doing is grinding monsters.

Just an example - in low Charr zone there's a place with old overgrown statue of some ancient deity. When you approach, you get a random event to kill monsters near the statue. That's basically it. Only because I played GW1, I remember this place, and the statue, and I kinda know what's going on. If I didn't - it would just be a simple "hey, there's some monster here, kill them. Done? Thanks, here's some xp, keep going".

I do like the personal quest, and I would most likely continue to play until 80 just to see the beautiful zones and play through the personal story, I just really wish there were more stories in this game.
    Dynamic Event don't just randomly happen, let me make it really clear on that. Dynamic Event happen because someone somewhere talk to an npc and that start the event. You have no idea why event happen because either you didn't start it or did start it but didn't care to listen to what the npc had to say. Now if you are not going to care about what is happening then what are you doing in a mmorpg in the first place.

Deleted
    at the begining I couldnt wait to play all the classes, created 4 alts as soon as game lunched, and was even angry we only have 5 character slots.
    My main is lvl 50 right now and I did all zones to 100% up to lvl 40 (52% world completion), and I decided to play on my alts for a bit today, and it was horrible, I don't think I will level up any alt in tthis game to lvl 80, it was really fun first time, but doing the hearts, exploration for second time was boring as hell, and I would kill for optional, linear story progression.

---------- Post added 2012-09-02 at 01:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nikijih View Post
    No more trinity based system
    Traded faction wars for server wars
    Quest system changed from a static one to a dynamic one
    A skill system based on weapon used
    Hybridization between an old school targetting system and an action oriented hack-and-slash gameplay.

Seriously, what are you looking for, a MMO that lets you shoot lazer beams by playing golf while falling through space? Revolution means its very different, it does not mean it suddently turns into a different genre.
    yeah they did, but not all this changes are for the best actually. It's like new car manufacture for revolution put square weels to their cars, it's just stupid.
    Last edited by mmoca01e16f76d; 2012-09-02 at 01:18 AM.

yeah they did, but all this changes are not for the best actually. It's like new car manufacture for revolution put square weels to their cars.
    Your attempts at pushing your personal preferences as universal truths are rather pathetic, mate. Am I even allowed to disagree with you, or does that not factor in your universe? To me, every single one of those changes was for the best. None of those make the game dysfunctional as a square-wheeled car would be, its simply that you prefer the old way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    yeah they did, but all this changes are not for the best actually. It's like new car manufacture for revolution put square weels to their cars, it's just stupid.
    Just cause you don't like it, doesn't make it stupid. It's nothing like that in the least. It's more like deciding to use electricity instead of gasoline. Not everybody wants to go that way, and it has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

Or maybe it's closer to getting a van over a car, I don't know. Point being that it's not stupid - you just don't like it, and you're not everyone.

Actually, even better: You might as well be telling me that Shaman are stupid, and that Mages are better. Different strokes.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-02 at 01:06 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    How is it not evolutionary? You know what an evolution is, don't you?

In previous MMOs, you had to run up to a quest giver, say hello, and accept a quest into your quest log. It's so very formulaic and expected that people just kinda don't pay attention to it, and mechanically go through the steps over and over and over, thousands of times.
    That step has been removed. Now you just get the quest showing up on your screen - don't even have a quest log.
    That's very much an improvement, and makes the questing experience more smooth. Much less of a hassle.

You can still talk to the NPC if you want to get some random lore stuff, but you don't have to - There's tons of NPCs in the game you can talk to for lore things that have absolutely NO association with hearts or events. They're just fun lore.

That's definitely an evolution of the questing experience on its own. There's numerous other small evolutions in the game like this.
    Sorry Drake what you call an evolution I just call different. Other MMOs have done different before.

---------- Post added 2012-09-01 at 08:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Heres 2 good questions, what MMO doesn't have grind? Whats wrong with grind??
    None. Nothing. The problem is the devs and some sensationalist fanboys kept saying gw2 was going completely away from the grind.

Also, I love your signature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yuca247 View Post
    Sorry Drake what you call an evolution I just call different. Other MMOs have done different before.
    There are certain things you have to admit are an improvement in design, such as what I described directly in that quote. I don't see how you can dislike it, or say you prefer the older, more tedious method.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

its hardly evolutionary tho drake
    WvWvW is a worse version of AV due to realm/server imbalances and SUPER poor thought out scoring systems and the standard PvP is subject to gearing despite what they said about an equal gearing base.
    Hahahaha

OH WOW - it's like you didn't even play WvWvW.

Tell me, how many times in AV did you defend a keep that flies your guild banner - defending it with multiple siege weapons? Meanwhile the enemy builds their own rams and manages to finally break down your gate after a long drawn out battle - so you rush back to the inner walls. It looks like the enemy may finally be retreating after constant bombardment by arrow carts and cannons... and then your siege weapons get devastated. You notice across the way that the enemy has built a ballista - out of range of your cannons and carts. There is but one option - You and a few dedicated guild members must sneak behind the enemy and destroy that ballista at all costs.

But hey, I guess a 20 minute match where you rush the enemy boss and slowly hold towers for five minutes is pretty neat.
    Last edited by KvanCetre; 2012-09-02 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Mixed up AB and AV. It's been a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yuca247 View Post
    None. Nothing. The problem is the devs and some sensationalist fanboys kept saying gw2 was going completely away from the grind.

Also, I love your signature.
    I never said it doesn't have grind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KvanCetre View Post
    Hahahaha

OH WOW - it's like you didn't even play WvWvW.

Tell me, how many times in AV did you defend a keep that flies your guild banner - defending it with multiple siege weapons? Meanwhile the enemy builds their own rams and manages to finally break down your gate after a long drawn out battle - so you rush back to the inner walls. It looks like the enemy may finally be retreating after constant bombardment by arrow carts and cannons... and then your siege weapons get devastated. You notice across the way that the enemy has built a ballista - out of range of your cannons and carts. There is but one option - You and a few dedicated guild members must sneak behind the enemy and destroy that ballista at all costs.

But hey, I guess a 20 minute match where you rush the enemy boss and slowly hold towers for five minutes is pretty neat.
    good to know you didn't play the better, vanilla, version of AV: this makes your opinion a lot more pointless but hey, i'll continue cuz im a kind person.

the reason why AV is better than WvWvW is cuz of the scoring system: a-net screwed up with the scoring system in WvWvW so for some servers its impossible to gain dominance either due to numbers (the wintergrasp issue), no pressure (attendance issue) and overall server population issue

WvWvW is terrible: its AV/Wintergrasp on steroids in terms of bad.

There are certain things you have to admit are an improvement in design, such as what I described directly in that quote. I don't see how you can dislike it, or say you prefer the older, more tedious method.
    the loot system (a copy of d3 tbh) - is this an improvement?
    class balance - is there an improvement (there isnt, numbers already show which classes are noticably stronger than others)

the trading post - is this an improvement?

note: most of the d3 populace hate the loot system.
    Last edited by mmoca7d90cf5ae; 2012-09-02 at 01:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's go thru those then:
    No quest givers. Not an evolution and is a false statement while we are at it.
    1. Event system was not invented in GW2. Public events in WO - you didn't need to talk to NPC.
    2. There are quest givers in GW2 - the story ones, and the manual event ones - you know those with big circular starry things above their heads.
    3. They removed all area quest hubs and replaced them with PE - that is Hearts. Hardly an evolution. Just a different approach to questing. That has been around before in other MMOs. They just remove area quests. If in WO you had both quests and PE - in GW2 you have only PE. That's devolution. Less options.

good to know you didn't play the better, vanilla, version of AV: this makes your opinion a lot more pointless but hey, i'll continue cuz im a kind person.

the reason why AV is better than WvWvW is cuz of the scoring system: a-net screwed up with the scoring system in WvWvW so for some servers its impossible to gain dominance either due to numbers (the wintergrasp issue), no pressure (attendance issue) and overall server population issue

I could explain all the mistakes you made in your understand of WvWvW, but it's clear you're an ignorant, rude child who would refuse to see logic if it smacked her in her face. People like you do nothing but bring down this community. I'm out.

Deleted
    also an area quest (DE for example) has been in WOW.

AQ event
    demon invasion
    ud invasion
    elemental invasion

and these were memorable things.

Deleted
    I think you're talking about the Charr Effigy... well, I thought that was epic. Me and 2 other friends were part of it, and as seasoned raiders we almost died. Maybe there were too many people there when you did it?

How ignorant can you be? WvWvW is currently in a ranking phase where Anet is trying to figure out server strenghts so that we have good pairings IN THE FUTURE. Yes, right now its really unbalanced. Thats normal, and you would know that if you ever did research before spouting on a subject.

As for old school AV... Sorry man, but again, you are obviously talking out of your ass. Old school AV was two things: (A) a bunch of bots grinding wolves/rams (B) the rest of us fighting for 2 days in the middle of the map. Are you seriously comparing full blown siege warfare to AV?!?!?!? Thats like comparing a plane to a guy who rolls around in glue and feathers...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    No quest givers. Not an evolution and is a false statement while we are at it.
    I'm going to stop here, because this statement makes absolutely no sense to me.

Deleted
    hey im just saying, wvwvw isnt fun cuz of the messed up scoring system.

its totally trash atm and the scoring system needs to be fixed, or the entire thing needs to be taken down until something is fixed: atm its either bugged, or heavily favouring people who play at 2-8am (EU time)

maybe im ignorant cuz i cba playing 3v24459898283729792

thats the wintergrasp issue/syndrome right there, and it wasn't fun in wintergrasp either - infact blizzard even stated they messed up on multiple accounts with wintergrasp.

nvm tho, wvwvw is revolutionary, because we've never had pvp where servers fight against each other... except in like other RvR games, rated bgs, and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikijih View Post
    How ignorant can you be? WvWvW is currently in a ranking phase where Anet is trying to figure out server strenghts so that we have good pairings IN THE FUTURE. Yes, right now its really unbalanced. Thats normal, and you would know that if you ever did research before spouting on a subject.

As for old school AV... Sorry man, but again, you are obviously talking out of your ass. Old school AV was two things: (A) a bunch of bots grinding wolves/rams (B) the rest of us fighting for 2 days in the middle of the map. Are you seriously comparing full blown siege warfare to AV?!?!?!? Thats like comparing a plane to a guy who rolls around in glue and feathers...
    It's good to see someone else actually remembers what AV was and doesn't live on the nostalgia that oldtimers tell the younglings.
    But honestly, don't even try to argue - it's clear this is a person who is only here to argue and incite.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to stop here, because this statement makes absolutely no sense to me.
    It's hardly a reason to stop. You could get the meaning from the rest.
    But I can break it down to you:
    1. "No quest givers" - is not an evolution
    2. "No quest givers" - is a false statement. There are quest givers in GW2.